Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling ripped off

Feeling ripped off

Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Feeling ripped off

Just been to the chemist to buy:
Glucose tablets for diabetic son $10/UK 48p
Dressing for son's unhealed cut $4.99 each/UK 28p

Why are some things just so rediculously expensive.
One thing I really do miss about the UK is the good old national health.
Most people here only go to the doctors if they are really, really ill.
Well I suppose it should be a bit more like that in the UK, I do remember a UK doctor friend complaining she had a patient who wanted her to put on a corn plaster!
Advice for anyone with a long term illness is stock up on all your meds big time before you come here.
Advice to anyone else, stock up on your favourite perfume, make up, books,and toiletries.
Kaz
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling ripped off

Originally Posted by babybella
Just been to the chemist to buy:
Glucose tablets for diabetic son $10/UK 48p
Dressing for son's unhealed cut $4.99 each/UK 28p

Why are some things just so rediculously expensive.
One thing I really do miss about the UK is the good old national health.
Most people here only go to the doctors if they are really, really ill.
Well I suppose it should be a bit more like that in the UK, I do remember a UK doctor friend complaining she had a patient who wanted her to put on a corn plaster!
Advice for anyone with a long term illness is stock up on all your meds big time before you come here.
Advice to anyone else, stock up on your favourite perfume, make up, books,and toiletries.
Kaz
Welcome to NZ. You could be kind and suggest we have sky high prices because we are a low volume, in the middle of nowhere country. Personally I have a less benign thought process. We are being ripped off because of the duopoly here...just 2 players in the supermarket game with four brands of shop. We are being gouged. Just like we are on petrol when the kiwi$ is sky high and we see little or no relief at the pumps.

Just like we were all gouged when the finance cos fell over. No one in power did anything to prevent it happening and nothing when they all fell over (and they could have).

NZ= a tin pot republic. An empty one which makes it tolerable.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:59 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Not everywhere is a rip off, you just need to know where to look.

http://home.xtra.co.nz/hosts/diabete...at/glucose.htm
Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Not everywhere is a rip off, you just need to know where to look.

http://home.xtra.co.nz/hosts/diabete...at/glucose.htm
Thanks for the link Catchafire, will check it out
Kaz
Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

The NHS wasn't free though...certainly not judging by the chunk i used to lose every month in taxes and national insurance.

At least here, you pay when you need it rather than paying for the people who need it all the time because they don't take care of themselves.

Very simplistic I know, but my GP in the UK told me the NHS isn't sustainable and its creaking. At least here you get time to talk to the doctor and it's not a conveyor belt, even if it does cost you!

The one thing that annoys me is pharmacists in NZ - they are extortionists. I miss Boots. Still it's cheaper getting hayfever medication from the doc than the pharmacist!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
The NHS wasn't free though...certainly not judging by the chunk i used to lose every month in taxes and national insurance.

At least here, you pay when you need it rather than paying for the people who need it all the time because they don't take care of themselves.

Very simplistic I know, but my GP in the UK told me the NHS isn't sustainable and its creaking. At least here you get time to talk to the doctor and it's not a conveyor belt, even if it does cost you!

The one thing that annoys me is pharmacists in NZ - they are extortionists. I miss Boots. Still it's cheaper getting hayfever medication from the doc than the pharmacist!
I agree, the NHS does eat up a huge part of taxpayer funds and people do go for silly little ailments. Here it is user pays so you only go to the doc's if you need to. The pharmacy yes is a rip off and I miss boots and especially my boots card. I have started getting my dad to send glucose tabs and stuff like that out from the UK as even with the postage it is still cheaper. Well especially for me as he pays for it.
Kaz
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the NHS & Boots . Can't do anything about the former but I shop on-line at Boots & have stuff sent to my parents, who kindly send it on to me.
I still have my Advantage card so I continue to collect points. Hope I'm able to treat myself to something nice next time I head to Blighty
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Welcome to NZ. You could be kind and suggest we have sky high prices because we are a low volume, in the middle of nowhere country. Personally I have a less benign thought process. We are being ripped off because of the duopoly here...just 2 players in the supermarket game with four brands of shop. We are being gouged. Just like we are on petrol when the kiwi$ is sky high and we see little or no relief at the pumps.

Just like we were all gouged when the finance cos fell over. No one in power did anything to prevent it happening and nothing when they all fell over (and they could have).

NZ= a tin pot republic. An empty one which makes it tolerable.
It's actually cheaper than Australia based on my last trip, and the supermarkets are all owned by the Australian duopoly too who gouge them just as badly for even worse quality.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babybella
Kaz
That's what www.strawberrynet.com is for.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a case of you live an learn with some of these things. Consider this a lesson learned; you won't do it again.

Early days are a nightmare of simply not knowing where is best to shop for particular items. I well remember when we first arrive here, heading off to the Pharmacy shop for monthly lady things and being floored by the cost.

The pharmacies charge top dollar for most things. The prices of their everyday stuff makes my eyes water and you can get most of those things in the supermarket / Warehouse or K-Mart for a lot less or at least you might be able to stock up when they're be on specials.

I so very seldom ever go in any of the pharmacies, unless it has been for over the counter meds where I have needed advise from an actual pharmacist.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:55 am
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

As for drs taking their time over here cos you pay for the privilege sorry but in my experience they don't, been to two different practices and they are the same the world over, i do think nhs is highly undervalued and appreicate it all the more ive lived in usa and nz and would rate uk health system any day of the week.
so no taxes over here either I will have to ask my hubby what he's doing with the rest of his pay cheque. I'm going shopping
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

At my last GP visit (requested by him as a follow up), I was only in there 2 mins for him to confirm I was ok so he said I didn't need to pay for that visit!
I was gobsmacked but grateful, nevertheles
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hellie73
i do think nhs is highly undervalued and appreicate it all the more ive lived in usa and nz and would rate uk health system any day of the week.
I've experienced the UK and USA too, the USA is light years ahead in standard of treatment and professionalism. (I think USA and France regularly regarded as the best in the world). Only problem is you need insurance if you live there which costs a fortune.

The NHS offers a very poor experience IMO and encourages malingerers. The worst thing is even if you want to pay for a better service you can't. Try getting a GP when you feel really ill at the weekend in many place - as opposed to just going to a 24hr private clinic in NZ. And in many places the length of time to wait for a free booking is ridiculous, then that forces idiots with colds to go to A&E.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Scripts are often cheap here
And I would rather pay to see a GP and get to see one in the next day or two rather than wait a fortnight
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

kiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nice

We live in a rural yorkshire village and due to more housing developments our Health Centre is really stretched. It is near impossible to see a doctor. Although I will miss free doctors visits I will be pleased to be able to see a doctor when I want to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.