Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

extending houses/plannig concent

extending houses/plannig concent

Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

fordhjn is on a distinguished road
Default extending houses/plannig concent

hello does any body no how easy or difficult it is to extend your property and how complicated it is with the planning side of it
thankyou steve
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: extending houses/plannig concent

Originally Posted by fordhjn
hello does any body no how easy or difficult it is to extend your property and how complicated it is with the planning side of it
thankyou steve

I guess it depends on your council. If you are not obscuring anyone's light and its within the permitted area..ie so far from your boundary wall, you have sufficient land area for said proposal etc etc you should be fine. I have applied for 3 building consents, one for a spa pool the other for a large conservatory and the final one was a retrospective one to sort out a bedroom on the house that was 'done' without permission before I bought the place. A bit fidly but I did the whole consent and the TD plan for the spa, the other two I had help with from professionals with the paper work. I would go to your local builing control officer and put your plan to him/her and they will tell you if you can proceed. I would recommend anyone to get on with it..all my jobbies have REALLY improved the quality and potential resale of the place.

One bit I do remember was doing the environmental impact statement..stating exactly what the good..and the negative points of the conservatory were. You will need 5% of the floor area for ventilation to an outside wall...windows to another room are not accepted. So if your floor area is 50 sq mts you will need a 2.5 square mt window..which is not that big.

You will need a cert of compliance from an electrician if there's any leccy work done.

Initial papaerwork is in the region of $500, I believe that the end figure is proportionate to what you spend. The $500 IS NOT refundable even if you are refused on planning or building grounds. You will also need to consult with the planning guys. Good luck.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

fordhjn is on a distinguished road

thanks for that infomation it dose not sound to much trouble as long as you do your home work with the council
what about propertys in the lifestyle catagory would the inviromental impact be a lot more trouble
thanks steve
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fordhjn
thanks for that infomation it dose not sound to much trouble as long as you do your home work with the council
what about propertys in the lifestyle catagory would the inviromental impact be a lot more trouble
thanks steve
No I very much doubt it..the less close you are to others the less the environmental impact. That's what it was about..noise, overlooking, cutting out light..all to the detrement for others....and of course to good points..makes the house safer, wamer, less damp etc etc..imprives the quality of my life etc etc.