Finance Question

Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future
Default Finance Question

HI everyone

I have a question about financing things.

A delicate issue for some, but when we come out we will have a pot of money but not a huge pot and we will need cash for deposits and so on to get started before salary starts coming in. So we dont really want to be putting large sums into things like buying a car and so on. How soon after you arrive and get bank accounts etc can you do things like buy a car on finance, or even get a mortgage. Do you have to provide evidence of your credit worthiness from home in order to borrow or do they even care?

Thanks

Nisey
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:37 am
Banned

Hang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Finance Question

Opening a bank account is easy, just go in there and do it.

Getting a mortgage, you'll probably need a job offer letter for.

Sticking a car on finance is simple, as soon as you have an address - I did it 5 days after arriving.

They don't generally check UK credit - the mortgage company might want to see 3 months of UK bank statements, but they seemed pretty relaxed about that sort of stuff.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:32 pm
NZ is calling.....

Smelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really nice

Do you need PR for any loans or is a working permit enough? Im glad someone asked this question i was going to get round to it eventually!

Fi
x
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Credit checks in NZ seem to be the opposite of in the UK. In NZ you only get black marks on your credit record and so a blank credit record is taken as being a good thing.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:50 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be a resident I believe for finance, but its certainly easier here than in the UK. My estate agent did a check for me in front of me. And each time a person runs a check, it INCREASES your chances of credit because companies see that other companies have passed you! I had no worries getting approved for broadband, and passing the check to rent. They only take NZ into account, not the UK. Opening a bank account is certainly easy here, not sure about things like mortgages though. Good luck!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

stacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to all

No you dont need to be a resident for financing a car or getting credit cards either. Just a work permit and your works contract will do.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:17 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stacey19
No you dont need to be a resident for financing a car or getting credit cards either. Just a work permit and your works contract will do.
What about a tourist visa? And as an individual do you need proof of income? Or is it household income do you know?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:26 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

A good or bad UK rating does not count at all? Is there a limit on the size of mortgage a new migrant can take out?

So, does that mean I can declare myself Bankrupt and disappear to NZ without paying the credit card bill!!!

I might be there quicker than I thougt!!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

As long as you don't ever want to come back to the UK, you can do exactly that. But you may loose any and all equity in your home and other assets in order to pay things off.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:20 pm

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

I bank with the HSBC and have their Credit Cards. The HSBC is in NZ, is it possible to transfer all my details from the UK banking to NZ banking??

Are there any benefits in this?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Weird I was reading your post and saw the link on the toolbar below for HSBC international services, there might be something there.......

Nisey
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

If you bank at HSBC they can open an account for you here in advance. You will need to allow 4-6 weeks before arrival for it to be open. You can have your bank card sent to you in the UK or have it delivered to a friend's house in NZ. You will not need an IRD number to open the account, but should supply it when you get one. We opened with HSBC before we came out. It was easy and nice to have some money immediately on arrival. HSBC only has branches in Auckland. You can use WESTPAC bank machines at no cost and can use the depost tower at Westpac for deposits if needed. Employers oay by direct deposit.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
If you bank at HSBC they can open an account for you here in advance. You will need to allow 4-6 weeks before arrival for it to be open. You can have your bank card sent to you in the UK or have it delivered to a friend's house in NZ. You will not need an IRD number to open the account, but should supply it when you get one. We opened with HSBC before we came out. It was easy and nice to have some money immediately on arrival. HSBC only has branches in Auckland. You can use WESTPAC bank machines at no cost and can use the depost tower at Westpac for deposits if needed. Employers oay by direct deposit.
Thanks for that. Seems the way to go.

Paul
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sirplug
Thanks for that. Seems the way to go.

Paul
Please check the HSBC NZ website for the location of branches - if you are settling in Auckland it may work, but just be aware that physical access to this bank is limited.
Presumably there are ATMs belonging to another bank that you can use in the rest of the country that are free to access?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Dave in Auckland will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sirplug
I bank with the HSBC and have their Credit Cards. The HSBC is in NZ, is it possible to transfer all my details from the UK banking to NZ banking??

Are there any benefits in this?
No

NZ charges are higher & NZ CC interest is MUCH higher than a UK card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.