Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Finances.. shopping.. making friends..

Finances.. shopping.. making friends..

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finances.. shopping.. making friends..

Why's that? Onehunga, Ohau Beach?, Omaha?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

BenP is an unknown quantity at this point

She is looking to move to Whangarei Northland, eg Otangarei, Oatika
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

In recent weeks I've purchased wallpaper, running trainers and a coat online from the UK for around a third of the price including postage. So if you're smart you can make life more affordable.

If only I could get some paint and carpet in the post.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenP
She is looking to move to Whangarei Northland, eg Otangarei, Oatika
I think she's moving back to the big O. Overseas, back home.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenP
i work at one of the largest employers in the region and thats higher than 85% of salaries there.

That's the key fact. You're not on the median income, you're almost in the highest decile... and it's good to hear someone plainly admit it and how it makes life easier. And that's great for you and your family.

My simple view on New Zealand is this: Great place if you've got the money or work in a high-waged, high-skilled and in demand field, usually a managerial or technical one. Or if you're financially comfortable through substantial savings, a windfall or released capital. Or perhaps if you want to go back to the land and live as simply as possible.

However, for the vast majority of low to middle income earners, accustomed to certain living standards in the UK, you're probably going to struggle or make sacrifices to live in a far-flung and remote country. New Zealand isn't what it was 20-30 years ago for the middle class on mean or median incomes, those days are long gone.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

carpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Or stop running 30 miles per week.
LOL That is funny! Says me having taken up rollerblading recently. Might well need some of those plasters myself!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

BenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Purrball
That's the key fact. You're not on the median income, you're almost in the highest decile... and it's good to hear someone plainly admit it and how it makes life easier. And that's great for you and your family.

My simple view on New Zealand is this: Great place if you've got the money or work in a high-waged, high-skilled and in demand field, usually a managerial or technical one. Or if you're financially comfortable through substantial savings, a windfall or released capital. Or perhaps if you want to go back to the land and live as simply as possible.

However, for the vast majority of low to middle income earners, accustomed to certain living standards in the UK, you're probably going to struggle or make sacrifices to live in a far-flung and remote country. New Zealand isn't what it was 20-30 years ago for the middle class on mean or median incomes, those days are long gone.
Very true statement.

Most of the people I work with have either been overseas to earn the big money or younger and gaining the skills to go overseas to earn. Most realise the opportunities are not here but I think $95k is a very decent kiwi wage and you will live very comfortable.

Saying that not many people I know in the uk earn £40k, most of my friends only just earn that on joint income.