British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Feeling despondent, can anyone cheer us up? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/feeling-despondent-can-anyone-cheer-us-up-738384/)

moonie2011 Nov 9th 2011 2:46 pm

Feeling despondent, can anyone cheer us up?

Has anyone not had enough points and got into NZ by applying for and getting a Job? We have been applying for NUMEROUS jobs for over 9mths (I know others have tried for longer) and all we get is either no reply or thanks but no thanks.(We are both Police Officers and are applying for both Govt and private sector jobs)

We are constantly looking at trademe jobs and NZ Govt website, friends in NZ are also trying to help us.
We are beginning to feel that without qualifications and being offered a job in the first place, that there is very little hope, which is getting us down.

We are certain that this is the right decision for our family but are stuck!!

Robbo25 Nov 9th 2011 3:52 pm

Re: Feeling despondent, can anyone cheer us up?

The only thing that I could suggest is looking through the following: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...loyersList.htm

First try to make contact from abroad, but you may well need to take a trip to NZ to gain an initial interview and then others can be done via vc, Skype or over the phone. If you get an offer with one of these bad boys you will get your visa issued within a week in my experience as long as everything else is straight forward.

Are NZ Police no longer recruiting from overseas?

moonie2011 Nov 9th 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks Robbo, we have done all that and you either have to be resident or no vacancies
The police are not internationally recruiting at the moment

Sigh, just have to keep trying and hoping!

barnsleymat Nov 9th 2011 6:58 pm

I was in a very similar position applying for anything and everything that came up and getting no where.

Here's how I managed to eventually do it:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722224

Kiteboy Nov 10th 2011 4:10 am

Originally Posted by moonie2011 (Post 9722839)
Has anyone not had enough points and got into NZ by applying for and getting a Job? We have been applying for NUMEROUS jobs for over 9mths (I know others have tried for longer) and all we get is either no reply or thanks but no thanks.(We are both Police Officers and are applying for both Govt and private sector jobs)

We are constantly looking at trademe jobs and NZ Govt website, friends in NZ are also trying to help us.
We are beginning to feel that without qualifications and being offered a job in the first place, that there is very little hope, which is getting us down.

Have you emailed NZ Police directly?
I was a cop in the UK but didn't have enough time in the job to get on the international conversion courses when they were still running. Instead i did it the hard way.

NZ police told me that they could complete the initial recruitment process in 1 month if i was prepared to come to Auckland for that long.

I came out in 2009 and passed all the tests. Unfortunately i injured myself not long after returning home and delayed the continuation of the process by 1 year. NZ police were happy to wait though.

Finally once i was fully fit they offered me a job on the understanding that I had to have permanent residency before taking up the offer. They also were not prepared to take into consideration my UK service which would mean i would have to start from scratch and go back to training college.
Without the job offer i didn't have enough points to qualify either.

I applied to NZ Immigration and 2 months later I had residency.
I arrived in Auckland almost 1 year ago. They wanted me in the country 2 months before my training wing started, which would allow me to re-do the fitness tests.

At the end of feb I started a 5 month course at Porirua in Wellington with the other fresh kiwi recruits. I was the only ex cop on the course and the only Brit that had literally come straight from the UK.

I completed the course in July and am now working in the Wild west of Auckland. I appreciate that some people depending on their length of service in the UK would not want to start from scratch and go back to training college. I was very determined to come here and I'd only spent 4.5 years in the police at home so it didn't bother me too much.

I met some ex UK cops on the training wings below me with up to 25 years of experience in the UK police, including a Sergeant that was in the same position as me. There are LOTS of ex UK cops in the NZ Police that came here when they ran the conversion courses.

I would double check with NZ Police and ask about the process that I did.

Catchafire Nov 10th 2011 4:16 am

Have you looked at coming over, applying for a job, then a work permit, which in turn should lead to enough points for residency in two years?

Thats what we did, but the job market was a bit more upbeat then.

Babykayleigh Nov 20th 2011 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by moonie2011 (Post 9722839)

I know exactly how you feel as we applied over 9 years ago for NZ and didn't get into NZ for failer to get the points required to enter the country... We went through an agencies no visa no fee option and eventually got an OZ visa as the 2 countries NZ and OZ have an agreement between them both if you have a visa for OZ you can work in NZ and vice versa.... http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/17nz.htm

We got our OZ Visa and flew into Adelaide they said welcome to your new life in OZ, we walked through Emigration saying thank you and hopped on the planned flight out of OZ to Wellington NZ and have been here ever since... Hubby had a permanent residency and so did we all but he had to enter the country first as in he was infront of us in the queue, his was stamped and so was ours... We discussed this last night that it took him about 6-8 weeks to get a job but he did contract chicken pox and rendered him out of action for at least 3 weeks.... However he did get himself a good job, only problem out here it's all word of mouth in some areas and you're new to NZ and have no employment history this shouldn't put you off getting a job cause if you're a brit the kiwis know you're going to be hardworking and not lazy so it might take a little longer than you might think but it is possible to find a job here... Seriously look at the areas you're interested in to look for work... My little sis came over last year and is a Dr, but had given that up as she became a mother, moved over here with her Kiwi hubby and he was working over here, a few months ago he was laid off and is now a stay at home dad whilst she has gone to work as a Dr, good wage and go hours for her.... Good luck and I hope this helps, you never know, but if you're not aware of your options getting a visa for OZ might be easier to get and then you CAN get into NZ that way... Let me know if I can be of any further help....