Family

Old Oct 27th 2019, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Family

Well, after nearly 8 years the inevitable has happened.
FIL had a massive stroke 24hrs ago (at home in the UK) just before taking his morning shower.
Pretty much nothing more can be done now apart from making sure he's as comfortable as he can be until his time comes. Mrs is devastated. Doesnt wanna go as shes so scared seeing her Dad at deaths door. She's flying to Manchester tomorrow arvo on the Qatar Auckland - Doha - Manchester route.
Its at times like this when you feel so helpless and useless. Major downside of living 18500kms away. I'm staying in NZ with the kids.
Don't sweat the small stuff guys and gals. Life and happiness is precious. Kia Kaha.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 9:15 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family

sorry to hear this, hopefully your wifes family will be able to give her some solace and I'm sure in the long term she will appreciate the fact she went.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Well, after nearly 8 years the inevitable has happened.
FIL had a massive stroke 24hrs ago (at home in the UK) just before taking his morning shower.
Pretty much nothing more can be done now apart from making sure he's as comfortable as he can be until his time comes. Mrs is devastated. Doesnt wanna go as shes so scared seeing her Dad at deaths door. She's flying to Manchester tomorrow arvo on the Qatar Auckland - Doha - Manchester route.
Its at times like this when you feel so helpless and useless. Major downside of living 18500kms away. I'm staying in NZ with the kids.
Don't sweat the small stuff guys and gals. Life and happiness is precious. Kia Kaha.
It's one of the prices we pay for choosing to live in NZ
Despite best efforts, I missed the passing of my mum, dad and step dad. There was nothing I could do to get there. Despite the crap circumstances, your wife will be glad she made the trip. Best wishes that things go as smoothly as possible.

Last edited by Justcol; Oct 27th 2019 at 10:52 am.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 8:52 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear Escape! It's a shit thing, really shit. I hope you and family are holding up OK xx
Old Oct 27th 2019, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

So very sorry to hear this Escapedtonz. Sadly a burden that many of us share being so far away. You're in my thoughts. Xx
Old Oct 28th 2019, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the support.
We've never had to go through anything like this before and it is probably the worst thing we've ever experienced and wouldn't wish it on our worst enemy. Obviously knew it was going to happen at some point but man it's a shocker when it does. This is the first of our 6 parents (my mum & dad divorced and both remarried) to have suddenly fallen ill without the possibility to recover so starts the inevitable ball rolling so to speak and they're between 75-82 years old.
The Mrs is en route to Doha. Lands in about 11 hours. She has a mountain to climb and so frightened, more so for her Mum who's been looked after by dad for the past 57 years and doesn't even know bank accounts, who they pay bills to, credit cards, insurance etc. Can't even turn the computer on. Can drive but hasn't for at least 10 / 15 years.
As far as I know he's hanging on in there so really hope she gets there in time.
Cheers.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Father in Law died around 4am UK time today.
The health professionals looking after him suspected today would be his day and the Mother in Law stayed with him overnight so she has that comfort of being with him and seems a lot stronger that we expected. Unfortunately the Mrs didn't make it in time but she seems ok with that now knowing that Mum was with him.
Just come off the phone to the rest of the family and even though we all shared a few tears they seem in pretty good spirits.
RIP Brian. You were an absolute diamond
Old Oct 29th 2019, 8:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I am sorry to read of this loss. There is never a right or a good time.
It isn't the physical distance that makes it all so hard , it is the final ever out of reach.

Watch for your MIL. She may seem OK now as this is the first moments. It will be later that she will need a huge amount of quiet support.

All the best and I hope your FIL's final farewell is all that everyone would wish .

Old Oct 29th 2019, 10:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really sorry to hear that. Condolences to you and your wife. It's crap being so far away at times like this.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 1:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences to your wife, yourself and family. It's a really tough time for all of you. I'll second what BEVS said about your MIL.
Take care x
Old Nov 4th 2019, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

A4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this, Op.

My condolences and best wishes going forwards for your families
Old Nov 10th 2019, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the messages.
Funeral Monday arvo. Mrs flying back Tuesday evening doing the Mcr - Dubai - Auckland run on Emirates and lands back in Aucks thursday late morning.
It's been an emotional couple weeks for all concerned especially the kids who not only grieve int heir own way for grandad but also have Mum 18500KM's away and can only talk via video message
Old Nov 10th 2019, 3:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Thanks for the messages.
Funeral Monday arvo. Mrs flying back Tuesday evening doing the Mcr - Dubai - Auckland run on Emirates and lands back in Aucks thursday late morning.
It's been an emotional couple weeks for all concerned especially the kids who not only grieve int heir own way for grandad but also have Mum 18500KM's away and can only talk via video message
I hope she has told the airline that she is newly bereaved. They may well block any seat next to her as an act of kindness & for her privacy. It may be required to show a death cert when checking in.

Old Nov 10th 2019, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I hope she has told the airline that she is newly bereaved. They may well block any seat next to her as an act of kindness & for her privacy. It may be required to show a death cert when checking in.
Air nz did this for me
I was flying home and heard that my mum had passed when I was changing planes at Hong Kong. I was moved to an empty row and given a big box of tissues. The crew were excellent.