Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Farley's rusks for babies - more rare than gold dust!

Farley's rusks for babies - more rare than gold dust!

Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:58 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Farley's rusks for babies - more rare than gold dust!

Aren't they loaded with sugar though? I used to give my kids fingers of toast and carrot sticks to munch on.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Well, rusks date back to times when the sorts of additives in them now wouldn't have existed and most babies would have benefited from the extra calories. Also, they are probably a lot sweeter than 'back in the day'. My Gran used to give them to us- they were LUSH! But you wouldn't give a baby a jammie dodger and I don't think there's much difference! Anyways, up to the OP and the English shop here seems to do a roaring trade so plenty of expat babes must be gumming down on them
HaHa. I think the husband would still be gumming them down him , given the chance.

TBH Plenty of the husband's family give their babes and kids sweets and biscuits and 'pop'
They also but the takeaway curry and stuff.

Not my thing , but hey, I knww not much different and by the time I got to find out none of it appealed at all. Yuk !

What does 'Lush' mean?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

OOohh I have just looked on the web page- & they are doing Jelly Tots in the special christmas tubes - we got some last year & my 17 yr old hid his ! I will be more prepared this year & get my own.
Not missed any food from UK really but Jelly Tots ..mmmmmmmm & a good indian - not togeher though
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:01 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
What does 'Lush' mean?
Ah ha, I'm from Somerset see where it's gert lush.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton1
Not missed any food from UK really but Jelly Tots ..mmmmmmmm & a good indian - not togeher though
I am rarely tempted but did stand and ogle the tins of Quality Street and Roses that New World have got in for Christmas. Until alarm bells started ringing and I saw the price tag at $58 per tin. They're five quid in Tescos at the moment.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

My daughter loved the porridge by Heinz. Porridge with yoghurt and berries. When we came back could not find it anywhere and so my MIL sends me over three packets every so often.

She see them and her eyes light up.

Did try all the packets cereal over here but she never liked it.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:32 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Is that a relatively new thing ? I know we were given rusks as babes and kids for that matter but none of us have a sweet tooth at all, nor have any of us ever had major probs with our teeth.
Unlike husbands family who were given 'pop', crisps, jelly etc as kids and all have had major tooth rot. These things are something we were never given.

Thinking about this. Perhaps it is about moderation and general diet.
I don't know. I'd never heard of rusks until I came to England (I'm kiwi born and raised) so I'm guessing they are not eaten in NZ generally. In most cultures babies are weaned onto adult food and it is not necessary to get special baby food. I'm guessing in Britain it was different, maybe due to war time rationing. Would be interesting to know if this is the case.

I was reading that in traditional cultures the mother would pre-masticate adult food to give the baby when it was ready to wean, but of course breast feeding often went on well up to two years and sometimes beyond. Not sure either of those options would be popular today!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:37 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

ps

Just did a quick Google and found this but I can't guarantee the source:

Farley's were founded in the 1850s as a baker shop in Plymouth. In 1880 Dr W P Eales was concerned with the health of working class children. He asked Edwin Farley to make a biscuit rusk that would be nutritious and affordable for low-income families.
I think the nutrition value of a rusk is questionable by today's standards, but no doubt there was a need for them back then.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keeny
My baby girl is just starting on solids now, and we really wanted to get her some rusks.... never envisaged this being a problem, til we trawled every supermarket & baby shop in Hamilton, NO WHERE to be found! All we could find were those teething rusks which are only designed for them to suck on & not mashed up with some milk like proper rusks.

Til a friend took me to a little lotto shop in Cambridge today that sells a small variety of english goodies like Walkers crisps, Yorkshire Tea (sooo tempted to buy some) Daddies brown sauce, McVities Chocolate Hob-nobs oooooooo..... quite a lot of stuff really. and Low and Behold - Heinz / Farley's rusks!!! WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cant believe it, the supermarkets cant get them, but a little lottery shop can! But, a tad expensive, $16. Bearing in mind they'd probably cost less than £2 or £3 back in UK. Oh well, I gave in & bought some, got to let my beautiful girl have some
Hi,

www.bramptins.co.nz do have farleys rusks in stock. I think they were also around $10. They had loads of different flavours. They are in Auckland so you would need to check about delivery. The englishcornershop is much cheaper for normal UK items.

Carole
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

Wow so many new posts on such an old topic! My DD is well over rusks now. I do still have some left and she will occasionally eat half of one but on the whole she is not that fussed anymore.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:18 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I doubt any of us realised it was an old thread- it looks like it got bumped when it was spammed.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Ah, I doubt any of us realised it was an old thread- it looks like it got bumped when it was spammed.
spammed? Not that I mind, I had just forgotten all about this post