British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   A few questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/few-questions-646386/)

lapis lazuli Dec 28th 2009 5:11 pm

A few questions

Hello everyone. I'm 25, moving to Wellington on the 8th of February, have citizenship by descent and am crossing my fingers for finding a job once I get there. :fingerscrossed:

More seriously, with just over a month to pack and get everything sorted I'm a bit worried about a few issues:

First: I have Epilepsy and Asthma. Will I have to have some kind of medical when I get to NZ or is it just a case of my doctor sending his notes over?

Second: shoes. I understand my hiking boots will be checked - that's fine as I'll be wearing them on the plane. What about Heelys (that are worn on the streets) and concert shoes? None of the websites I've found, including the MAF Biosecurity site, mention everyday footwear at all.

Third: my laptop. This was second-hand when I bought it, and I've had it nearly a year now. Do I need to pay duty on it? Also, what's this NZ $700 allowance? Is that for New/Unused items or everything in total? The thing is that my Violin (which will be brought as hand luggage) has been loaned to me for as long as I need it and it's insurance value is over NZ $700 already. Will I have to pay Customs for that as well?

Finally, President Obama has asked the American Airports to increase their security checks following a recent attempted suicide bomber attack on an American Airlines plane. I'm staying in LA for 24 hours on the way - does anyone know if AirNewZealand have changed their hand luggage policy?

I know that's a lot of questions but it's my first time living away from the UK, and with only a little over a month to prepare I want to get everything done properly. :unsure:

The Jezzers Dec 28th 2009 9:00 pm

Re: A few questions

Hi and welcome, You can ask for your doctors notes to take with you but they may charge a small fee our was £30.Also no you will not be given a medical on arrival. Yours shoes just need a good clean and a little spray of dettol floor cleaner on the soles will be fine. Also you will not have to pay duty if your goods [laptop etc.] are on the plane with you, in the hold or hand luggage.New or old.
I brought my guitar over as hand luggage with Air NZ they might ask you to remove the strings if flying via USA and to put the strings in hold luggage..No duty to be paid.
Goodluck and enjoy.:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by lapis lazuli (Post 8201467)
Hello everyone. I'm 25, moving to Wellington on the 8th of February, have citizenship by descent and am crossing my fingers for finding a job once I get there. :fingerscrossed:

More seriously, with just over a month to pack and get everything sorted I'm a bit worried about a few issues:

First: I have Epilepsy and Asthma. Will I have to have some kind of medical when I get to NZ or is it just a case of my doctor sending his notes over?

Second: shoes. I understand my hiking boots will be checked - that's fine as I'll be wearing them on the plane. What about Heelys (that are worn on the streets) and concert shoes? None of the websites I've found, including the MAF Biosecurity site, mention everyday footwear at all.

Third: my laptop. This was second-hand when I bought it, and I've had it nearly a year now. Do I need to pay duty on it? Also, what's this NZ $700 allowance? Is that for New/Unused items or everything in total? The thing is that my Violin (which will be brought as hand luggage) has been loaned to me for as long as I need it and it's insurance value is over NZ $700 already. Will I have to pay Customs for that as well?

Finally, President Obama has asked the American Airports to increase their security checks following a recent attempted suicide bomber attack on an American Airlines plane. I'm staying in LA for 24 hours on the way - does anyone know if AirNewZealand have changed their hand luggage policy?

I know that's a lot of questions but it's my first time living away from the UK, and with only a little over a month to prepare I want to get everything done properly. :unsure: