Feijoas

Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:32 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Feijoas

yummy! they're ready Just got my first batch off the tree. I LOVE them
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:35 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feijoas

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
can't be ready or the possums would have had them by now
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Me too

Feijoas are incredibly versatile: use them in muffins, loaves, desserts, cakes, jams, chutneys, sorbets, smoothies… you name it! Ginger and pineapple are both great with fejoas, so try combos like feijoa and ginger bran muffins or feijoa and pineapple sorbet. Here are some more ideas:

Eat them just as they are, straight from the skin with a spoon. Look for pale-coloured, soft-textured centres.
Add chopped feijoas to salads. Not only a taste sensation, the vitamin C will enhance your absorption of iron from cereals and plant foods in the meal.
Use in a fresh salsa: try chopped celery, tomatoes, red onion, avocado and feijoa. Add chilli flakes, mint, coriander and a generous squeeze of lemon.
Use your favourite banana cake recipe to make banana and feijoa cake – or feijoa and ginger cake.
Scoop out the centres and pack into plastic bags with a squeeze of lemon juice, and freeze for later baking.
Add to apple for a delicious pie filling.
Use in muffins with other fruit. They go very well with apple and almonds.
Poach in a little sugar syrup with a knob of ginger.
Spoon over cereal with yoghurt.
Add to juices and smoothies – try banana, feijoas, vanilla yoghurt and honey.
Mix into fruit salad with fresh and canned fruit. Especially nice with pineapple.
Make a feijoa crumble: top fruit with a mix of rolled oats, sliced almonds, brown sugar and coconut flakes. Or try our Feijoa crumble recipe.
Purée in a blender with lemon juice, vanilla and a little sugar. Use in baking instead of half the sugar.

My fav is fresh from the tree though I do use the banana cake recipe using feijoas instead of bananas.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:22 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

fresh off the tree, spooned out and a wee sprinkle of sugar on top!

I stew them too and freeze for crumble over winter. Our poor neighbours trees are bare this year, so we'll share.

We've got no possums

yeh right!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 10:30 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

We all love Feijoas! I wonder if they'll be available in Oz?

My 6 yr old says they're her favourite fruit and she ates heaps of them just sliced in half and scooped out with a spoon.

Feijoa crumble is heavenly
Old Apr 5th 2009, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

Yuk. I have to admit not a favourite fruit by any means
I have tried raw and in crumble and I can say I dont hate it outright but it definately has an aquired tastethat I can do wothout.

Enjoy your supply.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

What is a Feijoa? Sounds Mexican!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newfies
Yuk. I have to admit not a favourite fruit by any means
I have tried raw and in crumble and I can say I dont hate it outright but it definately has an aquired tastethat I can do wothout.

Enjoy your supply.
I have to agree with you, to me they are disgusting and I have tried various recipes. Sorry :-)
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:48 pm
A land far far away

they're kind of a love 'em or hate 'em I reckon.
My Dh doesn't love them, but will manage to eat a crumble that has apples in it too.

Perry G they're an egg shaped fruit with hard green skin and a soft creamy middle. The flavour is very perfumy and sort of hard to describe! They're not like anything else really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoa

here you go - slight overuse of the word 'gritty' though.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

They fall into the 'yuk & 'double yuk' category sadly for us, as we have two bushes which can be relied upon to fruit profusely every blummin' year.

Husband won't go within sniffing distance as they are known for being more efficient than prunes re. certain bodily functions.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:11 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think in flavour they're somewhere between a lychee and a kiwi and a grainy pear.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:22 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Feijoas are great in vodka.

And mashed up with icecream.

I love finding out if there are people who hate feijoas, because much like when I find people who hate olives, they are always willing to give me theirs!

yom yom yom.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:55 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Attached is a pic of one. I was flummoxed when I first came across them, but love them now. Gotta love autumn!
Attached Thumbnails Feijoas-cut-fejoia.jpg  
Old Apr 6th 2009, 5:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the "Yuk" camp. Very proud of the watermelons we've grown this year though, YUM!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 5:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Kiwiprincess;7454419]Feijoas are great in vodka.

[QUOTE]

Now you've got me thinking of Damson Gin, Kiwiprincess. I'm assuming damsons aren't available in NZ. Haven't seen any, anyone else? (Hopeful smilie).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.