Fact or Fiction

Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:58 pm
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about
Default Fact or Fiction

Hi guys,

Have been reseraching NZ for a while now and am hoping to move out there next June, I am a student currently have to complete a year in industry next year am hoping to do it in NZ in events managment.

Will be moving out with girlfriend who will be a degree registerd nurse in Sept 2007.

Have been getting conflicting stories so hoping you could help.

First for any medics My GF will have no experince as a qualified nurse but has extensive experince doing 'bank' shifts in the UK and has also completed numerous placements in the UK getting excellant feed back. How hard will it be for her to get a job 1 agency has said she would be able to get a job others say no b'cos of no experince. She realises cant be fussy with what she could do. Would have to be adult nursing tho.

Use an Agency or not to move to NZ?

Auckland is the most vibrant exciting city?

Wellington isnt like the real NZ?

Any other practical advice anyone can offer things they wish they had done b4 moving.

Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fact or Fiction

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz
Hi guys,

Have been reseraching NZ for a while now and am hoping to move out there next June, I am a student currently have to complete a year in industry next year am hoping to do it in NZ in events managment.

Will be moving out with girlfriend who will be a degree registerd nurse in Sept 2007.

First for any medics My GF will have no experince as a qualified nurse but has extensive experince doing 'bank' shifts in the UK and has also completed numerous placements in the UK getting excellant feed back. How hard will it be for her to get a job 1 agency has said she would be able to get a job others say no b'cos of no experince. She realises cant be fussy with what she could do. Would have to be adult nursing tho.

Any other practical advice anyone can offer things they wish they had done b4 moving.

Thanks
Yout GF might be best contacting the Nursing Council of New Zealand for some advice, google their address and e mail them - they are very helpful. My understanding is that most hospitals ask for 12 months post reg experience but I could be wrong. The NCNZ will also give advice on registering and how much (if any) experience you need to register, obviously she will need to be registered to apply for a job plus this will give her extra points. She could also e mail some hospitals and ask their HR department for advice. My OH and I are both nurses and e mailed several hospitals when job hunting and found them all very helpful.
When she does get roud to registering tell her to ask the NMC to send training transcripts to the NCNZ as they do it for free and much quicker han the Uni (in our experience).

We are headed for Welly, we prefered it to Aukland, but it's down to what you want I suppose. Are you in a position to visit before you move? We did a 2 week trip in a camper van and got a feel for different places. Prior to going out Aukland had been 1st choice because of children's hospital but it is so big it put us off a bit ove we got there.

Re agency - we used one and found them invaluable but if you can do it yourself do, as the agencies don't come cheap and the whole process costs enough without adding more uneccesarily (sp).

Good luck, PM us if your GF wants more info re nursing but their are lots of other nurses on the forum who will give you good advice,
Donna
Old Nov 5th 2006, 8:03 pm
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all

Hi guys,

Thanks
Hi Cava, I cannot answer the Auckland question fairly as we only spent a couple of days there at the end of a month on the road, but I will say we found the traffic very busy. The Harbour looked fantastic from the top of the skytower though.

I would definitely recommend not using an agency, try www.immigration.govt.nz for starters instead.

Wellington was a fantastic place, seemed very cultural and cosmopolitan. We liked it a lot and it was second on our choices of where to live.

Good luck anyway
Old Nov 7th 2006, 5:34 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I posted earlier re nursing shortages in North Shore hospital. They're desperate for staff and maybe not so fussy about experience - your gf can only ask.

My husband's from Wellington and says Auckland is not New Zealand Different strokes.........
Old Nov 7th 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

I've only heard it said the other way round! Wellington is where it's at if you like the nightlife & a bit of cafe culture. Auckland feels very different to everywhere else - it is to NZ what London is to the UK. For some people it's the centre of the universe, for others it's almost a different country with little relevance to the rest of NZ.