Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feel embarrassed now - but I'm not a troll!!!

Feel embarrassed now - but I'm not a troll!!!

Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough
Default Feel embarrassed now - but I'm not a troll!!!

I don't suppose there is any way to prove I'm not a troll, and I'm sorry it looks like that

I regularly post on the Lush UK forum, and have recently signed up for the Lush NZ forum, and I admit, I feel miffed that you jumped to that conclusion! However, let me set the record straight. Hubby and I (along with young child and 6 cats!!!) are researching a move to NZ. It's something we've muttered about for ages, but we are determined to jump in and do something about it, and once I decide to do something, well I try to do it as thoroughly as possible. I work in Project Mgt, as a contractor (been contracting successfully for 6 years), and detailed planning is what I do. I've read lots of posts, tried to answer as many questions as I could myself, and decided to take the plunge and ask the rest. The posts I had read made you all look like nice friendly people, so perhaps I've just started on the wrong foot???

Some of the questions seem dumb to you, but the dumb questions are the ones that are hardest to get answers to, and the ones that people don't usually like asking. I'd rather ask and be embarrassed, than not know, but that's just me

I've read loads so far, on the web, books, and have so much conflicting advice that it seemed easiest to go to folks like yourselves - who have already made the move and are living the life. There is so much to find out, to try and make the transition easier. I know it's going to be hard, I'm just trying to soften the edges a bit.

As for making out a huge list of questions, rather than lots of little posts, well it just seems easier from my perspective. I don't get long to access the internet, normally just an hour or so in the evening, and this is why I send a lot of posts in one go.

Thank you to the people who have taken me seriously - I appreciate it.

By the way, I found out the answer to Q44 today. I knew I'd read or heard somewhere about NZ being prone to earthquakes, and the prospect of a quake is something that frankly does not appeal - one good thing about the UK I suppose. I've read that Wellington is right on a fault line, and theoretically at risk, at any time. Thankfully, we are looking to move to Christchurch, as I prefer the idea of S.Island.

Hope to talk to you soon,
JaneAS
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feel embarrassed now - but I'm not a troll!!!

Originally Posted by JaneAS
I don't suppose there is any way to prove I'm not a troll, and I'm sorry it looks like that

I regularly post on the Lush UK forum, and have recently signed up for the Lush NZ forum, and I admit, I feel miffed that you jumped to that conclusion! However, let me set the record straight. Hubby and I (along with young child and 6 cats!!!) are researching a move to NZ. It's something we've muttered about for ages, but we are determined to jump in and do something about it, and once I decide to do something, well I try to do it as thoroughly as possible. I work in Project Mgt, as a contractor (been contracting successfully for 6 years), and detailed planning is what I do. I've read lots of posts, tried to answer as many questions as I could myself, and decided to take the plunge and ask the rest. The posts I had read made you all look like nice friendly people, so perhaps I've just started on the wrong foot???

Some of the questions seem dumb to you, but the dumb questions are the ones that are hardest to get answers to, and the ones that people don't usually like asking. I'd rather ask and be embarrassed, than not know, but that's just me

I've read loads so far, on the web, books, and have so much conflicting advice that it seemed easiest to go to folks like yourselves - who have already made the move and are living the life. There is so much to find out, to try and make the transition easier. I know it's going to be hard, I'm just trying to soften the edges a bit.

As for making out a huge list of questions, rather than lots of little posts, well it just seems easier from my perspective. I don't get long to access the internet, normally just an hour or so in the evening, and this is why I send a lot of posts in one go.

Thank you to the people who have taken me seriously - I appreciate it.

By the way, I found out the answer to Q44 today. I knew I'd read or heard somewhere about NZ being prone to earthquakes, and the prospect of a quake is something that frankly does not appeal - one good thing about the UK I suppose. I've read that Wellington is right on a fault line, and theoretically at risk, at any time. Thankfully, we are looking to move to Christchurch, as I prefer the idea of S.Island.

JaneAS

Ok Jane,
glad you are not a troll, hope you got my sites to look at jobs. My hub contracted for years in Wellington, still a vibrant IT market. Have a look at make your choice.
End of the day it works for some and not for others, sometimes their fault by not doing the research often not their fault just by unfortunate circumstances. If you are moving country you have to throw yourself into it and make the effort, friends need to be made and believe me it is you that has too make all the effort, most people have all the friends they need. For the first year in the UK I hated it until I realised that I had to make the effort. Now I have some lovely friends who I will miss a lot, although my best friend is an Aussie, I guess it's shared experiences.
KAZ
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Kaz, yes I've bookmarked the 2 sites you posted.

In the UK, I've found my contracts through either repeat business (i.e. going back to a happy client for another piece of work), or via one of the job pages (www.jobserve.com). I know through my own experience, that there are masses of job sites, but some are far better and more used than others. By simply using Google, I am getting swamped with info, which is why I thought to ask specific questions, in the hope of getting some decent - in the know - answers....

At the moment, the UK contract market is just starting to pick up again after a bit of a lull. Has it been stable in NZ? I have built a good career in contracting, which is why it's my preference, but if the market is not good, it might be the time to go permie.

Ta!
JaneAS
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kaz, yes I've bookmarked the 2 sites you posted.

In the UK, I've found my contracts through either repeat business (i.e. going back to a happy client for another piece of work), or via one of the job pages (www.jobserve.com). I know through my own experience, that there are masses of job sites, but some are far better and more used than others. By simply using Google, I am getting swamped with info, which is why I thought to ask specific questions, in the hope of getting some decent - in the know - answers....

At the moment, the UK contract market is just starting to pick up again after a bit of a lull. Has it been stable in NZ? I have built a good career in contracting, which is why it's my preference, but if the market is not good, it might be the time to go permie.

Ta!
JaneAS

Just had friends moved back from Boston (us) to Wellington contracting for Bank of NZ who are recruiting hard. Can't remember the main site but will check for you and get back to you.
KAZ
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

That's cool, thanks Kaz,

Jane
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

JaneAS

Thank goodness you found the answer !!! I haven't had such a good laugh reading the questions you posted for ages

I had this vision that you thought we were all half naked natives living in mud huts {do you have milk deliveries etc Ha Ha}.

If you're not a troll then welcome.

One thing be aware of, all of us here have had quite different experiences of NZ so you will still have equally conflicting advice from the folk already here.

Gill.....STILL LAUGHING !!!!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hey, if I made someone smile then it wasn't such a bad day...
I guess if you ask the same question to 5 people, you stand a good chance of always getting a different answer (or no answer at all!), but it's a good way to gain information.

By the way, someone posted about the electric supply not having fuses, What's all that about?

Jane
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey, if I made someone smile then it wasn't such a bad day...
I guess if you ask the same question to 5 people, you stand a good chance of always getting a different answer (or no answer at all!), but it's a good way to gain information.

By the way, someone posted about the electric supply not having fuses, What's all that about?

Jane
Hey don't know why, but we don't. I was surprised when we came here to the UK and things fussed I didn't know what to do. Any Electrical people on line pls explain.
KAZ