Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

financial advice????

financial advice????

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

daveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the rough
Default financial advice????

Hi
Please don't send abuse or set contracts on us We are not all parasites!!

Is anyone involved or knows of anyone in Financial Services. Just been told that the new rules class this as skilled, not sure if it’s true but would be interested to hear from you all.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:45 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: financial advice????

just thought I would bump this up for you
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

What role within Financial Services do you currently do?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

daveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the rough

I left F/S 3 years ago to set up my own business. The last position I had was as a senior advice with a top 10 Building Society advising on Inheritance Tax planning and investments. I have recently had several offers to go back to the industry but not that keen in the UK unless it was for a reason i.e. gaining qualification for emigration.

As there was no response to this thread I had a peek on the ozzie forum where someone had asked almost the same and it was buzzin with replies. I guess there are not that many F/S advisers in NZ.

Cheers
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine you'd need to do some further training to get familiar with NZ law initially.

There are a number of financial planners, some independent, but on average most Kiwis invest only in property and use their accountant and solicitor for advice. The majority of people seem to have very little disposable income or savings.

Try looking in the Yellow Pages to get an idea of the market www.yellow.co.nz. Aus is no doubt a bigger market but good luck wherever you end up.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sarahw
I imagine you'd need to do some further training to get familiar with NZ law initially.

There are a number of financial planners, some independent, but on average most Kiwis invest only in property and use their accountant and solicitor for advice. The majority of people seem to have very little disposable income or savings.

Try looking in the Yellow Pages to get an idea of the market www.yellow.co.nz. Aus is no doubt a bigger market but good luck wherever you end up.
Thanks Saraw, I was sort of getting that idea. Oz does offer more options but I am 46 (dam had to admit it) so not an option for me. I will have a look at the insurance companies, do you know if they have BDM's (basically reps).

I'll keep digging not give up yet
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveandjue123
Thanks Saraw, I was sort of getting that idea. Oz does offer more options but I am 46 (dam had to admit it) so not an option for me. I will have a look at the insurance companies, do you know if they have BDM's (basically reps).

Is your profession on the skills shortage list for Oz????

What about the good lady, is she younger than you and hence more desirable to Oz????

As sarahw said there are different rules applicable in NZ, indeed for our financial advise we sought our solicitor who was a fountain of information but...........only as she interpreted the law of the land.

Somewhat surprisingly the others that appeared to have a degree of knowledge were.............(you are going to love this)................estate agents!

Keep hunting and check out dima for Oz.

NG
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:50 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

I do work for insurers and when I went along to the emigration fairs the recruitment Co.s suggested that I approach the Insurers direct or talk to Hays, who do personnel work for insurers in NZ.
My 2007 Insurance Directory has their listing with a website:
hays-hps.co.nz
Also it lists:
jet recruitment 09 620 0046
enterprise recruitment www.enterprise.co.nz
quinn staff www.quinnstaff.co.nz
BTW there is no inheritance tax in NZ (as one of our favourite doubleganger, multiple personalities informed us on another thread) and most Kiwis take their property and place it in trust to avoid taxes....
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nice Guy

What about the good lady, is she younger than you and hence more desirable to Oz????

As sarahw said there are different rules applicable in NZ, indeed for our financial advise we sought our solicitor who was a fountain of information but...........only as she interpreted the law of the land.

Somewhat surprisingly the others that appeared to have a degree of knowledge were.............(you are going to love this)................estate agents!

NG

I have worked with solicitors most of my time in F/S and bless, interpretation normally means playing it so safe they can't be sued once they know someone can advise their clients professionally and they can't get sued they love it

Not sure if it's the same over there but aim to find out. And yes the wife is younger, and desirable, but not in the sense of skilled work

cheers

Dave
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nice Guy

NG
If solicitors can give financial advice do they need qualification, and if so any idea what the min qual is. I know there is a similar qualification in oz to the uk and this can be obtained over here so your up and running when you get there. Is there a similar thing in NZ
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:27 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

If solicitors can give financial advice do they need qualification, and if so any idea what the min qual is. I know there is a similar qualification in oz to the uk and this can be obtained over here so your up and running when you get there. Is there a similar thing in NZ
good place to start looking might be:
http://www.theinstitute.com.au/anziif/
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:35 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I work in banking, sort of.

I think the 2 bigger advisors in Dunedin who might be hiring are Strang Financial Services (now part of Vestar) and Myles Planning.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:32 am
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice

Hi there,

You might want to have a word with Mike Cole of BritsNZ, I believe he is a financial advisor and has set up his own business in New Plymouth. He has a website. Britsnz.co.nz where he has further contact information. Worth a try to find out what the regulations are and what the lay of the land is so to speak.