Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Few questions on WHV

Few questions on WHV

Old May 22nd 2010, 7:19 am
Just Joined

2005mike71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Few questions on WHV

Im thinking of going out on a WHV this year and just want a few things clearing up if anyone can help?

First it says you must have $350 per month and i have that for a 12 month visa, but i was thinking of going for the 23 month. That means i need almost £4000. is that right? Also does credit cards count towards making up the difference, because that would be ok.

Does anyone know how much the medical cost? I have found info off here for the police checks and where my nearest doctor is, but no prices.

Last thing, im in the building trade. I started out as a plasterer after i left school and still do it but i have also tried my hand at pretty much everything else. I havn't got any qualifications for it and plastering isn't on the shortlist. Is there any demand for plastering over there? Or tiling? The plan is to maybe get temp work doing this to prove i can do it and hopefully find someone to sponsor me.

OK i think thats it for now, any help would be much appreciated.
Old May 22nd 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently staying with a friend in Bracknell (UK) moving to Tauranga at end of July!!!
Kate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to all
Default Re: Few questions on WHV

Hi.
I went out on WHV last July - started on 12 months as was advised that the medical costs were so much cheaper in NZ - Apparently £400 in UK - for chest x-ray etc?? (Don't know how true that is, but I was in a bit of a hurry so didn't find out!! I changed to 23 month visa when I was there and I don't remember the medical cost being that expensive (couple of hundred $'s?). As long as you apply for 23 month Visa before your 31st birthday I'd get it done when your out there. (Also gives you an opportunity to check out if it's right for you). I just downloaded the forms off the web and made an appointment at a doctors in Rotorua.

Police check cost me £35 if I remember rightly.

I did have around £4000 in my accounts but I'm afraid I don't know exactly what you need. I think you need to have a return ticket to the UK.
If you are working while travelling you should be able to maintain some of the money you've got.

Give immigration NZ a call - they were really helpful when I was applying.

Check out this link too.......it gives you some info.

http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz/wor...visa/index.php

Anyway - good luck with it all.

It's a great place

Kate
Old May 22nd 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 2005mike71
Im thinking of going out on a WHV this year and just want a few things clearing up if anyone can help?

First it says you must have $350 per month and i have that for a 12 month visa, but i was thinking of going for the 23 month. That means i need almost £4000. is that right? Also does credit cards count towards making up the difference, because that would be ok.

Does anyone know how much the medical cost? I have found info off here for the police checks and where my nearest doctor is, but no prices.

Last thing, im in the building trade. I started out as a plasterer after i left school and still do it but i have also tried my hand at pretty much everything else. I havn't got any qualifications for it and plastering isn't on the shortlist. Is there any demand for plastering over there? Or tiling? The plan is to maybe get temp work doing this to prove i can do it and hopefully find someone to sponsor me.

OK i think thats it for now, any help would be much appreciated.
hi we have just done our full medicals and x ray from the bridge clinic in maidenhead uk cost £243 each police checks in uk are £10 each hope this helps
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:25 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by concretepump
police checks in uk are £10 each
ACPO is £35 for std service and £70 for the 2-day turnaround, extra copies at the same time are £5 each, not sure where you get £10 each from???

ACPO
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simonsi
ACPO is £35 for std service and £70 for the 2-day turnaround, extra copies at the same time are £5 each, not sure where you get £10 each from???

ACPO
well that's what we just paid two police authority , had to go to headington in oxfordshire, £10 each diffrent countys diffrent rates
Old May 23rd 2010, 8:02 am
Just Joined

thanks kate, going out for 12 months and the applying why i'm there sounds like a good way of doing it. The only reason i was thinking of getting the 23 month visa now is i don't have to worry about it why i am there. But if its cheaper over there and easy enough then that might be the way to go.

Are you planning of staying permanent now you are over there?
How are you finding it?

Also i heard it was £10 for the police checks and you get them back within a few weeks. I havn't checked with my local police so i'm 100%
Old May 23rd 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently staying with a friend in Bracknell (UK) moving to Tauranga at end of July!!!
Kate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to allKate Rayner is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 2005mike71
thanks kate, going out for 12 months and the applying why i'm there sounds like a good way of doing it. The only reason i was thinking of getting the 23 month visa now is i don't have to worry about it why i am there. But if its cheaper over there and easy enough then that might be the way to go.

Are you planning of staying permanent now you are over there?
How are you finding it?

Also i heard it was £10 for the police checks and you get them back within a few weeks. I havn't checked with my local police so i'm 100%
Hiya,
Yes, that worked for me - they send you a whole pack with useful stuff in it - including how to upgrade to 23 months.

I'm actually back in the UK at the moment but heading out again at the end of July. The plan is to probably stay permanently - my boyf has permanent residency so should be easy enough to get partnership visa. I had mixed feelings about it - one moment I really like it and then I just want to be back in the UK seeing family (just being a big girls blouse really ) I came back to try and get my head clear - not sure it's working

Still - when I do get back to Tauranga the plan is to try and launch into work (rather than just being on holiday!!!!) The country is amazing with so many fantastic places - you won't get bored!!

Not sure if you know, but you can still only work for a total of 12 months in the 23 month period. Should work quite well as it means you have to get some decent holiday time in too!!!

Hope all goes well - let me know how you get on.

Kate

When are you planning to head over?
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Yes i found that out this week about only being able to work for 12 of the 23 months. but thats ok because i really do want to see most of the place first before i decide if it's for me.
I was going to get things rolling in the next month or two, but i may need to try and save a bit more money up first. Maybe august, september now.
I have been planning this for over a year now but money has been very tight lately with the recession and all.
What did you do about your police checks. Did you have someone do that for you?
Old May 23rd 2010, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Yes. Def good to get a feel for the place.

I downloaded the form from....

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

Didn't take too long and is valid for 6 months (although I didn't get another one when re-applied which seems strange looking back). Might be as I did it within the 6 months I guess? So I would get it done about a month before you want to go. My WHV was turned around in about 4 days!!!! Was really quick! I assume they all vary so give yourself a bit longer!!!!!!!!!

Kate
Old May 23rd 2010, 8:41 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

well that's what we just paid two police authority , had to go to headington in oxfordshire, £10 each diffrent countys diffrent rates
ACPO is centralised and supposed to be the only acceptable certificate AFAIK for NZ immigration, certainly it is the only cert NZIS list as acceptable now...

UK Police Certificates Procedure

"Specific procedure for United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Go to the Association of Chief Police Officers website www.acpo.police.uk and click the Police Certificates Button, at the bottom left of screen. The instructions for applying for the certificate are on the form."

Based on the NZIS website statement I think you have to get the ACPO version now... further down the NZIS page it states:

"Note: As of 1 October 2009, the blue 'Subject Access Request' certificate issued under the Data Protection Act will not be acceptable."

I assume this is what you have got?
Old May 24th 2010, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

no we have the ones from acro fareham, with two blue bands and we still paid £10 each
Old May 24th 2010, 10:32 am
It is what it is Member

Have NZIS accepted them then??? From their material its clear they (should?) only accept the ACRO ones
Old May 24th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

hi no have not put paper work in yet just waiting for medical results to come back but i think they are the right ones
Old May 24th 2010, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

should have said we sent them to police in oxford but they sent them to fareham, so it must be the right ones
Old May 24th 2010, 11:14 am
It is what it is Member

no we have the ones from acro fareham, with two blue bands and we still paid £10 each
The ones I have don't have any blue bands - hope you have found a cheap back door into the right ones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.