Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Exporting Wood to NZ

Exporting Wood to NZ

Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Question Exporting Wood to NZ

Hi all,

The saga continues for me with paperwork to support my application. Got blindsided by a NZQA requirment last week after my advisor told me I didn't need one Sending that off via 24 hour courier tonight so hopefully in NZ tomorrow (UK time)

Anywho, I am starting to pack up some items that I won't need and shove them in a container. Thing is, I am making wooden boxes to take these things as they are relativly delicate yet expensive ~ I want them properally protected.

I have just made all but 2 boxes and heard that NZ is a bit..... Twitchy about wood coming into the country.

Is this the case? How do I get around it if so? Do I need to treat the wood prior to departure?

I cannot have the wood steam treated or anything like that in NZ. The boxes will warp but more importantly there will be electronics in the boxes! I can't allow that to get wet!!! Yes, I know, empty the boxes prior to NZ treatment, but incase I can't I am thinking..... Do it this end and you eliminate that whole issue.

So are they picky? If so, what do I do to avoid any NZ treatment or the like? Will they allow me to do wood treatment in the UK or does it have to be NZ treatment?

Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2010, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Exporting Wood to NZ

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
Hi all,

The saga continues for me with paperwork to support my application. Got blindsided by a NZQA requirment last week after my advisor told me I didn't need one Sending that off via 24 hour courier tonight so hopefully in NZ tomorrow (UK time)

Anywho, I am starting to pack up some items that I won't need and shove them in a container. Thing is, I am making wooden boxes to take these things as they are relativly delicate yet expensive ~ I want them properally protected.

I have just made all but 2 boxes and heard that NZ is a bit..... Twitchy about wood coming into the country.

Is this the case? How do I get around it if so? Do I need to treat the wood prior to departure?

I cannot have the wood steam treated or anything like that in NZ. The boxes will warp but more importantly there will be electronics in the boxes! I can't allow that to get wet!!! Yes, I know, empty the boxes prior to NZ treatment, but incase I can't I am thinking..... Do it this end and you eliminate that whole issue.

So are they picky? If so, what do I do to avoid any NZ treatment or the like? Will they allow me to do wood treatment in the UK or does it have to be NZ treatment?

Thanks
hi when we went, i made a box from 4x1 for our pasma telly and no one said any thing then not even packers, but i also lined it with polystyrene to soften the blow if container moved arrived okay and same when we came back
Old Feb 9th 2010, 11:46 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Wood is the worst packaging material to use for export. When I was sending material into Shanghai I had to ensure ISPM15 regs were complied with. Check with.....http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/impor...ging-ihs.htm#3
Better still use plastic!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Better still use plastic!
Can't. Plastic won't take the weights involved in the long term, and these boxes are built for transport and long term storage.

That all seems straight forward. I can take the stuff back out and get them treated no problem and them put them into storage with contents.

Where the heck do I get them treated?

ps. If it makes any difference, the wood is floorboards and kiln dried batons.....?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:09 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

If you use process wood materials that have been subject to high temp i.e MDF, fibrerboard etc you will be OK otherwise timber has to be Heat treated or fumigated with Methyl Bromide be stamp marked and carry a Treatment Certificate! Most packing companies using containers for export will tell you more.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

I might be being blonde, but can you take wooden household furniture??
Like wardrobes and beds....

Thanks!!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks
You can get export treated timber that is pre stamped which is allows to be used as packing in containers that will eliminate any hassle, see extract from bio security

Wood Packaging

Import Permits or Declarations All WPM must be treated and certified according to ISPM 15
Certification Requirements Phytosanitary certificate NOT required
Prohibited Importations
Bark
Insects
Fungi
Soil
Other
Pre-Shipment Inspections None required
Approved Pre-Shipment Treatments
Fumigation See ISPM 15
Antisapstain treatments
Insecticide treatments
Heat treatments See ISPM 15
Preservative treatments
Concessional Release
General
Page last updated: 7 August 2008
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoexr
I might be being blonde, but can you take wooden household furniture??
Like wardrobes and beds....

Thanks!!
Wardrobes and beds are pre treated timber, most wardrobes are made from chipboard that has been treated and beds are made from usually kiln dried timber
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

This is a bit worrying.

I have a lot of antique wooden furniture, which may or may not have been treated, and which certainly doesn't have any "stamps" or certificates.

Am I stuffed?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rushmere
This is a bit worrying.

I have a lot of antique wooden furniture, which may or may not have been treated, and which certainly doesn't have any "stamps" or certificates.

Am I stuffed?
With out really investigating it too much id say if you have it inspected by a reputable company and certified as infestation free you would be covered, but NZ are more concerned with parasites that live in fresher timber and the actual bark, but I would think you will have no issues, we brought over timber furniture and had no issues atall
Old Feb 9th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_B6UGDKsv4

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa7h5-zLG0E&NR=1

sorry, couldnt resist
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:31 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rushmere
This is a bit worrying.

Am I stuffed?
dunno if it helps, but we brought a load of old pine stuff that had been dipped and stripped - it was 'characterful' (erm, full of old woodworm holes etc!!) and we didn't have any probs... also 'untreated' (ie unvarnished or finished) modular shelving from ikea... didn't bring any whickery type stuff, but know that loads of people do bring cane furniture etc - just gets treated here if necessary...

sorry OP, bit off topic!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:39 am

Gizmo is refering to 'green' timber.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Gizmo is refering to 'green' timber.
Gizmo is referring to floorboards as 'Green' Timber is still alive and part of a living tree in his books!

I have a company that I am going to put all my stuff in a container with so I am going to e-mail them and see what they can tell me as I would rather get it done in England. That way, I can forget about it!!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:46 am

Gizmo is referring to floorboards as 'Green' Timber is still alive and part of a living tree in his books!

I have a company that I am going to put all my stuff in a container with so I am going to e-mail them and see what they can tell me as I would rather get it done in England. That way, I can forget about it!!
Excellent They will sort it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.