Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Experiences as a Probation Officer?

Experiences as a Probation Officer?

Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

kroeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experiences as a Probation Officer?

Hi,

I am considering applying to be a Probation Officer in New Zealand. I am currently a manager in the UK Prison Service. Can anyone give me some feedback as to how they have found the job? both for and against please. All information will be of interest.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Experiences as a Probation Officer?

Originally Posted by kroeger
Hi,

I am considering applying to be a Probation Officer in New Zealand. I am currently a manager in the UK Prison Service. Can anyone give me some feedback as to how they have found the job? both for and against please. All information will be of interest.
Bump, does no one have anything to share regards Probation Officer positions/experience or even Corrections?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There were a few prison officers a while back.

Here is a link to one of the threads & another link to past threads.

You may well be our first probation officer.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:09 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you have seen this site:
http://www.corrections.govt.nz/publi...AQ-18Oct06.pdf

There have been issues recently and probation officers went on strike (or work to rule?) but to be honest i have no clue about what exactly - i suspect like many jobs it was over terms and conditions.

You might be able to contact PSA (union) or NUPE (another union, apparently quite big??) and ask them to refer you to a person who understands the industry. Oddly enough this is the second time i have suggested people contact a union on this site. Bizarre.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice

Hi,

Hey,

My OH is a senior officer in the UK, and we're looking at the possibillty of moving to NZ, we had a chat with a girl who's OH is a Probation Officer and they're emigrating sometime this month i think, trying dropping her a line it's Tan0410, she's been a great help...

good luck!!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Cyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Hi there,

I'm going to be working as a nurse in a prison on south island. I got in touch with the HR dept by email, sent a cv and they forwarded it to the relevant manager(s) who then contacted me. We corresponded by email and a couple of phone calls.
I can't comment on the probabation side - but I found everyone very helpful so I'd say drop them an email and see what happens!

Good luck, Sarah
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cyffiwr
Hi there,

I'm going to be working as a nurse in a prison on south island. I got in touch with the HR dept by email, sent a cv and they forwarded it to the relevant manager(s) who then contacted me. We corresponded by email and a couple of phone calls.
I can't comment on the probabation side - but I found everyone very helpful so I'd say drop them an email and see what happens!

Good luck, Sarah
Thanks for the pointers. I am a Senior Officer in the UK at the moment also. I have previously looked at the position of Corrections Officer but fancied a change. I have read all of the previous threads already but was looking for more recent information.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice

Thanks for the pointers. I am a Senior Officer in the UK at the moment also. I have previously looked at the position of Corrections Officer but fancied a change. I have read all of the previous threads already but was looking for more recent information.
Contact Tan if you can (sorry for the pun) Her and her OH are going to work for the DOC, she said that she'd found jobs through an agency, and he was working for the probation service over in OZ. worth a contact, she's really nice and very helpful.

good luck