Extra baggage

Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extra baggage

Well i have just booked our one way tickets to ChCh - how exciting, but just wanted to know how to get extra baggage with air nz, i have heard if you have your visa's in your passports you are allowede extra, but is that automatically or do you have to apply for it?????

Thanks all
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:04 pm
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future
Default Re: Extra baggage

Originally Posted by teebrown
Well i have just booked our one way tickets to ChCh - how exciting, but just wanted to know how to get extra baggage with air nz, i have heard if you have your visa's in your passports you are allowede extra, but is that automatically or do you have to apply for it?????

Thanks all
we had to phone the air line/ticket providers before hand and get it authorised using our visas and passport numbers etc. we flew with emirates so it may be different(i dare say someone will correct me, lol!!).it may be worth either asking your travel agent or air new zealand now and getting it sorted.It makes a huge difference with the excess baggage allowance!!!

Hope this helps
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:14 pm
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Thanks all
We upgraded at got loads and loads of luggage allowance it was superb! Didn't fly Air NZ though, sorry
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all
I've heard that you can get excess baggage if you are emigrating but it depends on the type of Visa you have. Not sure about Air NZ but Emirates told us that if the visa had "indefinite stay" on it then you were allowed 50kg. Apparently airlines don't make this common knowledge so you do need to ask.

Good luck
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of

We flew with Air New Zealand last December to Auckland from Heathrow and we called them beforehand to enquire and they told us we could have two bags each at 23kg each bag. This was due to us emigrating (we had residency visas) They normally only allow 23kg each person in one bag so it was doubled. They were very helpful and we didn't need to book it we just turned up at the airport and they obviously checked the visa and let us have the 4 bags in total.

I would ring them to be sure though as policies change and we did fly in Premium Economy so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it (I didn't think it did but don't want to tell you wrong)

All the best in Christchurch!

Stef
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:44 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks all
Hiya Teebrown,

Air NZ don't offer extra baggage allowance for migrants. You'll be allowed 2 pieces at 23 kilos per person if you travel via the USA, or 20 kilos only if you travel via Hong Kong.

I assume the Stef_Paul travelled via the USA, that's why they got the bigger baggage allowance

Hope this helps,

Jen
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply's, i have also just got this email back from Airnz:
Thank you for your email.

There is no difference to the free checked in baggage allowance for one-way flights.

If your Air New Zealand flights are via Hong Kong, the free allowance is 20kg.

Via Los Angeles it is 2 pieces per person, with each piece having a maximum weight of 23kg, so via Los Angeles the total is 46kg per person.

If you are not sure which route your flights are, please provide us with your Air New Zealand booking reference, which is 6 letters/numbers ending in ‘H’, and we will be happy to advise.

If you did not write your booking reference down, please telephone our Air New Zealand Contact Centre, on one of the telephone numbers below, and after answering a couple of security questions, one of our consultants will be happy to assist.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions you can reply to this email. Alternatively, you can telephone our Air New Zealand Contact Centre on one of the telephone numbers below, or +64 9 357 3000 worldwide.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Air New Zealand Online Support

New Zealand: 0800 737 000
Australia: 13 24 76
USA: 1 800 262 1234
Canada: 800 663 5494
United Kingdom: 0800 028 4149
Overseas: +64 9 357 3000
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:03 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

I flew ANZ via LA and got the full 46 kgs plus handbagge plus laptop (plus coat pockets stuffed with heavy stuff ) .

Some people say the have issues with the LA Border Police but I didn't but there's no shopping opportunity (though with all my pockets and bags full I wouldn't have been able to carry shopping anyway )

For me the trade off was worth it....got all my clothes here
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

hi tee

we are booked via LA so as to get the 46 kg each, only crap thing with air NZ when flying via LA is you cant get extra room for golf clubs you need to use up 1 of your 23kg allowences as they do it by the peice rather than weight, so make sure your bag only weighs 23 . i asked the question of hubbys golf clubs weigh 10 kg can we split other 13 between bags , not allowed , so we get 4 luggage and 1 clubs and 1 car seat and thats our 6 peices

ah well

my friends flying home in an hour they are so excited lol gary had a drink while dropping of there luggage at airport last night for them, mark cant wait to get home while his wife was all puffy eyed, bet that will be me next week lol

caz