A few questions

Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Barrow in Furness waiting to fly out to Auckland on Feb 12!
richyandkat will become famous soon enoughrichyandkat will become famous soon enough
Smile A few questions

Hello all,

Just a couple of questions for you, if anyone can advise i'd be humbled!

We're flying out on Feb12th with a 2 hour stop off at LA, will we have to do the immigration thing at LA or do we just get put in a room while they put some more petrol/people in the plane? Will we have to get our luggage?

As it's just me and the wife I'm also wondering if it's worth paying the extra to upgrade to premium economy? has anyone done this?? is it worth the extra cash or should i just drink a pint of night nurse and forget the flight ever happened at all!!!

Or did anyone manage to sweet talk their way to an upgrade at check in?? I've tried a couple of times before and never managed it! One girl once told me I was lucky to be getting a seat anywhere on the plane!!!

Final bit now, honest

Bank accounts, I'm going to open one over here for me and then sort others (wife joint account savings) when we get there who would people recommend? just after a current account with cash/debit card, I know there is a monthly fee or cost per card usage or both, do these vary a lot or are they a pretty similar fee wherever you bank?

Right thats it now, I'm off to will the rain to stop so I can clean my car!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A few questions

Originally Posted by richyandkat
Hello all,

We're flying out on Feb12th with a 2 hour stop off at LA, will we have to do the immigration thing at LA or do we just get put in a room while they put some more petrol/people in the plane? Will we have to get our luggage?

As it's just me and the wife I'm also wondering if it's worth paying the extra to upgrade to premium economy? has anyone done this?? is it worth the extra cash or should i just drink a pint of night nurse and forget the flight ever happened at all!!!

Or did anyone manage to sweet talk their way to an upgrade at check in?? I've tried a couple of times before and never managed it! One girl once told me I was lucky to be getting a seat anywhere on the plane!!!

Final bit now, honest

Bank accounts, I'm going to open one over here for me and then sort others (wife joint account savings) when we get there who would people recommend? just after a current account with cash/debit card, I know there is a monthly fee or cost per card usage or both, do these vary a lot or are they a pretty similar fee wherever you bank?

Hi,

LA you queue for about an hour of your 2 hour stopover unless you have small children and then get shunted to the front of the queue (bless our daughter!) get fingerprinter, photo taken, passport checked and then sit in the transit room for about 30 minutes before getting back on the plane! Patience is definitely needed.

Yes I have been bumped up free of charge before, but not on an NZ flight...up to you don't think it is hugely different in what you get so just down to choice.

We bank with the National, sorted it all online and with the use of a fax from the UK set up a cheque account, online savings account and mortgage so it was all ready for when we got here. There are different accounts within the same bank so it not only varies bank to bank but also account to account. With the National we have free banking (except for $1.00 online banking charge per month) providing we keep a certain amount in...think it is over
$5k, so when enquiring ask about free banking.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:36 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

No you shouldn't have to collect your bags and re-check them. You just queue to be issued a US temp entry visa which then gets cancelled after your coffee and crisp red apple intake and you re-board same plane, same seats.

Premium economy didn't look like is was worth the extra dosh. There didn't seem to be too many seats available and it seemed a lot of extra money for a few inches more space and a foot rest. Personally I found the lap trays made good footrests, although our 11 yr old son was none too happy when I used his too!

Personally I'd save your money. You'll need it more once you've landed.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Who are you flying with r and k?
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

LA can sometimes be an absolute pain while for others its seems to be not to bad. On the way out in July 07 with AirNZ we watched some people queue in the fabled corridor for the full two hours and never actually make it through to the lounge at all.....these people got told to turn around and went straight back on the plane via a side door somewhat making a mockery of the whole thing.

On Air NZ i personally don't think that the upgrade is worth it so far as premium goes as i found economy to be fine. I am 6'2'' and struggle normally on short haul flights as my knees always seem to be against the seat in front, i have long upper legs, hip to knee it seems....?

I've recently flown first/business (or whatever they call it) class to OZ with AirNZ on a 747 and they have the same pod type bed system as when i flew Upper Class with Virgin on a 747 and they are great. For such a long flight as London- Auckland maybe worth a look but the price is huge and not worth it for my mind unless someone else is paying or you get a good 'deal' or offer.

We've had two separate guests in the last few weeks from the UK, my wifes friend who found the flight to be fine in economy and my bro-in-law who found it uncomfortable in economy but he's a big guy at maybe 6'2'' and well over 120Kgs. He said the uncomfortable part was purely down to the passenger sat next to him (of a similar size) who seemingly was a bit of a fidget meaning he got no sleep at all.

Its worth asking for a exit seat and in May 07 myself and my wife sat in the seats just behind premium by the exit and it was superb as we had nothing in front of us except the fold up crew seats.

Bank wise we can't fault the ASB............

easy to set up....easy to deal with day to day and keep offering us mortgages and finance every time we speak to them.......
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Location: Barrow in Furness waiting to fly out to Auckland on Feb 12!
richyandkat will become famous soon enoughrichyandkat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Yotty
Who are you flying with r and k?
Hi, We're flying with Air NZ.

Thanks everyone for the info, it is helping!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi jacky g here....we flew out last july via LAX.....we had to collect our luggage and put it back through via connections...sometimes you get put in transit lounge,depends on what flight you are connecting with....we flew air new zealand and couldn't fault them....

we also did premium economy 1st leg of journey,(heathrow to LAX) looking back now,seems a bit extravagant,but was well worth it,IMHO....we were upstairs on the plain and there were only about 25 seats up there,fantastic and spacious......

but looking back now,would rather have the extra money sitting in our bank accounts here.....speaking of which we use ASB...set up our accounts when we were still in uk...

just walked into bank when we got here and picked up bank cards(eftpos and credit cards)they can't do enough for you here
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all

Hello all,

Final bit now, honest

Hiya,

Just wanted to say hi, we are also from Barrow in Furness (or at least Dalton since xmas), we to are going to NZ, we are heading to Nelson and our flight is on the 16th Feb. We are still waiting to set up our bank account we have been dealing with moneycorp, who are doing all this for us.

Good luck to you both.

Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:32 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Final bit now, honest

Hi there - we flew in december with airnz via LA.

We upgraded our seats to business class mainly because we had the children and we didnt want to be cooped up. I recall the economy and premium economy were both very generous with their leg room. Pop onto their website and checkout the seating plan for the NZ01 (747) plane.
Business was lovely - the seats convert to a 6'7" bed and we got spoilt rotten.

At LA you have to give a finger print and an eye scan, then get put in a lounge where you can get drinks - or you have the choice to go into the airport, but then you must clear security and then check back in again. Really pointless - just go to the lounge.

Banks - i opened up an account with National online - very easy to do, but when i got here I ended up walking into an ASB bank. I cannot fault anything about them so far. I have all my insurances and mortgage with them. Very competitive when you are a customer of theirs. Very proactive - your personal account manager rings up from time to time to see how you're doing. I like that - warm and fuzzy!!

Another thing about the flights - i dont have money to burn, but i did think that it would be nice to treat ourselves to a bit of comfort. I am glad we did - although wish we had bought our tickets sooner cos they really got hiked up by the time we did get to fly.

Best of luck, Kate
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

I flew the other way, thankfully, and have never had to experience LAX thankfully! When I did come this way a year or so back I stopped over in the states and flew out of San Fran, nice aiport that one!

ASB are fine, set up a holding account in London, then transfer your cash to that and pop into a branch here and open your account, took about 10 mins, fantastic! Dealt with one of their managers for insurance and stuff, it feels weird not dealing with a call centre and talking to a person, who even gives you their direct dial number, blimey!

I have flown Premium Economy on Air NZ from San Fran to Auckland, it helped as it was the overnight flight, I was right at the front of the cabin and had ample room to get comfy and sleep, was only about 200 quid extra IIRC...

Good luck!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by irnbru14

Dealt with one of their managers for insurance and stuff, it feels weird not dealing with a call centre and talking to a person, who even gives you their direct dial number, blimey!
Its like stepping back to a time you could actually speak to your bank in the UK rather than a completely unhelpful person in India who strangely for a Hindu or Muslim in India was named Sharon or Tom or some other very english name....

Our ASB account manager, a Chinese girl called 'Shirley' (maybe its more like the UK than i thought) is very helpful and as you say is more than happy to give you as many direct contact details as possible. If she calls for a 'thought i'd call you for a nice catch up chat' any more though we may have to look to block her number.......