Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Few questions about salaries and auckland

Few questions about salaries and auckland

Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:20 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Few questions about salaries and auckland

Just for context:

The highest paid chief executive last year was ANZ New Zealand's David Hisco, on $4.1 million, a 14 per cent rise on 2012, while the lowest-paid boss in the survey, for whom a complete year's pay information is available, was David Darling of biotechnology developer Pacific Edge, who took a 7 per cent pay cut to $279,999.

The survey draws its data from the 2013 annual reports of New Zealand's largest listed firms and state-owned enterprises, as well as dairy co-operative Fonterra.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:21 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap that's one hell of a salary! Are u a brain surgeon lol
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
That is unfortunately exactly where that sort of salary is offered to. Big companies here pride themselves on recruiting top level staff "internationally". It gives them some false kudos if the person moves from Europe or (even better) the US of A to head up their NZ operations.

I've said it before... NZ is like a teenager and has the usual shallow teenage wants. Getting an "international candidate" is just showing off - like the 18yr old who gets a lowered hoonmobile with a boofy exhaust that they can neither afford, nor drive properly.
I agree there are lots of companies in NZ who have an executive from overseas but I'm of the opinion that person hasn't just magically appeared here for the job or been head hunted. More likely they have been living and working here, developing a name for themselves before being offered a big bucks position.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:41 am
Just Joined

tm001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
I agree there are lots of companies in NZ who have an executive from overseas but I'm of the opinion that person hasn't just magically appeared here for the job or been head hunted. More likely they have been living and working here, developing a name for themselves before being offered a big bucks position.

It cld be a transfer within a company from abroad to NZ. Large corporations always have people moving around even at high salaries as mentioned in the OP
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:43 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Perhaps a mis-placed comma and an extra zero?! Did jparsons mean 32,500k? In which case this tread will take a totally different turn!
that is entirely true and would be a big fat NO
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
I have to disagree with you there. Moving jobs is a chance to increase the salary. To move from one country to another is another level entirely. And NZ think that they have to offer an "international" level of salary in order to attract the type of talent that looks at jobs available across the globe, not just down the road.

I do not think that someone already in NZ would necessarily get that level of pay - they will be able to move from similar (paying) job to similar job within NZ for sure, but the big leap will be when they moved from another country to NZ. If that makes sense???
Old Jun 4th 2015, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

What about plumbers too? The smallest leak here in Rotorua cost $100's. The charges here are astronomical. My guess is jparsons is winding us all up anyway.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:56 am
Just Joined

CharlieFord is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jparsons
Ok I have a few questions, any answers will to broaden my currently limited horizons will be most appreciated .

1) Is a salary of approxamitely 325,000NZD (plus housing allowence and relocation) high enough to enjoy a decent standard of living in auckland as i have heard from many people that it can be notoriously expensive

2) secondly what are the perceptions about the mission bay area, i.e is it a safe and friendly place to live and what does it offer?

Thanks v much for any responses
Yes that is an amazing deal. Salaries here are pretty low i.e.: look on Seek at jobs (in any industry) over NZ200$ and there's about 10-15 max. Ypu would have a great life on that money and can you get me a job?
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

I'll second that and I'll also be happy with a 5% pay cut on the $325,000.