British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Expensiveness in New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/expensiveness-new-zealand-689490/)

Charismatic Oct 14th 2010 5:14 am

Expensiveness in New Zealand

Taken from Stuff.co.nz today:

..."Nzconsumer" questions why Anchor-brand New Zealand butter can be bought for less in the UK than at home.
I desperately hope someone asks them to justify why this is so :lol:.

Woodlea Oct 14th 2010 5:19 am

Re: Expensiveness in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8917045)

Lack of competition here, no Kerrygolds, Lurpacks, Country Life etc etc - they can charge what they like, as long as people still buy it.

simonsi Oct 14th 2010 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8917045)

Bet its still down to the Common Agricultural Policy or some equally disastrous subsidy that Europe has replaced it with. You have heard of the european butter mountain of old?

BEVS Oct 14th 2010 5:39 am

HHmm

londonescapee Oct 14th 2010 5:59 am

We were talking about the price of cheese, butter etc pretty much anything dairy at work yesterday. Apparently Fonterra own pretty much every single dairy farm in the country and so can charge whatever they please.

Fonterra is chaired by a nasty sounding piece of work who induces his cows early and bumps off any calves that survive the process. Nice. http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/font...actice-3803799 Can you tell I'm not his greatest fan?? :eek:

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the 'owning everything' front though!

BEVS Oct 14th 2010 6:06 am

HHmm

Rissoles the lot of them

MattandJax Oct 14th 2010 6:08 am

Originally Posted by londonescapee (Post 8917099)
We were talking about the price of cheese, butter etc pretty much anything dairy at work yesterday. Apparently Fonterra own pretty much every single dairy farm in the country and so can charge whatever they please.

Fonterra is chaired by a nasty sounding piece of work who induces his cows early and bumps off any calves that survive the process. Nice. http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/font...actice-3803799 Can you tell I'm not his greatest fan?? :eek:

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the 'owning everything' front though!

They do have to sell 4% of their milk to other companies in NZ at cost price though something they complain about bitterly.

LukeandJo Oct 14th 2010 6:58 am

Is New Zealand lamb at a comparable price to the UK?

southerner Oct 14th 2010 7:12 am

Originally Posted by LukeandJo (Post 8917167)
Is New Zealand lamb at a comparable price to the UK?

It is at a the wholesale price point, give or take some currency movements which can swing it +/- 30% either way.
A lot of NZ lamb is sold on special in the UK at Xmas and Easter, as a loss leader to bring the punters in, and the retailers (tescos etc) prune their margins big time for that. So its a bit hard to compare like for like.

LukeandJo Oct 14th 2010 8:51 am

I was being too clever asking that question. All I wanted to know was if it was cheaper or not LOL.

thedtb Oct 14th 2010 9:03 am

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 8917198)
It is at a the wholesale price point, give or take some currency movements which can swing it +/- 30% either way.
A lot of NZ lamb is sold on special in the UK at Xmas and Easter, as a loss leader to bring the punters in, and the retailers (tescos etc) prune their margins big time for that. So its a bit hard to compare like for like.

I did this comparison yesterday:

PS3 DualShock Controller @ £32 in the UK inc free delivery

PS3 DualShock Controller @ $109 in NZ PLUS $5.99 for delivery

According to X-Rates.com that makes it cost roughly £54.55 in NZ

Thats £22.55 more expensive!!

I could buy it in the UK, get a friend to ship it out here and would still pay less than buying it here. (Assuming I don't get hit for any customs tax on its way in)

That's just not remotely possible to defend... Kiwis are financially raped continuously by retailers and/or manufacturers repeatedly... simply because (IMO) they're allowed to get away with it.

Mrs Pointer Oct 14th 2010 9:11 am

I almost fell over when I bought 2 books in NZ and it cost nearly £40. I didn't even look at the prices because I'm so used to buying them in Tesco for a fiver.

Still, that has killed off every high street book store, and I do miss browsing in Borders or Waterstones. Not quite the same on Amazon.

£40 though for a trashy novel and a book on NZ birds! I might have to get a Kindle.

BEVS Oct 14th 2010 10:25 am

Book Depository will become your friend. Don't buy from the shops.

thedtb Oct 14th 2010 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer (Post 8917428)
I almost fell over when I bought 2 books in NZ and it cost nearly £40. I didn't even look at the prices because I'm so used to buying them in Tesco for a fiver.

Still, that has killed off every high street book store, and I do miss browsing in Borders or Waterstones. Not quite the same on Amazon.

£40 though for a trashy novel and a book on NZ birds! I might have to get a Kindle.

Oh my word... I forgot about books. The cost of books out here gets me livid.

I went to Paper Plus to buy my wife a book for her Birthday in June... printed on the back of the book was "£11.99"... the price tag in the store said "$39.99".

I questioned the store manager and asked for justification, her answer was that the exchange rate was roughly $3 to £1 and therefore they weren't far out...

I still haven't decided who she insulted more... me, or herself? Bless!

Still bought the damn book though... being a typical bloke I'd not left enough time to go hunting elsewhere.

Lesson learnt!

dannigirl Oct 14th 2010 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 8917198)

My rellies in Wales always complain about their inability to buy Welsh lamb - there seems to be limited stock or none at all....lots of NZ lamb. Of course I tell them it's the rubbish stuff that has been frozen :eek:

I bought two packs of lamb steaks on special (12 in total - not huge but enough for 2 meals (3 people) in each pack) for £6...I thought that was quite good value but not sure how that would compare to NZ prices.