Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Fancy a job mate......

Fancy a job mate......

Old May 26th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Fancy a job mate......

What a refreshing place this country can be............

Having done a few jobs in the past 20 years I've luckily had the chance since deciding to move to New Zealand to take a year or so off work and look after our kids while we settle in a new country.

A few months back i got talking to a guy i know at a motorsport event who works for the NZ part of a multinational. Having told him that i would look for a job before to long he suggested that i talk to them. The same guy had seen me deal with a few people in an instructional motorsport enviroment and thought my people skills and willingness to adapt may be applicable to them.

Well, the refreshing part of this story is........ despite no experience in the field, the company concerned saw me a person they could utilise and offered me a job which i began today. In the UK despite having a broad CV there's no way in my opinion that i would have got the job purely because there its CV and experience biased.

So tonight as i type, my head is spinning with completely new stuff and i have 3 months of hard work to learn my job in a new field, but boy am i pleased to be here in New Zealand.
Old May 26th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fancy a job mate......

Originally Posted by teambwr47
What a refreshing place this country can be............

Having done a few jobs in the past 20 years I've luckily had the chance since deciding to move to New Zealand to take a year or so off work and look after our kids while we settle in a new country.

A few months back i got talking to a guy i know at a motorsport event who works for the NZ part of a multinational. Having told him that i would look for a job before to long he suggested that i talk to them. The same guy had seen me deal with a few people in an instructional motorsport enviroment and thought my people skills and willingness to adapt may be applicable to them.

Well, the refreshing part of this story is........ despite no experience in the field, the company concerned saw me a person they could utilise and offered me a job which i began today. In the UK despite having a broad CV there's no way in my opinion that i would have got the job purely because there its CV and experience biased.

So tonight as i type, my head is spinning with completely new stuff and i have 3 months of hard work to learn my job in a new field, but boy am i pleased to be here in New Zealand.
so very nice to hear that things are working out for you. Good luck with the new job- I love motorsport, is it quite a big thing in NZ? Have never been able to afford to go and watch any here. Hopefully when we get over there we might be able to go to a few races.!!
Chris
Old May 26th 2008, 9:28 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the new job
That sounds so exciting and as you said it's refreshing to be offered a job based on you being you. That in itself must be a great confidence boost!

I don't know how big motorsport is in NZ but Mr Sue often talks about going off to see various events, might see you there Chris or Teambwr47!

Sue
Old May 27th 2008, 10:16 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Congratulations, you sound really pleased and so you should be.

Yes you can make a new start in NZ. My eldest son has never had any luck in the UK - laid off from every job he's had which looks bad on a CV, but he now seems to have landed on his feet. Doing a job he never would have considered in UK due to lack of experience and loving it.

Well done, give yourself a pat
Old May 28th 2008, 8:25 am
Just Joined

BaNdy is an unknown quantity at this point

So how are you getting on with the job, what is it?
Sounds great.

I love motorsport myself "valentino rossi" and others, selling my xjr1300 at the moment, done track days and had most bikes really, dont live too far from mallory park - looking forward the GP at donnington (not the traffic tho)
and wouldnt have imagined any motorsport existed in NZ but then what do I know Ive not got over yet.

I have many years of motorcycling and assisted in rider training, I wonder If I could get a nice job out in the sun - ahahhhhh a boy can dream, thanks for your happy story!
Old May 30th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Well the new job couldn't have kicked off any better really.

Phone call to say 'the jobs yours if you want it' at 1830 friday....... followed by an apology and 'by the way can you start Monday mate?

After taking in the shock at the somewhat short notice in terms of arranging extra child care etc i said 'i'll do my best to sort it for monday'.

Great was the reply...... another apology.... then, 'can you come to Christchurch with us for the week?'

MMMMmmmmmm.... can it get any worse in terms of notice i wondered.....?

Then finally...... 'oh by the way, after the first week you'll be doing the job on your own for 3 weeks as the dealer manager is off on 3 weeks holiday......

So the deepest of deep ends and swan dive in...... hopefully i'll manage to surface after next week, the first on my own.

The job is NZ Dealer support Representative for Ricoh NZ working alongside the dealer channel manager.....theres just the two of us taking care of the 14 or so Ricoh Dealers (not main branches) in NZ along with all the Pacific island Ricoh dealers.
Its going to be a chore but Fiji, Tonga, etc, etc are places i'll need to visit now and again....

Anyway back to the week..... talk about a time to good start.... we ran the annual dealer conference at a country resort called Terrace Downs about an hour outside Christchurch. Great chance to meet all my dealers and experience the countryside around the Rakaia Gorge area. Thursday involved jet boating, then fishing in one of the most beautiful settings.... zero wind, cold but cloudless sunny day, just me alone, snow topped mountains in the distance and a stunning river to fish in. First time i'd fished for near 15 years, sadly no fish but an experience to stay with me for ever.

Back to reality and this coming Tuesday i pick up the dealer network responsibility after just one day in our office last monday...

The guy i work for frantically listed some stuff at the airport on friday before he said goodbye and good luck and jetted off to the UK for 3 weeks saying ' if you get through the next three weeks ok mate you've got a job for life'.......

To sum up...... i'm loving the job so far.... got on well with all the guys who are our dealers and look forward, in a personal challenge kind of way to the next few weeks.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teambwr47
Well the new job couldn't have kicked off any better really.

Phone call to say 'the jobs yours if you want it' at 1830 friday....... followed by an apology and 'by the way can you start Monday mate?

After taking in the shock at the somewhat short notice in terms of arranging extra child care etc i said 'i'll do my best to sort it for monday'.

Great was the reply...... another apology.... then, 'can you come to Christchurch with us for the week?'

MMMMmmmmmm.... can it get any worse in terms of notice i wondered.....?

Then finally...... 'oh by the way, after the first week you'll be doing the job on your own for 3 weeks as the dealer manager is off on 3 weeks holiday......

So the deepest of deep ends and swan dive in...... hopefully i'll manage to surface after next week, the first on my own.

The job is NZ Dealer support Representative for Ricoh NZ working alongside the dealer channel manager.....theres just the two of us taking care of the 14 or so Ricoh Dealers (not main branches) in NZ along with all the Pacific island Ricoh dealers.
Its going to be a chore but Fiji, Tonga, etc, etc are places i'll need to visit now and again....

Anyway back to the week..... talk about a time to good start.... we ran the annual dealer conference at a country resort called Terrace Downs about an hour outside Christchurch. Great chance to meet all my dealers and experience the countryside around the Rakaia Gorge area. Thursday involved jet boating, then fishing in one of the most beautiful settings.... zero wind, cold but cloudless sunny day, just me alone, snow topped mountains in the distance and a stunning river to fish in. First time i'd fished for near 15 years, sadly no fish but an experience to stay with me for ever.

Back to reality and this coming Tuesday i pick up the dealer network responsibility after just one day in our office last monday...

The guy i work for frantically listed some stuff at the airport on friday before he said goodbye and good luck and jetted off to the UK for 3 weeks saying ' if you get through the next three weeks ok mate you've got a job for life'.......

To sum up...... i'm loving the job so far.... got on well with all the guys who are our dealers and look forward, in a personal challenge kind of way to the next few weeks.

Good luck!! Well done mate!! Just goes to show for all the downsides re life in NZ there are still fantastic opportunities in this wonderland..well it is for some of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 31st 2008, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

No downsides for us in New Zealand whatsoever.........

Love the country and we're now appreciably better off here in New Zealand than we would be in the UK.

just doesn't do our feelings justice but it'll have to do.