British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   'Fess up . Who has relit their fires this evening. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/fess-up-who-has-relit-their-fires-evening-811538/)

bearskin Apr 16th 2014 8:45 am

Re: 'Fess up . Who has relit their fires this evening.

The firewood did arrive today though. The delivery bloke did an excellent job of wodging it onto the patch of earth to the side of the driveway. Meant I didn't for once have to dash out and barrow it all away instantly - but can do at my leisure. I rather unnecessarily put a large tarpaulin over it all (i mean, it's only wood), but there you go.

Hilariously, the neighbour popped round to tell me that somewhere amongst it there is a cellphone. Seems today was a special 'cellphone with every delivery day' lol.

Christmas2014 Apr 16th 2014 8:54 am

I went to countdown today and felt very under dressed in shorts and t.shirt, everyone had coats and boots on! What's that all about? It was 20 degrees!

bearskin Apr 16th 2014 8:57 am

Well, it was about 28 degrees a few days ago, so the temperature has dropped. And there was this weird water falling from the sky at some point.

Christmas2014 Apr 16th 2014 9:02 am

It's only 14 in the uk and they are all putting their shorts on and talking about having bbq's and going to the beer garden! Ha!

bearskin Apr 16th 2014 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Christmas2014 (Post 11221321)
It's only 14 in the uk and they are all putting their shorts on and talking about having bbq's and going to the beer garden! Ha!

Sounds alright to me. In fact, i quite miss that.

Christmas2014 Apr 16th 2014 9:17 am

Yes sounds nice but in reality the beer garden is usually full of drunks who over do it drinking in the afternoon and poor kids waiting for their parents to take them home and it's freezing but everyone pretends it's not!

Hazelnut Apr 16th 2014 2:25 pm

It's almost ten degrees where I live today and we've had 48hrs without any rain, totally shocking, although the usual biting wind is here.

I went out this morning to do some gardening and only had to wear knee length thermal socks, winter weight trousers, a thermal polo top, sweatshirt, fleece lined wind proof coat and thermal bunnet. It's definitely Spring as the thermal longjohns that I wear under this lot in winter were left in the drawer :thumbsup:

You could definitely tell we were foreigners in some parts of NZ as we were in t-shirts and commenting how warm it was when everyone else was in jumpers.

BEVS Apr 16th 2014 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Christmas2014 (Post 11221321)

Originally Posted by Christmas2014 (Post 11221326)
Yes sounds nice but in reality the beer garden is usually full of drunks who over do it drinking in the afternoon and poor kids waiting for their parents to take them home and it's freezing but everyone pretends it's not!

Eh? I thought you were in Auckland .

Easy answer on the beer garden issue. Find another.

Nice glass of crisp cider or half a lager with a ploughmans tea. Somewhere in the New Forest or over The Purbecks ,as the long twilight falls. After a late afternoon walk. Loverley.

Stormer999 Apr 16th 2014 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11222353)
Eh? I thought you were in Auckland .

Easy answer on the beer garden issue. Find another.

Nice glass of crisp cider or half a lager with a ploughmans tea. Somewhere in the New Forest or over The Purbecks ,as the long twilight falls. After a late afternoon walk. Loverley.

If it's the New Forest Bev's then leave the dog at home :eek:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-25820926

snaps Apr 16th 2014 11:52 pm

Never mind the evening, I'll be putting it on during the day soon here in Rotorua.

BEVS Apr 17th 2014 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 11222407)
If it's the New Forest Bev's then leave the dog at home :eek:

We don't own a dog Stormer & if we did , we would do as suggested and be vigilant. Just as we do with our birds and animals here.

Here you go though, as it's you.

A tit for tat thought or two.

:focus:

We didn't light the fire the last two evenings but I think it may be on the cards for later. I have now brought back in the wood baskets.
We are a good couple of weeks early on last year so I 'fess up to us being woosies :p.

Stormer999 Apr 17th 2014 2:19 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11222490)
We don't own a dog Stormer & if we did , we would do as suggested and be vigilant. Just as we do with our birds and animals here.

Here you go though, as it's you.

A tit for tat thought or two.

:focus:

We didn't light the fire the last two evenings but I think it may be on the cards for later. I have now brought back in the wood baskets.
We are a good couple of weeks early on last year so I 'fess up to us being woosies :p.

Ha ha I don't have a dog either...cat people, suppose Boe is a cat we just don't tell him! Spent a wee while in the backwaters PRC and became very familiar with more than one dog :unsure:

Stormer999 Apr 17th 2014 2:24 am

To day it is cold in Chch we can't have a fire in the winter only during the summer :huh: we can't burn coal so it took me quite a while to get rid of one large coal bunker full of the stuff.....nearest we can go is the BBQ...no outside :p
It's 12C outside but I am afraid I have now acclimatized and gone soft....still in shorts though ;)

Assanah Apr 17th 2014 4:38 am

Ahhh, looking forward to a long warm Berliner summer. To be able to sit outside at midnight with friends, looking at the stars without being cold :thumbsup:

No rain in Berlin for weeks. Lots of sunshine, though it has been cold this week but nice 20 degrees in the forecast for this long weekend when we are going to the Czech Republic for a visit....different culture, different food; only 150 Euro for tickets and hotel for 2. I must be back in Europe :p

Tom1983 Apr 17th 2014 8:12 am

Well our house is so cold, we don't need to put the beers in the fridge anymore.

Oh and here comes the illnesses, yay!!!!!