Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Fatal Shark Attack at Muriwai Beach, Auckland

Fatal Shark Attack at Muriwai Beach, Auckland

Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:58 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fatal Shark Attack at Muriwai Beach, Auckland

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8359...ills-beachgoer

The 14th known shark fatality since records began.

Terrible for everyone involved.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:17 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Fatal Shark Attack at Muriwai Beach, Auckland

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Terrible for everyone involved.
Exactly...except the shark of course who had a whale of a time.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:37 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fatal Shark Attack at Muriwai Beach, Auckland

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Exactly...except the shark of course who had a whale of a time.
Until it was shot to death by the police.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Until it was shot to death by the police.
Not too sure why you would kill a shark that is doing something natural. Not sure its like dogs, once they attack humans they apparently get a taste for it, sharks are not like that IMO, they are always going to be hugely dangerous. If we chose to play in their domain we have to take that risk.

No, don't agree with killing sharks in cases like this. Have heard victim's families of shark attacks say the same. Unless of course it can be proved that you have a 'rogue shark'.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:06 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

There was a news report on tele here recently about a shark attacking a small boat. The bloke in the boat flimed it on his mobile phone.

The film was shown on the tele. The shark had a nose about, as they do, and then went apeshit, as they do.

The commentary went, ".........and then the shark became aggressive."

Hmmm.........they tend to bit a bit aggressive don't they? They have great big pointy teeth with which to bite things in half.

The water is their territory.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Genesis
Not too sure why you would kill a shark that is doing something natural. Not sure its like dogs, once they attack humans they apparently get a taste for it, sharks are not like that IMO, they are always going to be hugely dangerous. If we chose to play in their domain we have to take that risk.

No, don't agree with killing sharks in cases like this. Have heard victim's families of shark attacks say the same. Unless of course it can be proved that you have a 'rogue shark'.
I agree, sharks are only acting on instinct. But I guess the powers that be have to seen to be doing something.

How do they know they even have the right shark?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, sharks are only acting on instinct. But I guess the powers that be have to seen to be doing something.

Well, also the fact that our waters need to be seen to be safe to swim in. If that were not the case, our coastal economies would be severely affected.

They know because the IRBs had it in their sites until the police helicopter came in and fired 12 rounds into it.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I put my hands up. They shot it apparently when it would not let go of the victim...fair enough I say in that case eh?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:22 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I put my hands up. They shot it apparently when it would not let go of the victim...fair enough I say in that case eh?
No, I agree with your first assessment, why would we expect the shark to let go? Sudden attack of conscience?

They are an apex predator and can/will eat pretty much whatever fits their description of food. We always go into the water into their environment and while these cases are tragic, it isn't the shark's "fault".
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

First. Every sympathy tothis man's family & to the dreadful way he lost his life..

Some reports seem to indicate this was a great white. If so, this is a protected endangered species is it not.

I thought I had read that it is the shape of a surf board can lure a shark to think it has found food , not the proximity of a person..unless there is blood.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
First. Every sympathy tothis man's family & to the dreadful way he lost his life..

Some reports seem to indicate this was a great white. If so, this is a protected endangered species is it not.

I thought I had read that it is the shape of a surf board can lure a shark to think it has found food , not the proximity of a person..unless there is blood.
I heard it was a Mako?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:21 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Surfboards and people swimming from below both look vaguely like seals to sharks I understand....plenty of footage on Discovery channel indicates they regularly attack likely food first, work out whether it is afterwards.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

This was the first thing I heard on the radio this morning (in the UK).

Very sad.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey! Muriwai was our local beach for ages. So sad for the family. And the community. I certainly won't take my 4 year old there again in a hurry.
Genesis - for the first time, I partially agree with you.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, a shark attack is as likely (or unlikely?) to happen again at Muriwai as it is anywhere else in NZ.

Having said that, this story has put the brakes on me getting a wet suit any time soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.