Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Expats - your opinions please

Expats - your opinions please

Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:12 pm
livewire

Default Re: Expats - your opinions please

Sadly it've found that it's quite the opposite, some people have had some terribly bad misfortune. "There but for the grace of God....."

Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:38 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=livewire]The biggest single factor I've seen that has caused people to return home has been work-related in some way eg, a lower salary than promised, being laid off, bullying and victimisation at work, no career prospects etc. Luck can deal some a very bum deal. [QUOTE]

But this can happen anywhere can't it? I worked with the same people in the UK for over 12 years, had a ball, then suddenly one day, bam! One person, who nobody liked but I always thought was just misunderstood, decided it was my turn for her hitlist and I went through six months of hell in work, and my so called equal opps employers did zilch to help sort it, despite being presented with evidence from me and several other people about this person's behaviour. I was in a trap - if I took it higher I would have had very little chance of further career prospects, and I had to take a much lower salary job to get away for the sake of my health, and the problems still continue in the area this person works. I understand what you mean about sh*t happening in NZ, and the escape routes to another job being more limited than the UK, but the sh*t isn't particular to NZ is it, and that's what some people may read.

We've been very lucky to find what looks to be a good employer here, only time will tell, but isn't there a chance that migrants all over the world will get a worse deal jobwise than the citizens, irrespective of the country they choose to move to, and that's one of the risks you take when you make that leap? No, you shouldn't have to, but I think you're saying that people need to factor this possibility into their reality check and try to get a back up plan just in case, is that right?

I'm probably not saying this very well, the coffee is still brewing, but I think you'll understand what I mean.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:41 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

I think as well if you are in your home country with everything familier and family and friends to fall back on for support if you are having a hard time at work whether it be bullying or having trouble fitting in its alot easier than being abroad. Theres nothing lonlier (sp) in the world than being away from your comfort zone when the shite hits the fan.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:54 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scottish
I think as well if you are in your home country with everything familier and family and friends to fall back on for support if you are having a hard time at work whether it be bullying or having trouble fitting in its alot easier than being abroad. Theres nothing lonlier (sp) in the world than being away from your comfort zone when the shite hits the fan.
Yeah, that has got to have an enormous impact, and I really feel for anyone in that situation. After one month I'm starting to feel the pull of missing family and friends for no other reason than I've just not seen them for that length of time, even though we speak and e-mail regularly, it's just not the same and I don't know how I'd cope if we did have a bad time here.

I just wanted to say in my previous post that employers the world over are good, bad and indifferent, and readers should not read that people's bad work experiences here are because the employers are NZ, just because they're bad employers.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 10:49 pm
livewire

I take your point.

The difference is that most people don't have a chance to suss out their NZ employer much before they arrive to start work. The only contact they may have had may've been an interview over the phone.

In the UK you'd ask around to see what other people think of the employer, visit to look at houses and schools, pick up some details from estate agents, maybe look around the workplace on the day of the interview, get a feel for how easy your new boss is to work with, the car parking, what's the canteen like, when is payday etc. etc.

People take a big gamble going halfway round the world to work for someone they've never met in person and for a salary that may be different to that which was promised.

Job descriptions can be very misleading, "team leader" "project manager" "business unit manager" may not mean what you think they mean. I know of people that have asked for company structures to see where they will fit in but are never given them until after they've arrived.

I think that it is very easy to get caught up with the EOI and ITA process and the euphoria that comes with getting accepted by the NZIS. Maybe some of us have placed a lesser emphasis on getting the job and salary right?

Afterall, people come to NZ to do a job and you're going to be spending a lot more time doing it than living the lifestyle.

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by livewire
I take your point.

The difference is that most people don't have a chance to suss out their NZ employer much before they arrive to start work. The only contact they may have had may've been an interview over the phone.

In the UK you'd ask around to see what other people think of the employer, visit to look at houses and schools, pick up some details from estate agents, maybe look around the workplace on the day of the interview, get a feel for how easy your new boss is to work with, the car parking, what's the canteen like, when is payday etc. etc.

People take a big gamble going halfway round the world to work for someone they've never met in person and for a salary that may be different to that which was promised.

Job descriptions can be very misleading, "team leader" "project manager" "business unit manager" may not mean what you think they mean. I know of people that have asked for company structures to see where they will fit in but are never given them until after they've arrived.

I think that it is very easy to get caught up with the EOI and ITA process and the euphoria that comes with getting accepted by the NZIS. Maybe some of us have placed a lesser emphasis on getting the job and salary right?

Afterall, people come to NZ to do a job and you're going to be spending a lot more time doing it than living the lifestyle.
Visa fever has a lot to answer for doesn't it! And I expect it is harder to change jobs here than in the UK, particularly if you need to prove you can settle easily. Some employers will take advantage of that, maybe we should have an employer blacklist going on the forum!

Do NZIS not have a kind of feedback service where you can discuss problems/progress after you've arrived? If this kind of thing is happening to a lot of migrants they should be aware of it as it could deter other people from applying.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:39 pm
livewire

Visa Fever - good term, like it.

Yes, the immigration service have a market research company that contacts you over the phone and by post. DH answered the questions as he was principal applicant on the visa. I suspect that the responses are used more for targeted advertising than anything else.

DH changed jobs after being here for 6 months - they came looking for him, although he was already looking around and we'd started to seriously look at going to either Australia, or the UK again. He was also considering becoming self employed but after hearing other people's stories doing this I'm so VERY glad he didn't.

NZlanders are notoriously bad at paying invoices on time - everyone seems to have cash flow problems; even the larger more affluent companies are tardy with the readies.

North Shore and ACC are wise to this and charge a 10% penalty if you're late with the rates payment. Self employment is NOT the way to go unless you have enough capital to be able to tide you over until your customers decide to pay their bills.

Last edited by livewire; Nov 3rd 2005 at 6:41 pm.

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:12 pm

Visa Fever - good term, like it.

Yes, the immigration service have a market research company that contacts you over the phone and by post. DH answered the questions as he was principal applicant on the visa. I suspect that the responses are used more for targeted advertising than anything else.

DH changed jobs after being here for 6 months - they came looking for him, although he was already looking around and we'd started to seriously look at going to either Australia, or the UK again. He was also considering becoming self employed but after hearing other people's stories doing this I'm so VERY glad he didn't.

NZlanders are notoriously bad at paying invoices on time - everyone seems to have cash flow problems; even the larger more affluent companies are tardy with the readies.

North Shore and ACC are wise to this and charge a 10% penalty if you're late with the rates payment. Self employment is NOT the way to go unless you have enough capital to be able to tide you over until your customers decide to pay their bills.
Right, so if I set myself up a debt collector and demand 50% of the fee before I even start chasing the scrotes, I'd have no employer who could mess me about, could work from home, therefore keep up with the forum at the same time and wouldn't have to move far from the fridge, and could send the kids in to 'sooorrrt them owt' if I got a tough customer! Sorted!

Steve's going to have to register as self employed but will only be being paid from his employer and before he signed the contract we chatted with a few people who'd worked for them, they said they always got their money on time, so fingers crossed!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:33 pm
livewire

oh yes, become a debt collector, sending the kids in will have the desired effect!!

Sounds like Steve has got things sussed and his employer could turn out to be a real gem. If he isn't then just hope that he doesn't like kids

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:06 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=livewire]Visa Fever - good term, like it.

QUOTE]

Having been in business here for 3 years and many years previous in the UK, i can certainly state that Kiwis are far better at paying invoices than the Brits for us.Is there any evidence to support that Kiwis are notorious late payers?
It was on my list of things i was glad to leave the UK for, trying to get blood from a stone chasing debts over there for our business.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:14 pm
livewire

You use money?

I thought you were a firm advocate of bartering.

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:55 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

You use money?

I thought you were a firm advocate of bartering.
indeed, i'd barter at every possibility,however, in this world of having to deal with big business PPCS havn't got anything i want.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:43 am
livewire

You'll have to get yourself voted onto the board, change from within.

Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:45 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

but i'm sure that would involve wearing a suit and i don't own a suit.PPCS have a dress code and i don't think gummies, shorts and a swanni covered in shit, blood,guts, and afterbirth will be acceptable.

anyone wanna trade a nice farm used swandri for anything?