Featherston.

Old Jul 30th 2010, 12:36 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Featherston.

I agree with Mgee - however a couple of collegues do commute from Greytown and even Masterton everyday by train and say it's fine. Although the line was closed by landslips earlier this year they are improving the running stock and line so the delays they have had on both lines will be a lot less.

Again they are imporving the line and service to Waikanae so commuting from there would be better.

Remember a lot of Kiwi's HATE commuting the sort of distances /times Brits would laugh at.

I agree about that hill though...honestly if I drove it every day and in the bad weather....well I'd end up driving off it...and that's a BIG drop!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I could NOT do that drive daily over the mountain...it's horrendous....however the train might be ok. Personally I'd prefer almost anywhere on the Kapiti coast over Wairapa. (Bear in mind I used to do a long train commute in UK so my tolerance is high for trains).

Petone might be an option for cheaper houses if Lower and Upper Hutt are out...Upper Hutt is generally cheaper than Lower I think.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I could NOT do that drive daily over the mountain...it's horrendous....however the train might be ok. Personally I'd prefer almost anywhere on the Kapiti coast over Wairapa. (Bear in mind I used to do a long train commute in UK so my tolerance is high for trains).

Petone might be an option for cheaper houses if Lower and Upper Hutt are out...Upper Hutt is generally cheaper than Lower I think.
Petone is quite expensive.

If you're looking for somewhere cheaper but close to Wellington/Hutt, you could consider Wainuiomata. Not always the nicest area, but has some good houses, and decent sized sections.

I'd second the view that renting here for a year or so is best - spend some time deciding just where you want to live.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all

Thanks for all your replies. I started off looking to move to Wellington without much idea where to go and now I am a lot more focused.
Renting for 6 months or so is a good idea but Im not really wanting the stress of renting out our house here during that time, so we will just have to hope that house prices dont start jumping up during our rent period.
Looking at what everybody has said Featherston still keeps coming back to me as the place to be, it all depends on what hours I will be working as I agree driving over the hill isnt a very atractive idea!
Anyway, I havent got the job yet, I passed the medical, drugs test and the references were good so I thought that that was that but no.....I had to do a personality test on line (170 questions) so now I will have to wait and see.
Oh the strss of it all!