Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling safe in NZ

Feeling safe in NZ

Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Feeling safe in NZ

With respect to Bevs comment about a new thread about safety I have NEVER felt safer in my life in relation to crime in NZ.....but then again that's from my frame of reference relative to the time I spent in the certain areas when in the UK.

I am sure there are some from the UK who have an opposite perspective.

Crime, murders and atrocities happen everywhere.

NZ is NOT a hotbed of crime.

We have seen a rising trend alas in the latter but for the most part many of us consider it a safe place to be.

However I do not feel the same way when in a car. Road safety and driving standards are rotten over here...just one of those things. Drive carefully, to the conditions and NEVER, EVER overtake..unless there is a passing lane. A large portion of road deaths are head on I would imagine with excesive spped and some alochol for good measure. Mix in 15 year olds behind the wheel and no insurance..what do you have DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I digress.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Feeling safe in NZ

I feel safe overall re. crime, even though crime happens here.
I feel the driving here is a threat to my longevity.

Perhaps there should be a poll .

edit.....

I have started a poll to run in tandem with Genesis thread about this subject.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 4th 2008 at 10:49 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling safe in NZ

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I feel safe overall re. crime, even though crime happens here.
I feel the driving here is a threat to my longevity.

Perhaps there should be a poll .
I agree I also feel safer in NZ than I do in some parts of the UK. I live in a very very small town but I would not venture out late at night even with my husband now. When it gets around 11 p.m everyone is ready for a fight so its best to keep out of their way. No respect for age either.

As for the driving we did not find it a problem. The first time we visited we motored from Papamoa North Island to Christchurch South Island. I can drive to work here 4 miles away and every idiot is out on the road. (excluding me of course)