FAT NZ

Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default FAT NZ

It is official. We are the 3rd fattest country on earth. Only the US and Mexico are fatter than us. Obesity causes a HUGE drain on the health service because it causes manifold medical issues for the fat person. Diabetes, joint issues, cardio. problems et al.

Add to which our primary health care is shite and you have a recipe for disaster. Some people believe takeaway food outlets target the poor (who apparently frequent these establishments en masse) by carefully chosing to place their eateries within the locale of those lower decile folk.

I have only been the KFC once in 7 years of being in NZ at the behest of Felix who 'needed' to have some. It was really greasy shite. KFC shold be intials for 'Kentucky Fatty Crap'

I guess lots of people 'think' they need KFC hence the parlous situation we find ourselves in.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:21 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FAT NZ

Do you have a link?

It's not very obvious here in Marlborough, but when I travel to major urban centers I am amazed how much people must consume to maintain certain body shapes.

I agree lower income groups are much more effected, I believe this is down to choice (can't be arsed to cook), alcohol consumption and certain cultural influences like Hangi and eating corned beef (a staple food for Pacific islanders these days).

How do you educate people, who really don't give a crap?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:36 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

You only have to go in pack n save to see the states of some people and what they pile in the trolly.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Maybe that's why they look so FAT.......

Sorry thought I read dont have a crap...
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:01 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Fatter than the UK??

Really?????

Might be different in other areas but in Christchurch it's rare to see fat people. With so many people round Hagley Park etc playing rugby, running or people out for a walk etc - this has surprised me.

Even the food mall section areas aren't that busy although the McDonalds queue always has the longest one. Then again you cannot beat their spicy chicken burger or in my opinion their mild chicken burger.

When you notice the prices of food, no wonder people decide to pay $7.99 for a supersize McChicken Sandwich than spend that amount on getting a decent chunk of lamb.

Plus I see more people outside in New Zealand where as in the UK, they're probably too busy playing their playstation 3 whilst getting through 10 packets of crisps, and then going down the American route suing Walkers crisps/The Conservatives/McDonalds/David Cameron/Burger King etc for making them fat - and having the do goody lefty morons on their side
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

There's some BIG units out in West Auckland, usually Islanders. Seriously big some of em, being from a anti salad town like Barnsley I'm used to seeing poor fatties but I've got to admit the islanders put them to shame.

Doesn't surprise me, it's $5 for Fish n Chips, Pizza Hut virtually give pizza's away and the bakeries are super cheap. For the same price you could get one rotten tomoto at Pak n Sh1te.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:19 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

More than 1.6 billion people in the world are either overweight or obese, according to a recent study by the World Health Organization. Here’s a look at the countries with the highest percent of overweight adults (people age 15 and over). People are considered overweight if their body mass index (BMI) is 25 or higher and obese with a BMI or 30 or higher.

Rank Country % Overweight or obese
1. Nauru 94.5
2. Federated States of Micronesia 91.1
3. Cook Islands 90.9
4. Tonga 90.8
5. Niue 81.7
6. Samoa 80.4
7. Palau 78.4
8. Kuwait 74.2
9. United States 74.1
10. Kiribati 73.6
11. Dominica 71.0
12. Barbados 69.7
13. Argentina 69.4
14. Egypt 69.4
15. Malta 68.7
16. Greece 68.5
17. New Zealand 68.4
18. United Arab Emirates 68.3
19. Mexico 68.1
20. Trinidad and Tobago 67.9
Source: World Health Organization.

2007 stats from the WHO.

Where are you getting your info from Genesis?

Interesting to note the high proportion of Pacific Island nations at the top.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:19 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

When we follow the dietary guidelines of the US it's hardly surprising.

I found it interesting that the latest statistics showed the NZers are eating fewer calories but are heavier in the last 10 years.

People are getting fatter but receiving fewer nutrients - interesting stuff

http://www.sciencemediacentre.co.nz/...perts-respond/
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Do you have a link?

It's not very obvious here in Marlborough, but when I travel to major urban centers I am amazed how much people must consume to maintain certain body shapes.

I agree lower income groups are much more effected, I believe this is down to choice (can't be arsed to cook), alcohol consumption and certain cultural influences like Hangi and eating corned beef (a staple food for Pacific islanders these days).

Sorry, no link. Heard it on the radio, I was REALLY shocked. And indeed, how do you educate people who couldn't give a shit? And I am one of those who totally disagree with that Palmy Professor on the TV last week who says 'leave us overweight people alone'. I think (unless you have some kind of medical problem..and greed is greed, nought to do with a medical issue) it is shameful for anyone to be so overweight as she is. She reckons fat can be fit. I beg to differ. Morbidly obese IS BAD. It costs me and the rest of us money. Too many people are fat because they eat WAY too much and they are TOO lazy to excercise. I may well be 'fatist', but I look at people like this and ask 'where is your self respect?'. Maybe if it did not cost the public purse so dearly I would be cooler about fat. But it does and I am not.

And yes there are times when I have been a wee bit overweight by 3kgs or so...BUT I always get onto it, even at 53. Could not face being fat. Horrid affliction in my view.

Last edited by Genesis; Feb 24th 2012 at 2:52 am.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Genesis
Sorry, no link. Heard it on the radio, I was REALLY shocked. And indeed, how do you educate people who couldn't give a shit? And I am one of those who totally disagree with that Palmy Professor on the TV last week who says 'leave us overweight people alone'. I think (unless you have some kind of medical problem..and greed is greed, nought to do with a medical issue) it is shameful for anyone to be so overweight as she is. She reckons fat can be fit. I beg to differ. Morbidly obese IS BAD. It costs me and the rest of us money. Too many people are fat because they eat WAY too much and they are TOO lazy to excercise. I may well be 'fatist', but I look at people like this and ask 'where is your self respect?'. Maybe if it did not cost the public purse so dearly I would be cooler about fat. But it does and I am not.
Just googled 'Nz 3rd fattest'...appparently it is an OECD report. Do that google and there are loads of this week's reports for you to peruse Catchafire.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of Rugby nations there and very few football nations. Maybe proving Rugby has always been a sport for those fat kids that can't play football.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
There's a lot of Rugby nations there and very few football nations. Maybe proving Rugby has always been a sport for those fat kids that can't play football.
That is how it was when I was school

I work with loads of Islanders every year & they do love their Burger & Chips every day from the canteen, 6 days a week!!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:36 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I have put weight on since arriving, In UK was on a low fat diet now I'm just finding it hard to find any foods that are low in fat.
When my car arrives and I don't have to drag the kids around perhaps I will be able to spend longer and read more. Here's hoping
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

OMG they is like havin a bleedin larf and everyfink. They is like sayin' like doughnuts and pies make you fat and everyfink. Who knew?

Gotta wonder how long it took them to come up with the list.

Otago University researchers developed the list of 49 "Needn't" foods, published in today's New Zealand Medical Journal, as part of a treatment research programme for obesity.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=10787548
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
And when you consider how few nations play rugby, it merely re-inforces the point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.