Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Filling up at the pump

Filling up at the pump

Old Nov 8th 2012, 3:01 am
Confused but Alive

tattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud of
Default Filling up at the pump

Bonjourno!!

When we go to certain fuel stations to fill the 'ol tank up, there is sometimes someone there who comes to do it for us. What is the protocol here. Do we go inside and browse, pay, jump in and drive off or do we get out, give him a tip, browse, pay then shoot off. Me and the OH are quite confused here so we would love the help on answering this.

Much Love!!
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filling up at the pump

Essentially it's a ruse to get you to go in the shop, browse around and buy stuff.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I always stay by my car chatting to the pump attendant so that I know how much it's gonna cost then go inside to pay when he has finished. Never tip - NZ is NOT a tipping culture.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I always stay by my car chatting to the pump attendant so that I know how much it's gonna cost then go inside to pay when he has finished. Never tip - NZ is NOT a tipping culture.
I always say how much I want putting in, stay by the car having a chat and then hand over the cash!
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:00 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Never tip - NZ is NOT a tipping culture.
we got told that after I tipped and seemed to upset a house cleaner we hired, he seemed genuinely surprised and it was a bit awkward and I apologised if it offended and explained it was something that just happens in other places, he still took the money
Old Nov 8th 2012, 10:43 pm
Confused but Alive

tattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud of

Can you tip in restaurants and to taxi drivers etc..?
Old Nov 9th 2012, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tattoobarbie
Can you tip in restaurants and to taxi drivers etc..?
No (only in restaurants if you have had amazing service). Don't even tip hairdressers here.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:40 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

It really sounds like you are NOT a tipping kind of person!

I tip wherever I receive good service.

just because you are living in NZ does not mean that you have to be as tight as two coats of paint. You may become like the inhabitants themselves

Last edited by tweetweet; Nov 10th 2012 at 8:42 am.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As has already been stated, you don't tip at the petrol station.

NZ is not a tipping culture.

Tip, perhaps, in a restaurant. Although we came unstuck even with this once as we tried to tip the owner who was a bit put out.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tattoobarbie
Bonjourno!!

When we go to certain fuel stations to fill the 'ol tank up, there is sometimes someone there who comes to do it for us. What is the protocol here. Do we go inside and browse, pay, jump in and drive off or do we get out, give him a tip, browse, pay then shoot off. Me and the OH are quite confused here so we would love the help on answering this.

Much Love!!
I never ever fill up when there's someone at the pumps who will kindly do it for you

They never fill the car up fully. They usually go until it clicks and then that's it

I usually am able to get at least an extra 2 litres into the car when the fuel pump makes a click noise to say full. I like to fill the car as much as possible since unleaded fuel goes within a couple of weeks here (I only get between 4 to 500km out of a full tank). I did try the 95 and 98 but the output is similar. Not worth the extra dollars

Oh and don't tip anyone here. It's a shame because sometimes the service is absolutely fantastic and deserves recognition. Unlike America where even if you get shite service you have to tip unless you want a stand off
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:47 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweetweet
It really sounds like you are NOT a tipping kind of person!

I tip wherever I receive good service.

just because you are living in NZ does not mean that you have to be as tight as two coats of paint. You may become like the inhabitants themselves
Why not try and fit into the local custom ie NO tipping?
Why is it tight not to tip when that is the accepted practice for a particular country?

Last edited by Persephone; Nov 12th 2012 at 10:40 am.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Persephone
Why is it tight not to tip when that is the accepted practice for a particular country?

Tweetweet has left NZ a while ago from what I read. I feel this was posted for some other agenda wichI am actually quite sad about as Tweetweet has some real axes to grind with her own NZ family and friends here in NZ.
Whether or not to tip is not one of them,
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:50 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
mmm.....
having said that there are plenty of bars and restaurants with little containers on them that are marked "TIPS".
quite often give a little more to the the barber if they've done a good job, as my hair is a tough patch to work on