Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Few questions for NZ

Few questions for NZ

Old Sep 20th 2006, 3:45 pm
Duts

Dutson has a spectacular aura aboutDutson has a spectacular aura aboutDutson has a spectacular aura about
Default Few questions for NZ

Hi All

My hubby has had a job offer with the RNZAF to start in Feb 07, which we feel is a fab opportunity. All we are waiting on now is the decision from the immigration board, so fingers crossed we will b on our way soon.

I was wondering if anyone who already lives in NZ could let me know about
electrical products from the UK to NZ. As we have quite a few new things over here to possibly take over to NZ (if they accept us of course), I was hoping anyone could shed some light on the matter. E.g. Fridge/freezers, TV's etc???? Or is it a case of having to flog everything over here, which I hope is not the case.

Also if anyone has actually brought their dog or cat across with them, how u go about this and any recommendations on who to use, costs etc? I understand that there is no quarantine as such either, is this correct?

Any info would be great.

Look forward to hearing from u all.

Cheers guys
Dutson
Old Sep 20th 2006, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Few questions for NZ

Originally Posted by Dutson
Hi All

My hubby has had a job offer with the RNZAF to start in Feb 07, which we feel is a fab opportunity. All we are waiting on now is the decision from the immigration board, so fingers crossed we will b on our way soon.

electrical products from the UK to NZ. As we have quite a few new things over here to possibly take over to NZ (if they accept us of course), I was hoping anyone could shed some light on the matter. E.g. Fridge/freezers, TV's etc???? Or is it a case of having to flog everything over here, which I hope is not the case.

Also if anyone has actually brought their dog or cat across with them, how u go about this and any recommendations on who to use, costs etc? I understand that there is no quarantine as such either, is this correct?

Any info would be great.

Cheers guys
Dutson
Hi Dutson,
we asked a similar question (see thread 1st August) and were basically advised to bring everything although there was some discussion over whether TVs were worthwhile bringing or not, also DVD players aren't compatible with NZ DVDs. Have a look at the thread (I think it was called "what to bring or not" or something like that) to see the answers we got. Basically, we've decided to bring everything and have just increased the size of our shipment to bring more.
Hope this helps,
Donna
Old Sep 20th 2006, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

rickg37 will become famous soon enoughrickg37 will become famous soon enough

Hi Dutson

Cant help you much on advice as Tracy and I are due to go out in March 07 but under the RNZAF/RAF thread here on the forum there are already a couple of people who who are going over in October with links to their blog and promises to post back on experiences

On TVs we are taking a few of the more modern ones that have different pal settings so they will recieve NZ tv signals and most DVDs can be made multi regional

Good luck with immigration

Regards

Rick & Tracy
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Any info would be great.

Cheers guys
Dutson
we brought our cat (10yrs) over with passports for pets http://www.passportforpets.co.uk/ cost £500, no problems at all, i can recommend a cattery in wellington too, ours boarded there for 6 weeks. Our local uk vet sorted out all the stuff for us with the tests etc, easy peasy
no quarantine
we brought all our electrical equipment with us
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

milligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the rough

Hi All

Any info would be great.

Cheers guys
Dutson
Hi

we moved here 3 years ago and brought our TVs and DVD. We checked with Phillips who made our TV and they confirmed that it was compatible although last year the thing broke but had nothing to do with being used here in NZ (I don't think!?).

I would recommend you contact your TV manufacturer - most allow you to email them - with the make and model of your TV and get them to advise if they can be used in NZ so you know and also that way you have something in writing from them so if it doesn't work then you can rely on their advice.

If your TV and DVD are modern enough then shshouldn'te an issue all you change is the plug as we have the same voltage here as in the UK.

Our DVD was one of the first out so we can't play NZ DVD's on it but you can pick a DVD up quite cheaply anyway nowadays.

Milligano
Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough

Hi Dutson

This thread has lots of pet shipping companies mentioned.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388845

We brought two cats and they survived fine and although skint now, we are glad that we did.

We were told three weeks quarantine or rather that the cats should be kept inside for three weeks, but it was hot and they escaped long before that !
But nobody came to check or anything.

Cats need to be chipped and other things but companies will tell you all that

off to watch dragonball Z now

peter

peter
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Steve Horrell will become famous soon enough

Hi All

Any info would be great.

Cheers guys
Dutson
Hi Dutson

I know what you are going through and we were the same before I left the RN and joined the RNZN in October 2003. Because there was so much information to try and source, I ended up writing a book that covers all your queries and much more! There is a review at the following site that sums up the content very well:

http://www.shelteroffshore.com/index...o_new_zealand/

The book is called 'Emigrating to New Zealand' by Steve Horrell and I can almost guarantee that you will not be disappointed in it. Check it out at a bookstore and have a browse through it - I think you will be very surprised.
Anything you need to ask then just PM me and I will try and come up with the answers

Good luck

Steve
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Saw a DVD player in Kmart today for $69.95!!! Will Probably last year and 1Day!!! just until after the gaurantee runs out!!!
Didn't stop to take in much more but thought of you guys!!!
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Diggles is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Any info would be great.

Cheers guys
Dutson
Hi there
We moved to NZ last just over a year ago and brought our two 9 yr old spaniels and our tabby cat - we used Golden Arrow Shippers who were absolutely fantastic - it is a family run business in Shropshire that has been moving animals across the globe for over 30 years and they really know what they are doing - very caring and quite good pricewise too. They didn't have a website then, but might have now. The animals all arrived here looking very well and not stressed at all - they custom build the crates to suit the particular animal and make sure they have enough room to stand up, turn round etc.

I am sure you will love it here - it seems like a mammoth operation to get everything sorted but is well worth the effort!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Dutson
We've been here 3 months and brought everything. TV is Philips and works fine, just had to buy a NZ VCR to get both sound and picture. We now have Sky and it also works fine - in fact we get a better picture here. We have another TV that we use for DVD's with UK DVD player, hubby brought all his UK DVD's here. Our son's TV is from UK, with UK DVD and UK VCR. This will do until we need to replace DVD player.
Fridge and Freezer are huge monsters (hotpoint) just plugged in with UK plug, adaptor and surge plug, both work fine.
Take loads of adaptors from UK, we had family to post out more. Also bring extensions for a few sockets. All electricals work fine, we have microwave, kettle, toaster, bread maker etc for kitchen. Also all the usual, hairdryer and gadgets. "Bring it all".
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:20 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Except maybe for those imitation electric coal fire affairs. We brought one that we used to use in our conservatory in England .. it was one of those that blows warmed air and had like real coal over a fake coal effect with the nice warm inviting light bulb glow. We put a kiwi plug on it were happily using it until one night I noticed smoke coming from the plug and it had completely melted and if I hadn't been in the same room to catch it I'm sure it would have set alight!