Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling ripped off

Feeling ripped off

Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Addictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to all
Default Re: Feeling ripped off

I have been back in the Uk now for a month and have seen the Dr twice since I have been back for my 2 children.

I needed some antibiotics for them and I was booked in the same day it was not like a conveyor belt and the Dr had a lot of time to talk to me it was no different to the treatment I used to get from the Drs in New Zealand.
And the best bit was all the medicines were free as my children are under 18.

If this had been in NZ it would have cost me easily $150-$200 for the apps and medicines, infact I would not have bothered taking them as I would not have been able to afford it.(One of the reasons we moved back to the UK).
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:02 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Addictedtosushi
I have been back in the Uk now for a month and have seen the Dr twice since I have been back for my 2 children.

I needed some antibiotics for them and I was booked in the same day it was not like a conveyor belt and the Dr had a lot of time to talk to me it was no different to the treatment I used to get from the Drs in New Zealand.
And the best bit was all the medicines were free as my children are under 18.

If this had been in NZ it would have cost me easily $150-$200 for the apps and medicines, infact I would not have bothered taking them as I would not have been able to afford it.(One of the reasons we moved back to the UK).
Must be either an area thing or my Doc dosn't like me! My best shot last time was a 10min telephone interview after 3 days wait.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Scripts are often cheap here
And I would rather pay to see a GP and get to see one in the next day or two rather than wait a fortnight
I have always been able to see my Dr or atleast a Dr the same or following day. They seem happy to let me winge for 10 minutes with my list of ailments and I've never felt rushed.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:57 pm
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by martyc
I have always been able to see my Dr or atleast a Dr the same or following day. They seem happy to let me winge for 10 minutes with my list of ailments and I've never felt rushed.
the best thing in NZ is not to get ill!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:10 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweetweet
the best thing in NZ is not to get ill!
Er that might just be the best bet anywhere....
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:29 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

And the best bit was all the medicines were free as my children are under 18..
Well at best you (or others) paid for them via taxation.

Compare experiences by all means, and there is enough comment to show there is a very wide UK experience despite it all being under a single health service, but the costs are just different in NZ, funding is by different routes, it's just one factor in the differences between the two countries.

One aspect that should be obvious is that in the UK you have little control over the health experience you get, at least in NZ you can take your money elsewhere quite easily....
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

One aspect that should be obvious is that in the UK you have little control over the health experience you get, at least in NZ you can take your money elsewhere quite easily....[/QUOTE]

Good point, at least in NZ if you don't like your GP you can easily move to another practise. The other thing is perscriptions are only $3 per item as opposed to £7 per item in the UK.
Kaz
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babybella
The other thing is perscriptions are only $3 per item as opposed to £7 per item in the UK.
Kaz
Not the UK, just England. Prescriptions are free in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I've only had good experiences with GP's here, appointments that day or the next, no rush to get you in and out again and <$30/appointment.
Comparing my immigration medical carried out in the UK by a private doctor and in NZ by my local GP the GP was much more thorough. My private doc had me in and out in 15 mins, rushed through the forms and charged me £380 for the priviledge.
Here my GP went though every question, had me doing weird stretches and agility tests and took a good hour to do it all for the grand cost of $290.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Great, so they weren't really sick at all, because if you lived in NZ they would have just had to get over it and probably ended up with stronger immune systems. Yet you still feel good because you've saved $150-200.

Who exactly do you think pays for all of that? And it's not just you, it's the other 10's of thousands of people that have unnecessarily visited a GP in Britain that day because it's free, but in reality it costs taxpayers a fortune.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:12 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
Great, so they weren't really sick at all, because if you lived in NZ they would have just had to get over it and probably ended up with stronger immune systems. Yet you still feel good because you've saved $150-200.

Who exactly do you think pays for all of that? And it's not just you, it's the other 10's of thousands of people that have unnecessarily visited a GP in Britain that day because it's free, but in reality it costs taxpayers a fortune.

it amazes me what people move back to the uk for

i might complain about NZ from time to time well Wanganui but i know where i would rather be.

The Doctors always have time for you here not that im ill that often thank god
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Can the doctor prescribe the glucose tablets? Also the Department of Work and Pensions can also provide a small amount of money for children who have long term illnesses I believe and might be worth looking into.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:08 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

That's how it is. And let's not get into a debate comparing the NHS big stuff and how it helps cure people of cancer daily, that is all great and worthy but it's the frankly unnecessary stuff that financially kills it, and the vast majority of that is "free" prescriptions and the trivial minor "care" that is only taken up because it is "free".....the NHS is fully part of the UK having lived beyond its means for years....IMHO of course!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo25
Can the doctor prescribe the glucose tablets? Also the Department of Work and Pensions can also provide a small amount of money for children who have long term illnesses I believe and might be worth looking into.
Hi Rob,
No glucose tablets are not funded so it would cost me the same at the chemist. At the moment my Dad sends them out from the UK. I have however been told of a diabetic help centre at coastlands and they sell them there, probably cheaper I have yet to check them out.
I have just applied for a child disability living allowance for him so that will help offset the cost of things like lucozade, glucose tabs and that fake sugar we have to buy.
cheers
Kaz
Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I went to get my achilles seen to after injuring it two weeks ago and seeing no real improvement ( I need to be able to run in 4 weeks other wise I'd leave it longer)
Phoned the Physio at 1.30 on Tuesday and had an appointment for 3pm. Back again yesterday and another appointment tomorrow. All paid for by ACC.
Marvellous
Old Jan 12th 2012, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Just the same here, except it's hundreds of people using free ED treatment, paid for by the tax-payer. That's why you can get into Doctors easily, if folk can get something for free they'll take it, even if it's costing them as much to get there in fuel as it would just to walk to the local doctor.

To the OP, find a friend who works at a hospital, staff get huge discounts at the hospital pharmacy, my OH gets my hay-fever tablets, $19 for 20 in our local chemist, I get 100 exactly the same for $15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.