Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A few wee questions?

A few wee questions?

Old May 21st 2009, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Updown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few wee questions?

I have been looking through the various threads and found some useful info but as everyones lives vary slightly I was looking for a few answers please to our situation.

My husband is hopefully going to be in the position of having a job offer soon and his prospective employer has advised him to go down the route of a work visa as opposed to the permanent resident visa due to the time scale factor. They advised then applying for PR when we are in NZ. Has anyone had problems doing the process this way? (I did read a recent thread where someone was having trouble obtaining a mortgate until they got PR)

I split up from my eldest son 's (11years) father when he was 4 years old. We were never married (phew) and he only sees him for 3 hours every second Sunday. Do I just have to supply a letter to immigration from a solicitor advising I have sole parental custody?

My eldest son also changed his surname by deed poll when I married my husband. His surname matches all documents except his birth certificate so would I just need to supply the Deed Poll Document as additional evidence?

These are all my queries for the moment and any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old May 21st 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few wee questions?

Originally Posted by Updown
I have been looking through the various threads and found some useful info but as everyones lives vary slightly I was looking for a few answers please to our situation.

My husband is hopefully going to be in the position of having a job offer soon and his prospective employer has advised him to go down the route of a work visa as opposed to the permanent resident visa due to the time scale factor. They advised then applying for PR when we are in NZ. Has anyone had problems doing the process this way? (I did read a recent thread where someone was having trouble obtaining a mortgate until they got PR)

I split up from my eldest son 's (11years) father when he was 4 years old. We were never married (phew) and he only sees him for 3 hours every second Sunday. Do I just have to supply a letter to immigration from a solicitor advising I have sole parental custody?

My eldest son also changed his surname by deed poll when I married my husband. His surname matches all documents except his birth certificate so would I just need to supply the Deed Poll Document as additional evidence?

Don't know about the child stuff but we came on a holiday visa, OH got a job and got a work visa and then while all this was going on we had already set our residency visa in motion back in the UK. Eventually got our residency visa (family sponsorship route) 11 months after we got here. In the meantime, we rented a house which is a straightforward process and once you are resident they look more favourably on giving you a mortgage although I do belive you can get a mortgage but not as much as they would lend by being resident. Well that was ASB anyway. Hope that is of some help.
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:10 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

The mortgage issue depends on whether you really want to buy a home quickly or not. I don't know the current times to get PR but suspect that with the work visa to PR route that they should go through fairly quickly before most of us would be ready to buy.
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We come out on the temporary work visas & then completed our PR application.

At the time we applied for the work visas we also started the PR process by submitting an EOI. This enabled my husband to get to NZ and start work for the NZ employer.

He arrived in the June of 2004 and we had PR by the October 2004.

I would think that you would need to supply all evidence and proof to NZIs re your child. You may want to start another thread about that though as there are several families going through this at the moment and they will be better able to advise on this.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:50 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

This old thread should help with the parental responsiblity thing
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+responsiblity

As for the name change, I think you have to declare any names you have been known by on your application, so you will have to provide any documents to back it up

HTH
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:48 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

I work for a company who brings a lot of staff over from the UK, we always bring them on temp 2yr work visa and then if they want we will pay for their PR once they are here, this way is only to get people here quicker, can be within 1-2months and they are here. A few say they want perm right away which I do think is better.

However when I came I was offered a PR visa when I applied for my Work permit(2yr visa) we accepted and they sent everything back to be completed again, we sent it off and within 7days we had a phone call telling us everything was approved and to book our flights.
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by theduke
However when I came I was offered a PR visa when I applied for my Work permit(2yr visa) we accepted and they sent everything back to be completed again, we sent it off and within 7days we had a phone call telling us everything was approved and to book our flights.
Now this has caught my attention. I have never heard of NZIS doing this. Never.
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:38 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by P2L
This old thread should help with the parental responsiblity thing
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+responsiblity

As for the name change, I think you have to declare any names you have been known by on your application, so you will have to provide any documents to back it up

HTH
I would echo this on the deed poll thing - my hubby is a Kiwi, but he had changed his name by Deed Poll aged 18 and we needed to provide evidence of this for the childrens' Citizenship by Descent. But my being adopted and having a change of name didn't throw them at all - unlike UK Passport office ...