Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

An extremely sad day for Norway

An extremely sad day for Norway

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default An extremely sad day for Norway

Well. What can we say or do really ( nothing) other than to give a bit of our time to think of what the people of Norway are currently suffering.

A link to an article on this.

It's shattering for Norway and for all the families involved.

.....and yes. I am aware of the problems elsewhere in the world and here but we can still spare a thought.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:12 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An extremely sad day for Norway

Very true Bevs .
Norway is an incredibly open society.

The Royal Family is free to move about with limited security, both in the nation's relatively small and peaceful cities, as well as on holiday in the mountains or on the coast.

The country's politicians and business leaders mix freely with ordinary people in a manner rarely seen elsewhere in the world.

Few people have secret addresses and telephone numbers - open the phonebook online and you will find links not only to aerial shots of people's houses and maps of where they live, but also details about their email addresses and their place of work.

This is a society where top politicians, business executives and other celebrities often include their private telephone numbers and home addresses on their business cards.

Even their salaries and the size of their fortunes are made public by the tax authorities once a year, only to be plastered all over the newspapers.

Local newspapers do the same with small-town politicians, local shopkeepers and amateur sports people. The public is free to use the taxman's online search engine to snoop on friends and neighbours' financial affairs.

To them, living in an open society has been not just a privilege, but also a statement to the rest of the world; a display of how it is possible to live together in peace.

Such feelings were voiced after the Norwegian publisher of Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses, William Nygaard, was shot and wounded outside his home in Oslo in 1993, after Ayatollah Khomenei issued a fatwa against him.

At the time, the political and intellectual elite stressed the importance of resisting the temptation to respond to the fear as it quickly spread through the population by raising the barriers and increasing the intolerance of those from the world outside.
Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14256438

Can't imagine who would do such a thing really but sometimes terrible things happen to good people. Hopefully they can move on and not let this change their model of a free and open society .
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:26 am
`

That's a great link.
It will change their view somewhat, no matter what.

Will they Keep Calm and Carry On or will they retrench and do the Homeland Security thing.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:36 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

I can remember being in the UK, and upon hearing about International disasters, wondering and worrying if there were any British people involved or harmed. On the television this morning, Julia Gillard announced at a press conference that what had happened in Norway was a terrible thing, but thankfully there were no Australian citizens involved in the atrocities - well whoop-de-do. In the next breath she then went into a prolonged attack on the opposition ministers about the Carbon Tax. I had not, and have not, given any extra thought about my own countrymen, just immense sadness at the events and the devastating effects this will have on the families. Just imagine sending your 14 year old on a camp for the weekend, full of hope and joy for them then this happens. A terrible, needless waste of young lives and a residual, debilitating sadness that will never go away.

Is it a product of moving abroad that makes us more world conscious? It is a great expander, moving to another country, and certainly my views and sensitivities have altered. It is not that we forget our roots, or stop caring about those we left behind, but there is an increased sense of a world community and that all lives are precious, regardless of ethnicity.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:41 am
`

Actually we had this tonight on the noooz.

A section on the Norway massacre and then without warning ,straight onto a picture of John Key and Barack Obama relaxing and having a right ole chat .

I noticed the bottom of their shoes were squeaky clean.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:56 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: An extremely sad day for Norway

Originally Posted by BEVS
That's a great link.
It will change their view somewhat, no matter what.

Will they Keep Calm and Carry On or will they retrench and do the Homeland Security thing.
I think that Norway and Finland (particularly those but others as well) are models of what Western societies should strive towards, us included.

To quote Benjamin Franklin: “They that give up liberty to purchase a little temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security.”
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:19 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine how the families of these victims feel...I'm speechless.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad day indeed for Norway and all concerned.

As with the Julia Gillard selfish bit, I've come to expect the very same of NZ media reports, because they're so desperate to see if they can gain some international recognition or try and get some Kiwi slant or connection out of absolutely any story they can, no matter how far removed.

Actually we had this tonight on the noooz.

A section on the Norway massacre and then without warning ,straight onto a picture of John Key and Barack Obama relaxing and having a right ole chat .
As if they are the best of chums. Yesterday's news was all about how disappointed John Key was after missing out on his breakfast meeting with the top US senators, because they suddenly found they actually had more important things to do in resolving further US debt crises.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:27 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Looks like the killing was conducted one of their own as well which is quite unsettling. To think people living in an otherwise safe, affluent and civilised country could suffer such a thing from one of their own (looks like it may have just been a political thing as well).

I guess we don't want to think normal people could have a violent streak, we could accept it more easily if they where from a different place with a different culture and religion who may have some personal grievance. Just seems like a low blow, we vote to change governments. The irony is, like the Rainbow Warrior pushed New Zealand opinion completely against the Nuclear issue, his actions may end up backfiring if they where found to be politically motivated.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Looks like the killing was conducted one of their own as well which is quite unsettling. To think people living in an otherwise safe, affluent and civilised country could suffer such a thing from one of their own (looks like it may have just been a political thing as well).

I guess we don't want to think normal people could have a violent streak, we could accept it more easily if they where from a different place with a different culture and religion who may have some personal grievance. Just seems like a low blow, we vote to change governments. The irony is, like the Rainbow Warrior pushed New Zealand opinion completely against the Nuclear issue, his actions may end up backfiring if they where found to be politically motivated.
My husband spent a lot of time in Norway when we were first married and says it's one of the most gentle places he's ever been. For myself, I can't come to terms with the fact that anyone would open fire on children. It's just beyond belief

Those poor families
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:50 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Thumbs up Re: An extremely sad day for Norway

Norwegian Prime Minister says something quite thoughtful and inspired : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14260223
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:19 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Well. What can we say or do really ( nothing) other than to give a bit of our time to think of what the people of Norway are currently suffering.

A link to an article on this.

It's shattering for Norway and for all the families involved.

.....and yes. I am aware of the problems elsewhere in the world and here but we can still spare a thought.
An utter nightmare, I can't imagine what would cause someone to do such a thing. Words fail me.....
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:28 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
As if they are the best of chums. Yesterday's news was all about how disappointed John Key was after missing out on his breakfast meeting with the top US senators, because they suddenly found they actually had more important things to do in resolving further US debt crises.
Obama couldn't even get his name right. Perhaps John Key should've had the wisdom to reschedule for when things were less busy, it wasn't the right time to be offering light relief to a country standing on the edge of a financial abyss. I'm surprised they saw him at all.