Fancy Dress!

Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fancy Dress!

A bit of a silly observation really, but I'm baffled by the amount of invitations that we seem to get for fancy dress parties . Is it just chance/ coincidence...or have I got a very odd circle of friends . Or is it a common Kiwi thing, any opportunity to dress up is seized upon?

The latest (there has been a recent string of fancy dress events) is my work Christmas do, I picked up the invitation today (nothing like planning ahead!) and, once again, there's a fancy dress code . Personally I'd prefer the opportunity to dress up a bit smart, but no, I'm going to be trying to throw a Rocky Horror themed outfit this time.

Just wondered if this was a common experience.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fancy Dress!

I posted something about this a while back, drives me crazy why people can't seem to go out and be themselves and behave like normal grown up adult people.

We're constantly being asked to hide behind some hideous costume, work functions and the like are always stupid themed things; quite frankly I would rather not bother even going. Besides which, we're not all touched by the creative gene that enables us to transform ourselves into Darth friggin vadar or something from the set of Pride and Prejudice.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:14 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I posted something about this a while back, drives me crazy why people can't seem to go out and be themselves and behave like normal grown up adult people.

We're constantly being asked to hide behind some hideous costume, work functions and the like are always stupid themed things; quite frankly I would rather not bother even going. Besides which, we're not all touched by the creative gene that enables us to transform ourselves into Darth friggin vadar or something from the set of Pride and Prejudice.
Because kiwis don't know how to look nice and dress up! Nearest they get is ball gowns, a bit of style they wouldn't know! I always dress up when out with my English girlfriends and I'm amazed how classy the guys are going out in their shorts and women in jeans and no make up! But then again it is Wanganui! Just back from Wellington the weekend and gotta say completely different nice to see a few smart guys.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

charlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

I know what you mean, but I must admit, I do sometimes get fed up with being a normal, grown up adult person
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

rachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant future

oops! it was only last night i gave away my dressing up box in preparation for the move. I didnt think i'd need it in NZ. Maybe I can get some of it back?!?!?! Ha ha!!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

If you need a costume in a hurry put on a bin liner, stick bits of rubbish to it and wear a dustbin lid on your head. You will stink, but it's quite novel and worked for me as a student when I had not much money.

Any other ideas?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tomsk

Just wondered if this was a common experience.
Yup it is indeed a common experience and one which still makes me giggle when everyone is 'seriously' considering their outfits!!

I would go dressed 'normally' (using that term loosely of course ) and say I am someone with amnesia!.....

I would go dressed 'normally' (using that term loosely of course ) and say I am someone with amnesia!.....

I would...ok, ok, I am sure you get the idea!!! Have fun
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I have a works do this weekend and it has a 'groovy/spacey' theme - I have no idea what to wear!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

My other favourite was to route through charity shops and find the worst 'normal' outfit I could. Then going along to the party with a deadpan expression, feeling very insulted by other peoples comments. Again, a cheap option.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:51 pm

I just wouldnt go at all
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

charlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nice

Originally Posted by love30stm
I just wouldnt go at all
Wot, LOVE30STM refuse a party invite?!! I find this v hard to believe!!!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by charlcote
Wot, LOVE30STM refuse a party invite?!! I find this v hard to believe!!!
Depends!!! I've been to kiwi parties

Lol
Sarcasim
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:32 am

I know what you mean, but I must admit, I do sometimes get fed up with being a normal, grown up adult person
I don't act normal or grown up
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by love30stm
I don't act normal or grown up
Excellent! Must be why I like you!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:44 am

Excellent! Must be why I like you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.