Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Exporting vw van to NZ

Exporting vw van to NZ

Old Apr 17th 2019, 7:38 am
jogin jo

jogin jo will become famous soon enoughjogin jo will become famous soon enough
Default Exporting vw van to NZ

Hi we are in the process of sending our van over and wondered if any one on here has done this. I noted that Esme61 has done this but not sure if they are still active ? Any advice would be great.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exporting vw van to NZ

Yeah a couple of UK expats we know who are living in the Western Bay Of Plenty brought over one of the more modern VW Campers and a Mitsi Triton pickup from the UK. No issues at all with the VW, but had a major major nightmare with the pickup which cost them at least $8k to get it through compliance. On first inspection in NZ the inspector claimed it had surface rust on the chassis and until it was remedied they wouldn't approve it for use on NZ roads. They could either re-chassis it at $15k + or have an approved mechanic take it apart, remove the rust, apply paint, underbody seal and put it all back together at $8k. That is the way they went but after that it was never the same so flicked it off after a year. All up with shipping costs they must have lost at least $10-15k bringing that vehicle over.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 9:37 pm
jogin jo

jogin jo will become famous soon enoughjogin jo will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your quick response, the information you provided has been useful. I’m hoping we will have no issues with the camper van as it’s also the more modern version too.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 10:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jogin jo
Thank you for your quick response, the information you provided has been useful. I’m hoping we will have no issues with the camper van as it’s also the more modern version too.
I cannot help but know several folk that have imported their vdub campers. Some had no probs with NZ compliance . Some had a bit of electrical work to be done and some had a bit of rust stuff.

All in all they all think they still have a bargain and get great use out of their vans guvent he price and condition of similar here .
One is called Betty & that vdub looks a right old bone rattler.