Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A few small general questions about NZ

A few small general questions about NZ

Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:31 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Question A few small general questions about NZ

The kind of trivia that it's difficult to find unless I pick through pages and pages of info, so I'm being lazy.
  1. What's the legal drinking age?
  2. Until what general time of the day/evening can you take a child into a pub with you?
  3. What's the age of (heterosexual) consent?
  4. At what age do teenagers start learning to drive?
  5. How does the mail come? - through a slot in the door or a US-style box by the kerbside?
  6. Do most schools have uniforms?
  7. Is it true that children start full-time school on their 4th birthdays?

Thanks!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice
Default Re: A few small general questions about NZ

1. 18
2. no idea!
3. no idea!
4. 15
5. US style box
6. some do, some don't
7. no, on their 5th birthdays!

not much help eh?!

SF
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:56 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulflour
1. 18
2. no idea!
3. no idea!
4. 15
5. US style box
6. some do, some don't
7. no, on their 5th birthdays!

not much help eh?!

SF
No actually that's a great help SF, thanks ever so much!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:58 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
The kind of trivia that it's difficult to find unless I pick through pages and pages of info, so I'm being lazy.
  1. What's the legal drinking age?
  2. Until what general time of the day/evening can you take a child into a pub with you?
  3. What's the age of (heterosexual) consent?
  4. At what age do teenagers start learning to drive?
  5. How does the mail come? - through a slot in the door or a US-style box by the kerbside?
  6. Do most schools have uniforms?
  7. Is it true that children start full-time school on their 4th birthdays?

Thanks!
Hiya

1. None The legal age they can buy alcohol is 18 but there's no legal age to drink it - there was talk yesterday about changing that!
2. Don't really know - a lot of pubs don't stay open that late anyway
3. 16 (I think)
4. Heaven help us! - 15!!
5. Letterbox at the entrance to your property - that could be 5 miles away if you live out in the sticks
6. Most kids do seem to be in uniform
7. I don't know this one
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

As above,but kids start school from their 5 th birthday. Your house looks great,you are 10 mins from Poppets,and 15 mins from us!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:06 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Batty
Hiya

1. None The legal age they can buy alcohol is 18 but there's no legal age to drink it - there was talk yesterday about changing that!
2. Don't really know - a lot of pubs don't stay open that late anyway
3. 16 (I think)
4. Heaven help us! - 15!!
5. Letterbox at the entrance to your property - that could be 5 miles away if you live out in the sticks
6. Most kids do seem to be in uniform
7. I don't know this one
Super, thanks Batty! Very interesting about the legal drinking age not actually existing.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:07 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by danny.f
As above,but kids start school from their 5 th birthday. Your house looks great,you are 10 mins from Poppets,and 15 mins from us!
Excellent! Is that walking or driving?

Are kids expected to read by the time they start school? Just curious. My daughter turned 5 in October and has just recently started reading really well.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Yes kids start school literally the day after their 5th birthday! My little lad will be starting kindy at the end of May and he'll be 3 and a half. Thats for 3 afternoons a week. When hes 4 he will do 5 mornings a week at kindy until he goes to school. Hes growing up fast!!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Excellent! Is that walking or driving?

Are kids expected to read by the time they start school? Just curious. My daughter turned 5 in October and has just recently started reading really well.
thats driving

i think that the they only wear uniforms when they go to secondary school/college

my son started school here on his 5th birthday & they start at the bottom redaing group & then get moved on according to the childs ability. my son is in the top reading group in his class.
the reading groups are selected via a colour wheeel on the back of most of the school reading books i think there are about 9 groups for the first couple of years
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

We don't have that colour wheel series, so they probably all use different systems (my ds1 turned 6 on monday). There aren't really any expectations on them when they start school - it's very relaxed here. One of my bestfriends in the UK is dep head of a primary school and she told me before we came out that alot of theory that she uses originates in NZ.

Although I read to my children a lot i hadn't started 'teaching' ds1 to read, but within weeks he was at the top of his class and is still there, along with other kids with parents that read TO them every day - it's so important.

My ds1 (6) wears a uniform - school polo or t-shirt with blue or black trousers, and a school fleece. t-shirts are $15, polos $21 and the fleeces are $35. They also do a school 'vest' (bodywarmer) which is around $26 (and which my ds1 broke the zip of within weeks - note to self - buy new zip! )

SF

Last edited by soulflour; Feb 19th 2007 at 8:33 pm. Reason: dreadful spelling!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:30 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by SarahB
Yes kids start school literally the day after their 5th birthday! My little lad will be starting kindy at the end of May and he'll be 3 and a half. Thats for 3 afternoons a week. When hes 4 he will do 5 mornings a week at kindy until he goes to school. Hes growing up fast!!
That's brill that they start at 5! Here in the US it's in late August, and the cut-off is September 1st for the school year, so my daughter would be nearly 7 before she starts grade school. Until then it's US$215 a week for pre-school.

Originally Posted by poppets
thats driving
Super, thanks! That's still nice and close.

Originally Posted by poppets
i think that the they only wear uniforms when they go to secondary school/college
Thanks p. Does secondary school start at 11, same as the UK?

There aren't really any expectations on them when they start school - it's very relaxed here. One of my bestfriends in the UK is dep head of a primary school and she told me before we came out that alot of theory that she uses originates in NZ.
Cool. I like that!

My ds1 (6) wears a uniform - school polo or t-shirt with blue or black trousers, and a school fleece. t-shirts are $15, polos $21 and the fleeces are $35. They also do a school 'vest' (bodywarmer) which is around $26 (and which my ds1 broke the zip of within weeks - note to self - buy new zip! )

SF
Those prices aren't actually too bad... cool! (psst, buy a new zip! )
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

...if only i could get as excited about zip purchases as, say, fabric shopping, or oooooh, chocoate
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:35 pm
Maz

...if only i could get as excited about zip purchases as, say, fabric shopping, or oooooh, chocoate
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:23 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Secondary school starts at 13, year 9...
Old Feb 20th 2007, 12:51 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Secondary school starts at 13, year 9...
Cool, thanks Sue!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.