British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Extension of PR deadline? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/extension-pr-deadline-502278/)

Hotpots Dec 29th 2007 10:07 pm

Extension of PR deadline?

My daughter is joining us later (when she finishes her course) and wanted to do a bit of travelling on the way to NZ. We (3 of us) will be arriving well within the 12 month limit but she does not want to have to rush down to us to activate her PR.

Do you know of anyone who has extended their entry date by a few weeks?

Or, is there any way that we can activate it for her with her passport?

Maz Dec 29th 2007 10:41 pm

Re: Extension of PR deadline?

Originally Posted by Hotpots (Post 5717175)
My daughter is joining us later (when she finishes her course) and wanted to do a bit of travelling on the way to NZ. We (3 of us) will be arriving well within the 12 month limit but she does not want to have to rush down to us to activate her PR.

Nope never heard of that happening. How on earth would you be allowed to get someone else's passport stamped at POE? :eek: You'd face some problems with immigration if you tried that little stunt, I'm sure. :eek:

happynz Dec 29th 2007 10:57 pm

OK, fair enough. Youth, wanderlust and all that, check.

No, I don't. Sorry.

I cannot imagine that any New Zealand immigration official would stamp a passport of a person not present. I'm fairly confident of that. Your daughter will get one of life's most valuable lessons and that is one will face times where inconvenience and costs have to be sucked up and dealt with.

mickey_d Dec 30th 2007 4:45 am

We asked if we could extend, when it looked like our house wasn't going to sell in time.
Answer - NO CHANCE & you'd have to do it all again.

Hotpots Dec 30th 2007 9:20 am

As I thought, thanks folks. Well it's back to her now, she'll have to fund it all if she doesn't make it

or, come for a visit without her boyfriend in tow, then go back to start the gap trip when the PR is activated

Mickey, our house hasn't sold either ~ it's rubbish here at the mo. OH has a return ticket for Feb but does not want to use it. The house is half packed ~ in limbo land!!!!

Andrew Cross Dec 30th 2007 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Hotpots (Post 5718932)
As I thought, thanks folks. Well it's back to her now, she'll have to fund it all if she doesn't make it

or, come for a visit without her boyfriend in tow, then go back to start the gap trip when the PR is activated

Mickey, our house hasn't sold either ~ it's rubbish here at the mo. OH has a return ticket for Feb but does not want to use it. The house is half packed ~ in limbo land!!!!

How long will she be out of New Zealand for her gap trip??

Hotpots Dec 30th 2007 10:53 am

Well there's a question ~ we have PR as a family.

We (OH and I) will be arriving on the 11th Jan (OH may have to come back to UK in Feb to tie up loose ends).

Son arrives 14th April (or thereabouts) following gap trip to Africa.

Daughter might have to use NZ trip as the starting point (for her gap travels) we thought to activate the 24month RRV.

Oh, and son may be returning to UK in Sept for uni :(

It's all very complicated.:confused:

Maz Dec 30th 2007 6:45 pm

Why don't you just arrive all together, activate your PR, get your stuff sorted out, including offspring's RRVs, then send them off on their merry way? :confused:

mickey_d Dec 31st 2007 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Hotpots (Post 5718932)

Know the feeling & we couldn't do a thing until we had the funds from the sale.:blink: