British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Fa Cup Final 2006 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/fa-cup-final-2006-a-373001/)

mojos May 11th 2006 11:30 pm

Fa Cup Final 2006

Does anyone know where we can see the FA cup final in it's entirety in Tauranga?

We don't have sky but don't wish to have it installed. We were hoping that we'd be able to find a pub/bar that's showing it. So far we've rang a few places down The Strand and some do seem to be showing the match but none of them will be showing the whole match. The best we can do is see it until 3.30pm and that's only if there's enough people to be locked in and we'll still miss the last 20 minutes. (The Crown and Badger):(

Does anyone who's been here to see other cup finals know if there are any bars that have more relaxed rules?

Other than that it'll be the replay at 10am in the crown and no internet on until then.

Herm May 12th 2006 2:09 am

Re: Fa Cup Final 2006

Originally Posted by mojos
Does anyone know where we can see the FA cup final in it's entirety in Tauranga?

We don't have sky but don't wish to have it installed. We were hoping that we'd be able to find a pub/bar that's showing it. So far we've rang a few places down The Strand and some do seem to be showing the match but none of them will be showing the whole match. The best we can do is see it until 3.30pm and that's only if there's enough people to be locked in and we'll still miss the last 20 minutes. (The Crown and Badger):(

Does anyone who's been here to see other cup finals know if there are any bars that have more relaxed rules?

Other than that it'll be the replay at 10am in the crown and no internet on until then.

Have you tried the Grumpy Mole or even the Sports Bar over at Fraser Cove. Both have been known to stay open until the very small hours.

Cheers

mojos May 12th 2006 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Herm
Have you tried the Grumpy Mole or even the Sports Bar over at Fraser Cove. Both have been known to stay open until the very small hours.

Cheers

Thanks for suggestions but already rang these and the G/mole is open but has music only and the sports bar will be closed. :( Think we need a bar tucked away that doesn't have official closing times.

Getting a proper night's sleep and watching the replay seems to be the option at the moment.

Herm May 12th 2006 3:46 am

Originally Posted by mojos
Thanks for suggestions but already rang these and the G/mole is open but has music only and the sports bar will be closed. :( Think we need a bar tucked away that doesn't have official closing times.

Getting a proper night's sleep and watching the replay seems to be the option at the moment.

Alternatively get together with friends a few beers and a sky box :beer:

Stu75 May 12th 2006 3:10 pm

Forget about Liverpool v West Ham. You should be worrying about the REAL Cup Final on Saturday........Hearts v Gretna ;)

C'mon the black and whites !!

mojos May 12th 2006 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Stu75
Forget about Liverpool v West Ham. You should be worrying about the REAL Cup Final on Saturday........Hearts v Gretna ;)

C'mon the black and whites !!

Yeah right. That'll be a classic ;)

Hope your team wins :)

RodandEm May 15th 2006 11:01 am

WHAT a final !!!!

Liverpool fan through and through, but i wish they'd stop doing that to me !!

robbish May 15th 2006 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by RodandEm
WHAT a final !!!!

Liverpool fan through and through, but i wish they'd stop doing that to me !!

What a match, I have been a Hammers fan since I was five, but the Reds are great, it could not have been a better team to have beaten us.

I am an Englishman living in Scotland at the moment until I move to NZ, so I felt I had to chose a decent team for my 3 year old son to follow. West Ham aren't that well followed up here and there is no way my son was going to follow the teams full of sectarian hatred, Glasgow Rangers and Celtic. Man Utd are for people with no imagination and the impressive Chelsea will probably return to averageness when the money dries up. For me the wonderful Liverpool were the only choice and now my son does not shut up about Steven Gerrard!

I was so chuffed for the Hammers to get into the final with Liverpool. The Observer did a great job of writing - up the final, if you get a chance to read it, then do, they summed-up the sheer enthusiasm with which West Ham and Liverpool approached the game. It was one of the best finals I have ever seen. Well done to the Reds!

Bob :)

Woodlea May 15th 2006 8:17 pm

I'm the same as you Robbish, Englishman living in Scotland until NZ, but as I was an Arsenal fan when growing up in Hertfordshire my son's now Arsenal although he was born up here. In fact he converted a few of his school mates to Arsenal so there's a little fan club up here in rural Aberdeenshire now! Where are you going to in NZ?

robbish May 15th 2006 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I'm the same as you Robbish, Englishman living in Scotland until NZ, but as I was an Arsenal fan when growing up in Hertfordshire my son's now Arsenal although he was born up here. In fact he converted a few of his school mates to Arsenal so there's a little fan club up here in rural Aberdeenshire now! Where are you going to in NZ?

Parallel lives my friend! I am originally from Aylesbury, Bucks and went out with a girl in the late 80s from sunny Hemel for 4 years and still keep in touch.

Just left the RAF after my last tour in a place near Wolverhampton, but had a couple of postings to RAF Leuchars, Fife in my time. Loved Fife so much I bought a house in Arncroach near the Bird Flu town of Celllardyke! It is absolutley wonderful here, but could be warmer and that is the main reason for living in Aotearoa. I can appreciate a person who is desperate to leave the Rat Race in London, Manchester or Birmingham, but our countryside here is very similar to parts of NZ and I think it will be sad to leave, but the timing will be good.

The bad points are that there are no other really young kids in our hamlet and you haveto drive 3 miles to the nearest shop of any sort! Ihave been offered a job in the oyal New Zealand Air Force near Palmerston North, and I suppose the money is OK for NZ NZ$50000 but it will be a £8000 pay cut, so I will have to think about it.

We definitely have one thing in common though, I am not a fan of Spurs, they finally get a decent team after posing for years and you still have it over them. Thierry Henry needs to stay for the good of the English game.

Good luck :D in your move and keep in touch

Bob

Woodlea May 16th 2006 6:31 am

Hi Bob,
I'm from Potters Bar / St Albans but went to Scotland in 93, to work in the North Sea, but the work's worldwide now, hence can go where we please. Yes it's lovely in our little area, peace and quiet, but 2 miles to the village, 7 miles to a town, 30 miles to Aberdeen. My mates down south think I'll be less 'remote' in NZ than in Aberdeenshire - which is probably true. It's mainly the weather that gets me down big time, and you probably get it better in Fife! And the state of the country and Europe etc....
Poor Tottenham - bit silly of them getting an Arsenal fan to cook their last supper!
We plan to go to Chch, but yes, keep in touch.
Cheers,
Bob.