Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

'Fess up . Who has relit their fires this evening.

'Fess up . Who has relit their fires this evening.

Old May 1st 2017, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all
Default Re: 'Fess up . Who has relit their fires this evening.

It's expected to dip to 1 degree here in Hamilton tonight, winter is just about here.
Old May 3rd 2017, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Our six months of winter starts now... May. Wake me up in November
Old May 4th 2017, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Had the heat pump on a few times but not the fire - probably this weekend...
Old May 4th 2017, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I finally relented, it's been so cold this week the heat pump is now fully activated and will remain so for the foreseeable. I'm probably going to step up a notch with a heavier duvet too.
Old May 6th 2017, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

The weather has been beautiful this past week out in the sun!
Old May 7th 2017, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

We have relented this past week. We've flicked the heat pump on for half hour when we get up so the kids aren't cold but as usual by late morning the windows are open trying to cool the place down or it's windows shut and the air con is on

I was actually dive bombing in to the sea yesterday morning on Tauranga Waterfront for the Official 1st Tauranga Bombing Comp!
Thought it would be freezing but wasn't that bad
Old May 7th 2017, 2:56 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

heated blankets going on the beds today.
Old May 7th 2017, 4:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It seems some of the Kiwis that MrBEVS works with are in awe of the fact we have yet to light our log burner. Most everyone has been heating their homes the past month or so.

We're fine at the mo with blankies and hot water bottles under the feet of an evening.

As long as the sun stays out & I get the windows shut in time , it's enough to lift it a little bit before the 5pm freezicles.
Old May 7th 2017, 5:12 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
It seems some of the Kiwis that MrBEVS works with are in awe of the fact we have yet to light our log burner. Most everyone has been heating their homes the past month or so.

We're fine at the mo with blankies and hot water bottles under the feet of an evening.

As long as the sun stays out & I get the windows shut in time , it's enough to lift it a little bit before the 5pm freezicles.
How cold is it getting by you BEVS? I've had the car heating on here on the way to from work on night shifts (been as low as 2C here) and the duvet is back on the bed but no heating yet. Oh and succumbed to socks wandering around the house
Old May 7th 2017, 5:26 am
`

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
How cold is it getting by you BEVS? I've had the car heating on here on the way to from work on night shifts (been as low as 2C here) and the duvet is back on the bed but no heating yet. Oh and succumbed to socks wandering around the house
Night temps have been the same. Around 2°C sometime last week but pegged for 6°C tonight.

We've the summer duvet on the bed but now plus a blanket or two and , yup, socks around the house.

For us it depends on the wind direction. If it comes off The Ranges when there is snow on them , then the temps drop .
If the sun is out of a day then we have an added help for heating the house in that we have a covered back decking area which acts as a heat trap for our lounge.
If it is a cloudy day then it will be parky and sometimes colder inside the house than outside.

Local weather temps forecast.

Quite interesting actually. I just checked your latitude and you are definitely further north than I am. We're about on par with Tassie. Thing might be that our area has a micro climate and despite being coastal we can be quite sheltered. We face NE for the most part. Whereas Adelaide fronts a coastline which faces south.

Last edited by BEVS; May 7th 2017 at 5:31 am.
Old May 8th 2017, 12:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Night temps have been the same. Around 2°C sometime last week but pegged for 6°C tonight.

We've the summer duvet on the bed but now plus a blanket or two and , yup, socks around the house.

For us it depends on the wind direction. If it comes off The Ranges when there is snow on them , then the temps drop .
If the sun is out of a day then we have an added help for heating the house in that we have a covered back decking area which acts as a heat trap for our lounge.
If it is a cloudy day then it will be parky and sometimes colder inside the house than outside.

Local weather temps forecast.

Quite interesting actually. I just checked your latitude and you are definitely further north than I am. We're about on par with Tassie. Thing might be that our area has a micro climate and despite being coastal we can be quite sheltered. We face NE for the most part. Whereas Adelaide fronts a coastline which faces south.
I think Adelaide itself has been a little warmer than by me. I live north of the city (Gawler) and work in the Barossa so not sure why it's been so cold. At least it's warming back up a little this week - we have day temps of around the 20 mark and overnight lows only to around 7.
Old May 10th 2017, 1:46 am
`

I'm thinking that today might be the day.

No sun. Cold drizzle.
Looks like a November UK bonfire evening out there right now. Think I may have to join them.

edit.....
MrBEVS came in early from work and has lit the log burner.

Last edited by BEVS; May 10th 2017 at 3:56 am.
Old May 10th 2017, 11:12 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 'Fess up . Who has relit their fires this evening.

My top tip this year is to buy a couple of catalytic hand warmers*, these work a treat for if you enjoy being outdoors and looking rugged but you're also a soft urbanite who enjoys warm pockets/hands .

*As this is BE I'm obliged to make clear other brands of hand warmer are available. I am not paid to sell this product but if the manufacturer would like to pay me an entirely exorbitant fee I'm also not going to let morality get in the way of taking their money.
Old May 11th 2017, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all

I arrive in Auckland on Monday at 9.30 am. It says on the forecast it will be dry with temperature of 16. That is like our summer here in Scotland.

Would shorts and a t shirt be appropriate or does the wind make it feel colder?
Old May 11th 2017, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirrom
I arrive in Auckland on Monday at 9.30 am. It says on the forecast it will be dry with temperature of 16. That is like our summer here in Scotland.

Would shorts and a t shirt be appropriate or does the wind make it feel colder?
Depends where you are in Scotland but 16 in Scotland can feel like 25 elsewhere. A lot of people I know always said the Pacific/Auckland feeled colder than mentioned temps but we're all different. Shorts and rain jacket is always fine.

Last edited by Moses2013; May 11th 2017 at 2:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.