Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feedback on a Senior Engineering position

Feedback on a Senior Engineering position

Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

scuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant future
Default Feedback on a Senior Engineering position

Hi all,

First I'd like to say I've been an avid reader on this forum for a couple of weeks now and I must say it is a great resource. So, hats off to the people running the show here and those who share their experiences.

I just thought I'd poke my nose in here to see if my expectations of a salary package are realistic for a person with my profile.

Here are the basics:

- I am a single, young professional. I've been studying/working in Canada for close to a decade.

- I have Bachelor's (Instrumentation, India) and Master's (Electrical, Canada) degree in engineering.

- 7+ years of work experience in design and consulting in the power, oil & gas and pulp/paper sectors in Canada.

- About 3 years of project management experience.

I applied for a position as Lead Engineer, and have landed an interview with a firm in NZ. After initial correspondence, the compensation package is:

- $90,000 pa (NZD)
- Income protection
- Life insurance
- Long service leave
- An annual self-funded leave option
- Discounted medical scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- An employee assistance program
- Superannuation
- Free annual flu shots and health checks

Does this sound fair/high/low for my profile? Will I be able to lead comfortable life in either Auckland or Wellington (from the little I've read about the two cities, I think I'd prefer Wellington)? I know thats difficult to answer given that 'a comfortable life' is a relative phrase. So, here is what I mean:

- a 1 or 2 bedroom apt in a nice part of town close to amenities and nightlife
- a nice car
- go out for lunch/dinner/brunch maybe 2-3 times a week at a mid level restaurant.
- maybe go to a club for drinks etc once every two weeks
- a great internet and cable connection
- save maybe $500-$750 per month

Sorry for the long post!!

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:00 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feedback on a Senior Engineering position

Maybe depends how much cash you bring with you towards the car and apartment (if you buy), but even with renting as you are single you'll have a ball on that salary
Old Nov 6th 2011, 6:48 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Renting 1-2 bed apartment in central Wellington = $250-$300 per week.
2005 Toyota Camry = $10,000-$12,000
Restaurant Meals = $40 a pop
It should be a piece of cake for you on that salary. You should be able to save at least $20,000 per year, I reckon. How your package compares to others of similar experience, I don't know though.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:45 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Or ... you could live more in luxury :
Renting 1-2 bed apartment in central Wellington = $350-$450 per week.
2009 Toyota Camry = $18,000-$22,000
Restaurant Meals = $70 a pop

In which case you might not save much money, but you'll have a jolly good time anyway.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:58 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Feedback on a Senior Engineering position

You should be OK on that. It’s hard to tell without specific details but it sounds like you might be able to hang out for more moolah.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

scuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Charismatic
You should be OK on that. It’s hard to tell without specific details but it sounds like you might be able to hang out for more moolah.
Thanks for the replies guys!

I had a feeling the salary would suffice for the kind of lifestyle I described, but wanted to make sure. How do the rents in Auckland compare to Wellington? $100-$150 more per week?

Charismatic - Are you part of the engineering industry? If so, I could give you more details in a pm.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

That's a fair salary in my view (I run a large engineering facility). What company is it? PM if you wish.

Jan
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:53 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

For a first role in a company in NZ, seems about right to me. You might get more, but my thinking would be that it is unlikely until people confirm you can do what you say you can.

Depends on how much you want to move over here, but i would get the job, and then, once you are settled, have a look around.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:32 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
For a first role in a company in NZ, seems about right to me. You might get more, but my thinking would be that it is unlikely until people confirm you can do what you say you can.

Depends on how much you want to move over here, but i would get the job, and then, once you are settled, have a look around.
sound advice. don't expect to be paid your worth or even the market value in the first post as "NZ Experience" is valuable. Once you get that then you can negotiate, or as I've done name your price. Not a real engineer though - gave that up in the mid-80s.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lardyl
sound advice. don't expect to be paid your worth or even the market value in the first post as "NZ Experience" is valuable. Once you get that then you can negotiate, or as I've done name your price. Not a real engineer though - gave that up in the mid-80s.
Thanks!

Moving to New Zealand is just an intriguing option that I am considering. A lot will depend on the concrete offer that is ultimately put on the table by my employer. I understand that NZ experience is important, but I'm hoping the number stated above is met because I don't think I would be tempted to move for anything lower.