Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

familys with teenagers canterbury

familys with teenagers canterbury

Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:21 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about
Question familys with teenagers canterbury

I would like to ask all who have teenagers and have moved to Canterbury regions ie Waimakariri, if they have anything to do socially and also work wise later on.

Very open question I know.

My teenagers are boys and 16 and 13. One would be giving up his paper round plus his options in 6th form of which Oxford school does not cater for and my other boy his girlfriend.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:13 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of
Default Re: familys with teenagers canterbury

Hi - My children aren't quite at the age of yours, but we do live rurally (in Selwyn) - across the river from you. And I grew up in the NI in the country.

But I will try and answer.

For boys there may be a bit of farm work available - but it may well depend on knowing the farmer.
For girls (or boys) there will be babysitting. We tend to use family - or not go out (can't afford it - and now our fav eateries in Chch have fallen down) But I am always on the look out for a reliable babysitter.
But you will often need to run them back to their homes.

Younger kids often raise some lambs or calves and then sell them on. I did that years ago as well. Or sell pine cones or sheep poo at the gate.

There are no paper rounds unless you live in town. The rural postie delivers it all once a day.
Otherwise if they are able to get into your local village there may well be jobs available at the local shop or garage.

Socially - it depends I guess on what they are interested in.
There is a lot of sports played and games are usually on Sat morn.
Some small towns have an area with ramps for skateboards and I am sure that the local church or whatever will run something. (althhough I say that and ours doesn't - lol).

They will be able to get their license once they are 15 (soon to possibly be raised to 16) and then they can join all other hoons out in the districts and race around in their cars to all hours of the night.

Not much help I am afraid - esp as the Waimak is a large area and so it is hard to pin point just what bit you are looking at.
Kaiapoi is nearer the sea and Oxford nearer the river. Rangiora in the middle.
All are within half an hour (that is a bit of a guess) from Chch. As I said - I am from the district on the other side of the river. And its half an hour for us to the airport.