Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling ripped off

Feeling ripped off

Old Jan 12th 2012, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling ripped off

Originally Posted by Genesis
Just like we are on petrol when the kiwi$ is sky high and we see little or no relief at the pumps.
You shouldn't have mentioned that mate, it had been stuck on 206.9 for ages, as soon as you said this it jumped up to 211.9!!!!
I think you should keep quiet about money matters for a while. I will watch the GBP/$ with interest now you have mentioned that on another thread
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Addictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sr71
Great, so they weren't really sick at all, because if you lived in NZ they would have just had to get over it and probably ended up with stronger immune systems. Yet you still feel good because you've saved $150-200.

Who exactly do you think pays for all of that? And it's not just you, it's the other 10's of thousands of people that have unnecessarily visited a GP in Britain that day because it's free, but in reality it costs taxpayers a fortune.
You are missing the point MR HIGH AND MIGHTY I did not realise that you are qualified to suggest that my children were not that sick at all and that I was wasting taxpayers money.(By the way I pay my taxes just thought I would let you know before you get on your high horse again.)

I lived in NZ for nearly 8 years and my husbands wages were so crap that sometimes we had to take a gamble with our childrens health should we take them to the Drs or pay the food bill or the electricity or the council rates......................... see the pattern.............

Wake up in the real world and see the shocking child poverty in NZ where you have families living in garages,damp mouldy cold houses,children going to school with no breakfast,parents who can not afford to take their children to the doctors............
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Addictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by love30stm

it amazes me what people move back to the uk for

i might complain about NZ from time to time well Wanganui but i know where i would rather be.

The Doctors always have time for you here not that im ill that often thank god
Yes I moved my whole family back to the other side of the world after nearly 8 years living here and my children loving living here just so I could get free medicine???????

Please carry on living in Wanganui because you must really fit in with all the locals with your narrow minded brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Addictedtosushi
You are missing the point MR HIGH AND MIGHTY
Wake up in the real world and see the shocking child poverty in NZ where you have families living in garages,damp mouldy cold houses,children going to school with no breakfast,parents who can not afford to take their children to the doctors............
Is this just me or does this sound like the banned Debs posting under a different name.
If my kids needed to see a doctor then I would take them and we would all have weetbix for dinner. If you didn't take them then obviously they didn't need to go
Kaz
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:37 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Addictedtosushi
Yes I moved my whole family back to the other side of the world after nearly 8 years living here and my children loving living here just so I could get free medicine???????

Please carry on living in Wanganui because you must really fit in with all the locals with your narrow minded brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wind your neck in love
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by babybella
Is this just me or does this sound like the banned Debs posting under a different name.
Hi Babybella. You have a wee PM .

editing here to add......
For the record & anyone else out there. No. AddictedtoSushi is not an old banned user Debs from 2005

I've just read through some of this thread and it seems to end up in the same old comparison thing where there is no comparison to be had really.

I was nearly killed here in NZ through wrongful GP diagnosis and an operation I did not need, resulting in an emergency situation & a 6 hour operation. I kid you not.

Funnily enough , same for my dear old Dad back in the UK .

So, you see , it's the same old same old everywhere. Depends on who you get for an individual GP and same for the medical staff unless of course, it is all private. Then you get all care but the same medical staff.

ACC + physio treatment is not cost free . Certainly not for my husband. It does have a $$ price to pay.

His renewal prescription is $10 bucks a hit + the bloods and GP costs every couple of months.

We all pay somehow. Don't begrudge it for the UK or for here. It could be the USA where private medical seems to be everything else it's poop time and debt.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 15th 2012 at 10:27 pm. Reason: checked this accusation out and found it not to be the case.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I've been to the docs here in nz I've never paid more than 3 bucks for prescription meds
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what is being prescribed. Some medecines are covered by the government so only cost $3, others are not. Things like HRT aren't part of the scheme. Know someone who couldn't afford the $200/month so stopped taking it.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:40 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

cough mixture and throat lozenges - $30
is that expensive? I think it is in a place where most wages are $13.50 per hour
oh no it's back to www.oilyrag.co.nz
salt and water or garlic and oranges are cheaper than cough mixture and lozenges
hmmm maybe hot toddy - whisky and lemon and honey ($30?) now we're talking! may as well get sloshed while we are at it

Last edited by tweetweet; Jan 16th 2012 at 8:45 am.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:45 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweetweet
cough mixture and throat lozenges - $30
is that expensive? I think it is in a place where most wages are $13.50 per hour
Surely that can be very expensive or very cheap dependent on what you buy in what quantities....I can do that in Boots or Superdrug...
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Not likely to be very cheap. We haven't an equivalent of Superdrug. Pharmacies around us here are small shops selling a variety of products + a wee chemist area. Bit like a mini Boots. You can buy similar in the supermarkets but again, not cheap. Best thing is to shop around on-line.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:42 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not likely to be very cheap. We haven't an equivalent of Superdrug. Pharmacies around us here are small shops selling a variety of products + a wee chemist area. Bit like a mini Boots. You can buy similar in the supermarkets but again, not cheap. Best thing is to shop around on-line.
Yes I've had some success on the internet. Just be warned, be careful getting vitamins overseas - some contents like vit D are a prescription med here and medsafe will ask you for a script to let it through - the Doctor's visit wiped out any savings! They did say we were welcome to email them if we weren't sure about any ingredients.

I was looking for a support bandage for my ankle and it was up to $30 in the pharmacy. Went to the cheapy Asian shop down the road and they had good quality ones for $3!