British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Extra baggage allowance? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/extra-baggage-allowance-402565/)

Am Loolah Oct 16th 2006 7:19 pm

Extra baggage allowance?

Just a quickie - does anyone know if to get the "emigrating" extra baggage allowance do you have to hold one-way tickets and can't get it if you have return tickets?

Something one of the shippers mentioned today, I'd not heard it mentioned before?

Thanking you muchly.

kwprwn Oct 16th 2006 7:31 pm

Re: Extra baggage allowance?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Just a quickie - does anyone know if to get the "emigrating" extra baggage allowance do you have to hold one-way tickets and can't get it if you have return tickets?

Something one of the shippers mentioned today, I'd not heard it mentioned before?

Thanking you muchly.

Singapore Airlines will give those with a migrant visa (you and kids) but not hubby as he is travelling on NZ passport an extra 10kilos but not officially on ticket on a one way ticket, not sure about if travelling on a return ticket, give them a ring and am sure they will advise accordingly

Apple12 Oct 16th 2006 8:12 pm

Thanking you muchly.

Travel via the US = huge baggage allowance. Last time we did it it was 64 kg each!, may be less now though.
Travel via Asia = less baggage allowance. Last time we did it it was 20 odd kg each.
Dunno about the "emigrating" allowance, depends on the airline? I doubt it would work with return tickets though

cakeychef Oct 16th 2006 8:24 pm

Thanking you muchly.

for me (travelling with emirates on 24 november) the conditions are:
1 way ticket
pr visa
flight is validation flight

good luck,

simon :beer:

Am Loolah Oct 16th 2006 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by cakeychef
for me (travelling with emirates on 24 november) the conditions are:
1 way ticket
pr visa
flight is validation flight

good luck,

simon :beer:

Hi Simon, sorry what does validation flight mean? The kids will have both UK and NZ passports so do they count as emigrating as born in UK? Hubby can take Tesco's bag for his pants and 1 pair of smart jeans!

Steve Horrell Oct 16th 2006 9:47 pm

Thanking you muchly.

Hi Am loolah

We flew with AIR NZ via LA on a one way ticket and had an allowance of 64kg each! The guideline was checking in two suitcases per person but we ended up taking 13 plus our cabin bags, and they didn't bat an eyelid...

Am Loolah Oct 16th 2006 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Horrell
Hi Am loolah

We flew with AIR NZ via LA on a one way ticket and had an allowance of 64kg each! The guideline was checking in two suitcases per person but we ended up taking 13 plus our cabin bags, and they didn't bat an eyelid...

Hi Steve,

Am a bit anti flying via the States, terrorism threats being my main reasoning, maybe over cautious, but hey, it is quite literally our lives!!! The other downside, from what I've gathered from relatives who've been there recently, is the security checks and measures are endless and very time-consuming. Which whilst may do something towards installing confidence, may not be practical with 4 kids!

13 bags??? Did you not use a shipping company!! Hubby says he'll wear his allowance!

Andrew Cross Oct 16th 2006 10:16 pm

Air New Zealands allowance is now 2 pieces at 23kgs so a total of 46kgs if you travel via the States. It changed a few weeks ago.

Am Loolah Oct 16th 2006 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Air New Zealands allowance is now 2 pieces at 23kgs so a total of 46kgs if you travel via the States. It changed a few weeks ago.

Thank you for that ... do you work for an airline by any chance?! Or just seasoned traveller?

SarahB Oct 17th 2006 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Steve Horrell
Hi Am loolah

Same here.... 64KG each. Its not as much now though. The security checks really didnt take too long... and we had an infant with us so got put in the quicker queue. We were pretty impressed wtih their security checks and that only made us feel more secure about spending time in their country. Air NZ were ok too and the food was fine.

Andrew Cross Oct 17th 2006 8:59 am

Thank you for that ... do you work for an airline by any chance?! Or just seasoned traveller?

I worked at Heathrow and now work for Nz's national airline... :)

Birdey Oct 17th 2006 1:13 pm

Hi
Not sure if it helps, but we were told we had to tell the airline at the time of booking ticket to gain an allowance of upto 40kg with Singapore (we didnt have the perm visas at the time, so couldnt)
However we managed to get a total of 80kg through between 2 of us with no excess.
We took minimal handluggage, so got that 7kg each counted towards the allowance available and then just smiled a lot and were grovelling in our apologies for the overload.
Since then Ive flown with Singapore 4 times back to the Uk, last time we checked in 13 peices of luggage between 3.. A friendly "hello lady" from the toddler did the trick again!

We usually pack a case that we can do without for a few weeks, so that if they wont let it go, we get the relatives to take it around to "air couriers" at the airport we stick it on the next available flight to your destination for about 100 quid for 20kg.. Sometimes you can negosiate a cheaper price with the airline.

Cheers

Thanking you muchly.

cherry Oct 17th 2006 9:00 pm

We fly out next week on the 24th with Air NZ via LA and we have an allowance 2 pieces of luggage each weighing no more than 23 kg each.46 kg each in all should see us through the first 6 weeks I am sure .I have heard they are now keen on charging for excess baggage so we will make sure we are not over the generous weight allownce .

Am Loolah Oct 17th 2006 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by cherry
We fly out next week on the 24th with Air NZ via LA and we have an allowance 2 pieces of luggage each weighing no more than 23 kg each.46 kg each in all should see us through the first 6 weeks I am sure .I have heard they are now keen on charging for excess baggage so we will make sure we are not over the generous weight allownce .

Do you happen to know if children get the same allowance or is it just adults? My 14 and 11 year old daughters' wardrobes and accessorize are way bigger than mine! Hubby's wearing his wardrobe on the flight so we're all having his extra allowance!!

cherry Oct 17th 2006 9:13 pm

Do you happen to know if children get the same allowance or is it just adults? My 14 and 11 year old daughters' wardrobes and accessorize are way bigger than mine! Hubby's wearing his wardrobe on the flight so we're all having his extra allowance!!

Sorry do not know but I would hope that the fare you pay for a child or adult would give the same allowance ,I hope it does as a fare is a fare .I am foefeiting 99% of my allowance for the OH to take all her gear ,where does it all come from \???.
Ring Air NZ on their freefone number to ask .