Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling a little disillusioned and lonely!

Feeling a little disillusioned and lonely!

Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Feeling a little disillusioned and lonely!

Originally Posted by bdclayton
Hi there
We to have only been here 4 weeks in Tauranga we are finding it very difficult. We have residency. I cannot even get a job interview I was under the impression that a job would not be to difficult to get ( i worked for a large water company in the U K ) but the companies here do not even reply to my emails or letters. Fortunately we have no children here and my wife is a nurse so we could move. But to where ? And would it be any better ? I think that both of you need to work here to get by.
The boredom is now setting in for me as my wife works shifts so i am spending a lot of time watching crap T V. What next ? I don't feel missed as we have been to New zealand before but things have changed here since our last visit six years ago ( I don't want to sound like a whinging pom). I do feel for you and understand your feelings. I don't know if returning to the U K is the answer at the moment i don't have one.I know people will tell us to give it more time but the vibes are not good. New Zealand is a beautiful place but that does not pay the bills. Lets just keep smiling and maybe give it until Christmas.
hi have you tried applying for any job, can you drive not sure if they are takeing people on but you could try down at the port, they are very busy
some of the concrete plants might be worth a go just go and knock on some doors and not send e-mails might just pay anything is better than nothing
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by concretepump
hi have you tried applying for any job, can you drive not sure if they are takeing people on but you could try down at the port, they are very busy
some of the concrete plants might be worth a go just go and knock on some doors and not send e-mails might just pay anything is better than nothing
Yeah, NZ is still quite old fashioned for the most part, and don't go in for emails so much regarding jobs.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of

Hi there
We to have only been here 4 weeks in Tauranga we are finding it very difficult. We have residency. I cannot even get a job interview I was under the impression that a job would not be to difficult to get ( i worked for a large water company in the U K ) but the companies here do not even reply to my emails or letters. Fortunately we have no children here and my wife is a nurse so we could move. But to where ? And would it be any better ? I think that both of you need to work here to get by.
The boredom is now setting in for me as my wife works shifts so i am spending a lot of time watching crap T V. What next ? I don't feel missed as we have been to New zealand before but things have changed here since our last visit six years ago ( I don't want to sound like a whinging pom). I do feel for you and understand your feelings. I don't know if returning to the U K is the answer at the moment i don't have one.I know people will tell us to give it more time but the vibes are not good. New Zealand is a beautiful place but that does not pay the bills. Lets just keep smiling and maybe give it until Christmas.
Hi BD,

We have been here 5 weeks now, from what I've been told, it isnt unusual to hear nothing for quite some time re jobs. Neither myself or my OH have found positions, and I must say it has us extreemley worried. I've lost count of the applications I've filled out !! However I had a phone call from personell at a hospital saying i should hopefuly hear something soon My Oh who is in the motor industry however has heard nothing .
I agree with you as worrying as it is, we just need to give it more time.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:11 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anniiee
Hi BD,

We have been here 5 weeks now, from what I've been told, it isnt unusual to hear nothing for quite some time re jobs. Neither myself or my OH have found positions, and I must say it has us extreemley worried. I've lost count of the applications I've filled out !! However I had a phone call from personell at a hospital saying i should hopefuly hear something soon My Oh who is in the motor industry however has heard nothing .
I agree with you as worrying as it is, we just need to give it more time.
Omg that is scary for you, so you have some here with no jobs secured?? I expect its getting worse now. when we came two years ago my hubby got a job the first week and a good one! but we came with no jobs secured so it could have been the same for us!

And Im still looking for a job for me but no luck so far, sometimes dont even get a thankyou but no thanks!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:50 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Not hearing about jobs is probably the flip side of lots of companies being small to medium businesses. I work for a reasonably large organisation (although the paid staff are reasonably small in numbers) and we simply dont have the staff to get it all done.

It should be done as a priority but if there's 5 differing priorities something gets dropped

Oh, and I had around 120 applications to one job. Perhaps half of them rang or emailed asking about what they can do better, whether their applicaton could have been improved by X, Y or Z and other feedback. It's simply not possibly when you don't have a full time HR person (I am an EA), when you have to be careful not to enter into debates and when sometimes the position is just not suited for that person.

The only thing I would say is to target your application to the job descriptions core compentencies or specific tasks If you are needing to quickly go through 120 applications then the CVs which stand out get looked at first
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:17 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by concretepump
Thanks for the reply
I will try the docks and my next plan was knocking on doors.
I can drive and have a N Z driving license but when i took my UK driving license into the AA office they told me I could only have a car license and had to give up my truck license until i took another test and medical but i could drive on my UK license for one year. Again thanks for the docks idea as you say "anything is better than nothing"
p.s I have tried the docks once Stevedore had a vacancy but no luck.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:21 am
Just Joined

SueMF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The harrisons
Hello everyone,
We arrived just four weeks ago and have settled in Flatbush, Manukau City. My husband David already had a job offer at Middlemoore Hospital and Flatbush is easily commutable.
We literally had 2 weeks to sort out accommodation and transport etc...and I feel we've made some bad choices already regarding our location. I dream't of a little villa in the country and we've found ourselves on a massive housing estate with little or no community spirit to be found.
We are really concerned with how expensive just about everything is and are worrying about our financial situation here. Back at home in the UK, I felt that I'd put a lot of research into emigrating through media and the internet and I really feel like we've been led astray. I purchased many books, one of which is entitled " Where to live in Auckland'. According to My husbands wages we fall into a population profile of 'Elite Professionals' and 'Comfortable and Secure" however I feel it couldn't be further than the truth!!!
It really isn't my intention to come over as a whinging pom, I'm just really worried and concerned that things here aren't quite as we'd expected or hoped.
We have managed to do some sightseeing and NZ is without any doubt a beautiful country and the people very helpful and friendly.
It would be great if there are any other newcomers in the surrounding area, to meet up for a chat to share concerns and advise and a little support.
I look forward to hearing from you as I could really do with a friend right now. Paula.
Hi there,
We moved here a year ago and struggled at first. We fortunately found a rental in Beachlands which is lovely. There is also Maraetai which is close by and equally as good. Have you had a look there? We would feel the same if we lived in Flat Bush. With regards to making friends. It has taken time but now we have made quite a few (mostly from work). Work people seem more inclined to be friendly we have found and include you socially. Just stick with it and after a while you will love it like we do.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueMF
Hi there,
We moved here a year ago and struggled at first. We fortunately found a rental in Beachlands which is lovely. There is also Maraetai which is close by and equally as good. Have you had a look there? We would feel the same if we lived in Flat Bush. With regards to making friends. It has taken time but now we have made quite a few (mostly from work). Work people seem more inclined to be friendly we have found and include you socially. Just stick with it and after a while you will love it like we do.
We are also in Beachlands too and love it here! Everytime I drive through Flat Bush I comment how close the houses are to each other...talk about looking into each others windows!! But I must admit that its hard to live on one wage here... I have applied for a part time job but hey its been weeks already and I was told I have an interview but still nothing in writing to confirm. We are not desperate for me to work as littlie is not 3 yet so childcare will be expensive.... but we do always seem to be totally skint by the end of the month. Having said that we struggle a bit.... we still love it here in Beachlands.

So to the OP we are not far away from you and you are more than welcome to PM me if you want to get in touch. Good luck with everything!!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:50 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
You must be climbing the walls - daytime TV is dull!

I'm not sure what your line of work is - can only see that you've worked for a large water company in UK.

We used an excellent recruitment agent in Tauranga - Paddy Shaw at Harper Smith Global Recruitment on First Avenue. He may/may not be able to help. You don't pay him - if he finds you a job, the employer pays his fee. Maybe worth a shot? Personally, I'd just rock up to the office - there's something about being present in person that works better than a phone call or email.

You could also try Priority One, if you haven't already.

Good luck
Old Oct 30th 2009, 7:33 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo

I'm not sure what your line of work is - can only see that you've worked for a large water company in UK.

We used an excellent recruitment agent in Tauranga - Paddy Shaw at Harper Smith Global Recruitment on First Avenue. He may/may not be able to help. You don't pay him - if he finds you a job, the employer pays his fee. Maybe worth a shot? Personally, I'd just rock up to the office - there's something about being present in person that works better than a phone call or email.

Good luck
bdclayton-

Gail Elliot at Priority One emails a list of employment vacancies to you on a fortnightly basis if you request it. BUT - when I've looked at the list I'm pretty sure it's the ones that have already been advertised in the Bay Of Plenty Times. Could be wrong ... but pretty sure.

We are organising a BE brunch in Papamoa for Sunday - why not come along?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:42 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck
Hi there
thank for the reply
yep i have tried Priority One Gail Elliot sends me a list of jobs every two weeks and i have resisted with two job agencies in town.
My line of work is waste water ( sewage treatment ) not flattering but usually there is work. Before we came out here i sent CVs to the local council and City Care to get a feel for the job situation the council even gave me a phone number to ring when i got here. I also went to the jobs expo in Leeds and spoke to several engineering firms again i got good feed back about getting work.I did ring the number the council gave me when we arrived and i was just a joke really ( they were very friendly and polite)
they said " yep we have your CV its really good to know there is someone in the area with your background but we don't have anything at the moment"

I have tried knocking on doors and Trade Me web site Brick 7 web site Seek web site and many more i have subscribed to all there email alerts for any type of job.I am now trying all over NZ as we are willing to relocate. i think i have exhausted Tauranga
My wife is a nurse so the jobs are easy for her to get. I am not disillusioned by all of this its just how it is.
But you have to be practical. There are only two of us out here and we can not live on one wage we are starting to break into our savings and we can see were we will be in another years time if this carries on.
We are giving it until Christmas then we will try else where maybe Australia
or even return to the UK.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:49 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

So you've nothing to lose trying Paddy Shaw then especially if you're looking NZ-wide. It was Paddy that got my OH a job in Christchurch.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and wherever you end up
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:28 pm
Busy Again

So you've nothing to lose trying Paddy Shaw then especially if you're looking NZ-wide. It was Paddy that got my OH a job in Christchurch.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and wherever you end up
Hi
I have tried Harper Smith along with two other agencies in town again no luck but i will keep trying. From the vibes i am picking up from people that have just come over here is its very difficult in Taranga to find work.
like i say we will give it until Christmas you just cant live on one wage.
New Zeland is a beautiful place but its no good if you are going to end up poor when all the savings are gone and you are stuck here on a low wage.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

New Zeland is a beautiful place but its no good if you are going to end up poor when all the savings are gone and you are stuck here on a low wage.

How very, very true. No matter how wonderful any place may be being skint is horrible. I would not live anywhere that left me thus. Lets hope you get that job!!