Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling disheartened

Feeling disheartened

Old May 8th 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling disheartened

I can sympathise - it is hard finding work in any field at the moment, let along from the other side of the world.

I notice on www.jobs.govt.nz there are only 5 jobs being advertised in the public sector finance work, 4 in Wellington and 1 contract job in Christchurch.

We didn't have the visa issues you have when we were looking, but OH works in Wellington in the public sector. NZ in general is about who you know, networking and making contacts so I strongly suggest you spend your money on a reccy. Employers obviously give you a more positive reception when you have firm dates for starting and can meet you face to face (especially for coffee!).

One thing we did other than scour every online vacancy list and chase up agencies etc. was directly phoning companies and Government departments. Ask for the name of the Head of Department and/or HR Director or whoever they thought he should send a CV directly to. Then send a CV and followed it up with a phone call. A hard slog but worthwhile especially as it would give you the opportunity to explain the visa situation directly to the recruiter. My OH then had more contacts to meet with on his reccy.

I wish you a lot of luck and I hope you find something. I think you may have to be flexible in location and/or starting date. It may mean your OH has to come out to NZ before you. Obviously most public sector jobs are in Wellington, but as Snap Shot says there are regional offices to contact too.
Old May 8th 2013, 9:43 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiger mama
Is the public sector quite wary of migrants? ..
Um, no different to any other employer, I mean no better and no worse. I've had 3 separate public sector job interviews and got turned down each time. In fact, make that 4 if you include the admin job I was interviewed and turned down for at a local military base. I worked on a temporary basis for a local authority here in NZ.

My husband's first interview in Christchurch was for a finance position with a well known contractor, but they turned him down. (So much for getting in on the rebuild then.) He had other interviews with companies via various employment agencies, but no job offer resulted from them. Employment agencies in Christchurch ? As far as he's concerned they were all as useless as each other - sorry. If he applied for a job himself, he would get a call from one employment agency effectively telling him off because the agency wanted to put him forward for the job.

So just who is administering all the millions if not billions of nz government money that is funding the rebuild ?

A huge contracting company here in NZ called, 'Main Zeal' went out of business earlier this year. It just defies belief that trades people were locked out of their work sites, unable even to retrieve their tools. As for being paid, well, they just join the back of the queue with the rest of the creditors.

Enterprise Recruitment in Christchurch got me my first job there. That was my, 'foot in the door' of kiwi employment. So I don't really subscribe to the 'one eyed Cantabrian' view.

You may have heard of the expression, 'one eyed Cantabrian' that means they don't look at people with both eyes open i.e. they've got a blind spot for people from overseas. That includes taking that viewpoint to people from the North Island of N.Z. too ! To them the Cook Straight is overseas.

Would your husband look on the nz govt jobs website ? To see what's available at his skill level ? NZ Government jobs are among the only jobs that usually advertise the salaries. Would he apply for one no matter where in NZ it was based ? Go on, I dare ya !

My husband got the job he has currently from the nz govt jobs website that MOSO has linked in the above post. It made me smile that despite any 'hot air' he got from agencies, in the end, he did it himself. Who knew ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 8th 2013 at 10:18 pm.
Old May 8th 2013, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Thanks for your support even though it's your thread !

I should probably shut my gob but that's what we were told when we lived in Christchurch 3 weeks after the Feb 2011 earthquake. The exhortation from employment agencies at least was, 'help us rebuild Christchurch'. However, as you already know, nothing has turned into anything.

Would you consider looking for work elsewhere in NZ with the ultimate goal of living in Christchurch one day ?

Good luck.
'm gonna go with Debs' comment on here

Yes there may be 'plenty of jobs' but I wonder how many of these jobs actually get fulfilled.

When we moved here, my wife was lucky that she easily got a job with the CHDB - despite her being too over qualified. Even though some of the people she works with are migrant haters, her boss and head nurses value her so much since she can do a lot of the stuff they do. Has to be on the sly as she's too qualified to be an aide, but the jobs she did back in England are only done here by nurses

Now since the arrival of the new born, she's been looking at permanent work in care homes. Not one has offered her an interview, yet she's got 6 years experience of being an health care assistant. Mind boggling she's being rejected. One of the places she applied for who never got back to her, are still looking! WTF, someone who's got plenty of years as an health care assistant, and worked in elderly care for 4 of those years - not even getting an interview. What does she have to do????

I must have been lucky as I was offered the job i've got back in the UK.
Old May 8th 2013, 10:27 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Not one has offered her an interview, yet she's got .... years experience....... Mind boggling she's being rejected. One of the places she applied for who never got back to her, are still looking! WTF....... not even getting an interview.

What does she have to do????
Yup, comin' right back at ya ! Thanks Tom. If I was still living in Worcester Street, Christchurch I'd ask if your wife (and baby of course) would like to meet for coffee at, 'After the red verandah' on the corner of Worcester Street and what ever the other street it corners with is called. We could commiserate regarding our relevant employment woes.

Ahh...happy days in Christchurch. No they weren't !

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 8th 2013 at 10:29 pm.
Old May 9th 2013, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Persephone;10696940]Agree with MrsF. Forget the advisor. I don't know how much they've quoted you but from costs others have posted on here it is often cheaper to buy return flights to NZ to look for a job than pay for an advisor

Hi, I have to agree with MrsF. Forget the advisor they just want to make fat off of you.....

We came out here as visitors with 6mth returning flights.....2 weeks later i got a job through a recruitment agency, they also were "HAPPY to HELP" with immigrations stuff......i said i was going to apply for work visa etc myself....he told me i would never get a work permit unless i used him.....2 days later filled out forms with employer, took to NZIS in CHCH with money & bobs your uncle....got work visa & 3 student visas & an open work visa for hubby.....

Whilst i was at NZIS i asked if we could apply for residency based on the job offer etc....he said no prob.....2 months later after applying we were granted Permenant Residency.....

So don't listen to the agent....get out here & do it yourself!

Old May 9th 2013, 1:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by tiger mama

I emailed the migration adviser this morning to tell him our position on his advice and he has responded saying he understands and is happy to work with us nevertheless.
That's big of him. He wants your $$$$$