Family living

Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future
Default Family living

Hi,
We have just gone for it and submitted our EOI, and were wondering if anyone had any suggestions of areas to aim for in NZ. We have 3 children - the oldest is 3 and a half at the moment, and we are looking for an area near a safe sandy beach, with a bit of a small town feel that is reasonably priced. Hubby is in IT, but we will be relying solely on his wage for sometime.

Any suggestions??? I have always liked the sound of Napier region, but have just been told that the beach is shingle and the water is considered unsafe because of strong currents. We can't really afford to make a trip over to check out areas so we are probably just going to go for it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Kathryn
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of
Default Re: Family living

Hi there!
Congratulations and good luck with your EOI! ( Have sent some K)
Can't really help you with regions but like you we were interested in Napier/Hawkes Bay areas. It will be interesting to see what nuggets of info people can give!! Come on you wonderful people, let rip!

Love Cathy.x
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Machlome is an unknown quantity at this point

We submitted EOI on 17.08.2005 but still haven't heard of anything - we like you are unsure where to settle in NZ but may need to go for Nelson/marlborough becuase of jobs in first instance. (have 2 year old)
Gd luck with EOI - we feel a bit insecure at the moment as it's all gone quiet - it would be good to talk toothers going through it.

Charon

We have just gone for it and submitted our EOI, and were wondering if anyone had any suggestions of areas to aim for in NZ. We have 3 children - the oldest is 3 and a half at the moment, and we are looking for an area near a safe sandy beach, with a bit of a small town feel that is reasonably priced. Hubby is in IT, but we will be relying solely on his wage for sometime.

Any suggestions??? I have always liked the sound of Napier region, but have just been told that the beach is shingle and the water is considered unsafe because of strong currents. We can't really afford to make a trip over to check out areas so we are probably just going to go for it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Kathryn[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Panda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kathm
Hi,

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Kathryn
Hi,

I hear the Kapiti coast is nice, it's only 40 minutes from Wellington. From what we've seen the house prices there seem reasonable, although they do seem to be increasing by the day!

http://www.multimap.co.nz/map/browse...ut.x=6&out.y=7
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:36 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Kathryn
Hi Kathryn

We are waiting to hear if our application is successful, we have today sent off for OH qualifications to be assessed. Graham is in IT too (but going with his City & Guilds in Electronics) and we have a 13 & and an 8 year old. We are looking at BOP, possibly Tauranga. There seems to be a fair number of jobs there, but it does seem most IT jobs are in Welly and Auckland. Hamilton has quite a lot of IT jobs too, but it's not near the coast.

Good luck with your application!

Debbie
Old Aug 15th 2005, 6:14 pm

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Kathryn
Napier's main beach is a shingle one but there are other beaches nearby that are sand.

With such young children, for swimming you might also like to consider Ocean Spa which is right on the beach. My granddaughter loves it!

http://www.findus.co.nz/oceanspa/
Old Aug 15th 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Thanks to all who've replied so far - would love to chat to others in similar situatons so pm me if you fancy a chat/whinge etc.

Keep the ideas coming guys - all input appreciated.

Kathryn

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Napier's main beach is a shingle one but there are other beaches nearby that are sand.

With such young children, for swimming you might also like to consider Ocean Spa which is right on the beach. My granddaughter loves it!

http://www.findus.co.nz/oceanspa/
Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:27 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

I can recommend the kapiti coast. Welly is big on IT - plenty of work. Kapiti is anything from 40 mins to hour and a bit away. Beaches are good (not golden sand though more browny at least in winter!) but there is everything you could want here - schools are great - train link to Welly - pleanty of everyday shopping - great scenery - not overpopulated - mixture of town/country dwelling - beaches with no one on them (in winter anyway)

Love it!
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We live in Beachlands, South East Auckland... the beaches near here are pretty nice and theres no big waves.... its great for kiddies. My toddler is 21 months and hes starting to enjoy playing on the beach. There are plans on the cards to expand Beachlands however so maybe check out Maraetai as well.

Sarah
Old Aug 16th 2005, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

chay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Family living

Hi
We are in a similar situation to yourselves with 2 children the youngest is 10 months and the eldest is 3. We have submitted our EOI and if all goes well are hoping to leave for NZ early Feb, we are starting off in Wellington city this is mainly due to the fact that we have 6 months rent free accomodation there thanks to a kind rich uncle who has houses to spare in wellington.
Although we have also never been to NZ but have been told by many people that the Kapiti coast is very nice and in particular Waikanae and Paraparaumu(havent a clue how to prenounce these)I am not sure about the work situation, but am told the transport links to wellington are good.I believe the Kapiti coast ticks all the boxes for you and your family, this is where we will be concentrating our search when we finally get there.
hope this helps keep us posted Kerrie and Chay
Hi,

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Kathryn
Old Aug 16th 2005, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Don't suppose your kind rich uncle feels like taking pity on another young family, does he? Or maybe he owns his own company and can offer hubby a job.

Seriously, though, thanks for the info - let me know how it's all going for you. You never know - our kids could end up playing together a year from now!!!

Kathryn

Originally Posted by chay and kerrie
Hi
We are in a similar situation to yourselves with 2 children the youngest is 10 months and the eldest is 3. We have submitted our EOI and if all goes well are hoping to leave for NZ early Feb, we are starting off in Wellington city this is mainly due to the fact that we have 6 months rent free accomodation there thanks to a kind rich uncle who has houses to spare in wellington.
Although we have also never been to NZ but have been told by many people that the Kapiti coast is very nice and in particular Waikanae and Paraparaumu(havent a clue how to prenounce these)I am not sure about the work situation, but am told the transport links to wellington are good.I believe the Kapiti coast ticks all the boxes for you and your family, this is where we will be concentrating our search when we finally get there.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Kathryn
Id say look at the Kapiti Coast (relatively near Wellington +- 45 mins or an hour) or Orewa (relatively near Auckland, again +- 45 mins or an hour depending on traffic). Tauranga perhaps, but this has become more expensive lately and not sure about IT job prospects.

Most jobs will be in Auckland followed by Wellington.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:22 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Feel free to PM me if you want any info on Kapiti (albeit I've only been here a couple of weeks but have managed to:
Get the kids enrolled at a lovely school
Get Junior booked into the local Kindy
Get a job
Buy a car
Almost buy a house!
etc)
Old Aug 17th 2005, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The pronunciation thing made me smile. When I lived in NZ, no-one bothered to pronounce maori words properly, so Paraparaumu was "para-per-am". Last time I was there, I heard someone refer to it on the radio saying it the proper way, and it took me a while to figure out what they meant. It seems like a really nice place, although the road into wgtn isn't great and I understand that a scheme to radically improve it is probably not going to happen

Originally Posted by chay and kerrie
Hi
Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

salmey is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a walk along the water front at Napier today fab views to cape kidnappers. True that beech is unsafe for swimming. however,if you go around the corner Westshore is a sand beach and safer and the port at ahurri is fab. The best beaches in the area are ocean beach about 10km of golden sand or waimarama a safe swimming beach with lifeguards at hand. napier is certainly an upcoming area with some of the best weather in NZ.