Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling a little disillusioned and lonely!

Feeling a little disillusioned and lonely!

Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice
Default Re: Feeling a little disillusioned and lonely!

I would expect an "elite salary" to be 250k+ in Auckland these days
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to the Harrisons

I'm sorry to hear you are finding it difficult we arrived on a reccie last Fri we stayed in Whatawhata first 2 days and found the supermarket really expensive went into Hamilton it wasn't too bad cost wise then flew down to South Island which we have found much cheaper. Asparagus in North Island was £4.99 down here it was $1.99 big difference (a small maybe silly example )
Maybe in a few months once you have settled a bit more and you are still not happy with the area you can try talking to the agent to get out of the contract if you explain your situation

Hope things get better soon x
Old Oct 19th 2009, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The harrisons
Hi, Thanks for your reply. You mentioned a meeting in town, is that the Auckland get-together at 5pm? If it is we were thinking of attending ourselves.
How are you finding Papatoetoe? Have you any children? Ours are quiet grown up now. Our youngest is 12 years but she behaves more like 16!!
It would be nice to meet up for a drink if we don't meet already at Bluestones. Paula.
Hi, yes I did mean the get together at Bluestones on Friday, we are hoping to make it. Long story about children, between us we have one girl and 4 boys all grown up, one boy in Wellington and the rest in the UK.
We will tell you all about Papatoetoe when we meet up, there is so much to say but I like it.
If we dont see you on Friday maybe a drink over the weekend over this side of town?
I hope having all the replies makes you feel that you are not on your own, I think the good thing having this web-site is that it makes you feel like we are all in this together.......if you know what I mean.
See you soon.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for your reply and reassurance. We are currently renting a property but because of time-pressure, I feel like we settled for a place and location that we wouldn't have if we'd have had more time to invest in. Our rental contract is unfortunately for a year, I wish we'd signed for less but again I felt bulldozed into signing by the agent. My husband's job is also on a 1 year contract, so I fell trapped to stay for that length of time. The property itself is very modern and nice with a number of luxuries that we didn't have in the UK but the estate is enormous and everybody seems to keep to themselves.
I realise that it's early days and it's comforting to know others have experienced similar thoughts and concerns. I hope that in time I'll start to feel more positive, Thanks again for your kind words. Paula.
Hi interesting post. I felt something similar when we arrived. We made the mistake of renting here before oh secured a job. His first post was down in the southern lakes at Lake Tekapo and I was stuck in a rental on my own in Rangiora (We still live in the town but have bought now!). He was away all week and I had family nearby in Chch but for the most part I was here on my own while other half was 3 hours away. I know the feeling of making mistakes - I did eventually move out of the rental and into another in Chch to be closer to my girls. You know what, it seems like an age ago when we were parted that first time - I thought it was the end of the world. We didn't come here to live apart we came here to start a new life. It didn't seem right but now it is just like a distant memory. We have been here nearly 3 years in December and when we decided to buy we moved back out here to RAngiora. I know nothing about Manaukau or the North Island really so cannot comment on where you live. It WILL get better. If you found someone else to take over your rental could you get out of it. Might pay to ask the question if you are so desperately unhappy. Ask the Agent and see. My daughter I remember simply walked away from a dreadful rental and lost her deposit and her reputation but it was well worth it. She just left and took the keys to the Agent, no one chased her they only kept the deposit which she was happy to forfeit. It may not be the best advice in the world but it worked. (Ok your property people I know you shouldn't do that really- but neither should anyone be badgered into a 12 month rental!!) Anyway, I really hope things improve for you soon. It took me ages to find a job and at one stage I was ready to throw in the towel and move back home. Now I am quite settled and have a part time jobn in the town where I live (not happy there though but hey it's a job!) I manage to save some money every week and have built up a nice little nest egg in the 10 months I have been working - nearly enough for a return ticket back to see the family in the UK!) Life it more relaxed here and apart from the remoteness of NZ I think I like it here!! Please don't lose heart, I am sure it will all get better in time. Keep your chin up and keep smiling.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Blimey!! I was only SLIGHTLY out then!!!!!!!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:45 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, you need a basic six figure salary (per person) to live reasonably well in New Zealand outside of major cities as well.

I hope we didn't mislead anyone, New Zealand is a nice place to live if you've got the money or you are being hooked up in a really nice job.

If your anywhere near the basic wages that most kiwis earn you will find life a struggle.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I agree, you need a basic six figure salary (per person) to live reasonably well in New Zealand outside of major cities as well.

I hope we didn't mislead anyone, New Zealand is a nice place to live if you've got the money or you are being hooked up in a really nice job.

If your anywhere near the basic wages that most kiwis earn you will find life a struggle.

The equivalent of $85k (ish) PA with no mortgage in a rural town WILL ensure you an excellent quality of life. That's with 3 kids, big bills, 2 cars and shopping without a budget. But maintaining frugality buying large when discounts of 33% plus are on offer.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:20 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Being mortgage free bumps your salary by at least $20K (+++) by my reckoning- so for all intents and purposes your head's above $100K.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,
We arrived just four weeks ago and have settled in Flatbush, Manukau City. My husband David already had a job offer at Middlemoore Hospital and Flatbush is easily commutable.
We literally had 2 weeks to sort out accommodation and transport etc...and I feel we've made some bad choices already regarding our location. I dream't of a little villa in the country and we've found ourselves on a massive housing estate with little or no community spirit to be found.
We are really concerned with how expensive just about everything is and are worrying about our financial situation here. Back at home in the UK, I felt that I'd put a lot of research into emigrating through media and the internet and I really feel like we've been led astray. I purchased many books, one of which is entitled " Where to live in Auckland'. According to My husbands wages we fall into a population profile of 'Elite Professionals' and 'Comfortable and Secure" however I feel it couldn't be further than the truth!!!
It really isn't my intention to come over as a whinging pom, I'm just really worried and concerned that things here aren't quite as we'd expected or hoped.
We have managed to do some sightseeing and NZ is without any doubt a beautiful country and the people very helpful and friendly.
It would be great if there are any other newcomers in the surrounding area, to meet up for a chat to share concerns and advise and a little support.
I look forward to hearing from you as I could really do with a friend right now. Paula.
Hi Paula, I have to say I feel much the same as you and we haven't even reached 2 weeks yet!! We can't find anywhere to rent and if we do find a half decent place by the time we've gone off to chat about it, its been taken!!! We are feeling disillusioned, disappointed and depressed. I'm sure it won't last but like you we thought we had done the research but everything is soooo expensive. We came over expecting to find a rental for $400 pw now we are looking at places which are $480 and still struggling to find any to view. Good luck to you, I'm sure if there was more sun we would all feel better. Bevissa xx
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Hi Paula, I have to say I feel much the same as you and we haven't even reached 2 weeks yet!! We can't find anywhere to rent and if we do find a half decent place by the time we've gone off to chat about it, its been taken!!! We are feeling disillusioned, disappointed and depressed. I'm sure it won't last but like you we thought we had done the research but everything is soooo expensive. We came over expecting to find a rental for $400 pw now we are looking at places which are $480 and still struggling to find any to view. Good luck to you, I'm sure if there was more sun we would all feel better. Bevissa xx
Hi There, Just a quick question, do you need to live on the North Shore? I mean do you work in the CDB or on the Shore? There are plenty of decent houses round here for rent at around $375 and some are very nice.
We rented a 3 bed house with 1/4 acre for $350.
If I can help I will.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Just another quick one, a good way of meeting people and getting involved with the community is, join a club. We joined a bowling club when we first moved to Wellington and the people I met there are still great friends even though we are now in Auckland 4 years later.
Just a thought. Oh and by the way, I dont play bowls.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paula

We are just up the road from you - renting in Whitford. We have been here a year now and have settled.

If you and your family would like to pop over to ours you are more than welcome, our youngest is 13 (girl) and we have two boys (15 and 18).

I'll send you a PM with our address/details.

Kerry
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of

Hi Paula,

We also arrived here 4 weeks ago, and are feeling very much like you are. We are also going on Friday so we'll maybe see you there. We are just hoping its settling in nerves, and that everything will work out eventualy. After reading everything and anything on here, prior to our arrival I think how we are feeling is pretty normal in the early days.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I would add a few more pluses, my boss earns that and he's a good ten steps away from the top of the tree, he still complains he doesn't earn enough and that others of his peers in similar middle management ranks earn more than him. The CEO must be on $500k plus.

It's always interesting googling the Annual Report for the company you work for, because they are legally bound to publish the salary bands and numbers of of people that earn over $100k. The odd thing is that $100k was set in stone over a decade ago, as being an exceptionally high salary worthy of note - it's very out of date now! It's dead easy to spot the CEO and his / her entourage, when it shows one person earned $500k+ last year, three people earned $350k+ etc

I think it would be pretty hard to be led astray on what is and isn't a liveable income. You really do need to be packing in $100k plus if you have rent or mortgage to pay in Auckland and that figure has been bandied about as a 'minimum' ever since we were doing our research some 5 to 6 years ago. It needs updating and ought to be higher than that by now. Others will of course manage on less, if they have to, but it would be a very frugal existence and likely to be iin one of the lesser desirable areas.

Many of us have struggled with similar feelings of shock and horror at the cost of everything and wonder how we'll ever manage, but somehow we do. There are ways to reign in the expenses and first experiences here can be a very sharp learning curve in the art of stretching a dollar.

On first arrival the shopping bills are abnormally high and will settle down again once you re-built up stocks of all the basics and you soon learn to bulk buy the things you like when they are on special. Sad as it may seem!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

CindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the rough

Hi Paula.My family and I live in Dannemora ,just down the road from where you are.We have been here just over a year .It is sooo difficult when you first come over with all the stress and expectations .It can take a good few months to feel settled ,but it does happen !! Have sent you a pm .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.