Expat Exposed

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

loveauckland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat Exposed

I feel the american lady has done far more damage than good by going on the morning program.

I have looked at the site, and its not very well thought out. The arguments are: Obseity, Schooling, Life Style, Pollution and Racism. She bases her claims from the NZ Statistics website. They are freely available - and can be checked before people move out.

All of this coming from an American just doesnt stack up. Has she been to America?

Finally - a main point of her argument is that the Exchange rate between US and NZ dollars is high. Surely that is to do with the low value of the US dollar rather than the NZ one.

Everyone is allowed an opinion - but if it is going to be controversal then it needs to be backed up with a well tuned argument - unfortunately she doesnt have one.

Happy to be in NZ, and privaledged that this country would have me.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Exposed

Originally Posted by loveauckland
I feel the american lady has done far more damage than good by going on the morning program.

I have looked at the site, and its not very well thought out. The arguments are: Obseity, Schooling, Life Style, Pollution and Racism. She bases her claims from the NZ Statistics website. They are freely available - and can be checked before people move out.

All of this coming from an American just doesnt stack up. Has she been to America?

Finally - a main point of her argument is that the Exchange rate between US and NZ dollars is high. Surely that is to do with the low value of the US dollar rather than the NZ one.

Everyone is allowed an opinion - but if it is going to be controversal then it needs to be backed up with a well tuned argument - unfortunately she doesnt have one.

Happy to be in NZ, and privaledged that this country would have me.
I saw her interview this morning on the Breakfast show, and though alot of what has been broadcast about the site seems centralised to her own experiences, she did make one or two pertanent points. The publicity that is thrown out calling people into NZ doesn't say how high the cost of living is and with that why it's one of the main reason's kiwi's leave and go to OZ. I also didn't get the feeling that she thought kiwi's to be inherently racist, just that she had experinced racism and perhaps she was narrowed minded in thinking racism didn't exist in NZ.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

I can not say Ive seen any racism in NZ, but it would be niave at best to suggest it doesnt happen.

But where doesnt it happen? Thats not to say is acceptable - it certainly isn't.

Its all about opinions - and its not great that she hasn't had a good one. However, she says she is educated and well travelled. It can not be that bad if she does what she says "stay a few years, get my money back and leave". Surely she could leave, get a job and get her money back in another country?

Good luck to her - I personally didnt agree with a lot she said, hope it works out for her.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:53 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

All of this coming from an American just doesn't stack up. Has she been to America?
Sorry I missed this. Can you give a little context on who she is and what the woman was saying?

Happy to be in NZ and privileged that this country would have me.
I feel the same way.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:02 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Sorry I missed this. Can you give a little context on who she is and what the woman was saying?

Try this! She seems to be the driving force behind the site
http://www.expatexposed.com/

I feel the same way.
I believe some of her comments were very niave; New Zealand has never advertised herself as a 'Utopia' we'd be full if it had!!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

An American/Chinese lady came to NZ via Germany. She spoke to friends and visited on vacation and liked NZ.

It sounds like she has invested a lot of money - but what on it didnt say. She did say that the housing was expensive - so I assume its that. She lives in Christchurch - maybe should see the pricing in Auckland.

All of her points were valid - as she quoted stats from the NZ Statistics website. My problem is she could have found those stats out before she came. She is on a mission to provide these stats to people thinking of coming out. I dont see the point as the Government do a good job of it anyway.

If what she says is true - she has suffered terrible racism - being called a "chink" everyday in the street.

Her partner (I think) posted on expatexposed saying that Kiwis at work do not involve him, he has made few if any friends and life is an alround nitemare. Her partner also mentioned he had visited a well know expat website and was told to stop moaning and that he had a too privaledged upbringing. Didnt mentioned which website.

Like I say, she seemed extremely educated, well articulated and had some very valid points - but she just hadn't done the research before coming and all her arguments are worse ten fold in her own country. She did come across as a little arrogant (to me anyway) and I got the impression she could talk down to people.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:16 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

OK, just had a glance at her website. Oh whoop-dee-do, a middle-class broad who doesn't like it here.

In the words of a wise man, 'Who gives a sh*t?'
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:19 pm

If what she says is true - she has suffered terrible racism - being called a "chink" everyday in the street.
Weird, that. We live in Christchurch, my wife is from Thailand and she goes about her day without abuse hurled at her. I think the woman is being a bit of a drama queen.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:49 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

ok i understand the need to comment on negative things as it can drive you barmy sometimes (i definitely felt like that when living in the UK away from NZ) but seriously, the entire site appears negative.

By framing the site they way she has it just appears like the whole big exercise was negative and that there were no positives - heck maybe for her there weren't any. Upon reading I see there are actually many posters on the site who do try to steer them away from just negative-negative-negative but it seems they are losing the battle.

This site is far more informative - negatives appear but the posts are generally positive and supportive (and honest).

BTW there is a lot NOT being said - in the work column a person was complaining that he was being paid $7000 less than the contract he signed. That sounds completely fishy - if he is being paid less it would be illegal on the employers part OR (imo a bit more likely) he didn't read something in his contract.

Again, i don't necessarily beleive their experiences didn't happen but i think perhaps they also maybe contributed.

On the plus side, it obviously shows that while every other job known to mankind obviously blows in NZ, the marketers and promoters have obviously been at the top of their game so that is one industry people could go into
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:03 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Like I say, she seemed extremely educated, well articulated.....
No wonder she has trouble living here!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:08 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

I can not say Ive seen any racism in NZ, but it would be niave at best to suggest it doesnt happen.

But where doesnt it happen?
The main racism is against Asians, especially Chinese. It's been suggested, but not 'proven', that the main reason New Zealand has failed to capitalise on foreign language students is because word gets back that this isn't an especially friendly country to study in. The locals aren't burning any crosses on lawns...but it's a place where you can be ignored to death...

Here's a 'funnier' example. I know some Americans who work in the movie business in Wellington...they told me that, whilst the locals were only too happy to brag about Peter Jackson and his movies, at the same time they weren't that happy about having Americans living in the area and some of the locals used to drive around with 'anti-American' bumper stickers on their cars!

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you....

Last edited by Avid; Dec 3rd 2007 at 8:12 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:29 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

She probably moved next door to Campbells.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:49 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

My brain is still ticking over here...

Ok obviously calling someone a chink is racist and horrid.

But i wonder if sometimes the antiamerican thing is also a bit of not quite understanding the humour? ie taking the mickey out of people. Also, while we tend to be completely passive agressive people we also do delight in telling people to get off their high horse (and no, i am not talking about tall poppy which is a very negative thing and should be eradicated)

Yes there is anti americanism in NZ but the implication that it is the standard operating procedure for people is a wee bit insulting. There has been a long post WW2 history of NZ supporting the USA (not withstanding a wee issue with nuke ships...tho technically we never banned American ships - we banned ships where they wouldn't identify how they were powered or what they were carrying...small but important difference). Hell, you talk to women of my grandmothers generation and they get kinda misty eyed thinking about the dashing american soldiers who brought over chewing gum, nylons and taught them to jitterbug. Ok the men of my grandfather's generation weren't quite so accommodating....

There is also a case here, (as it was from my experience from the UK) of not really liking it when Americans (perhaps this is the anti-American sentiment) do assume that their way is automatically better. But my opinion is that New Zealand needs a bit more of that kind of attitude - being proud of ones country - however misguided. I also found that many Americans like people in many countries don't necessarily agree with their Government but damn they will fight to be allowed to have it. Good on them.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Avid
The locals aren't burning any crosses on lawns...but it's a place where you can be ignored to death...
Seems far to many and plenty of those who post here (you're excluded Avid) expect the 'locals' to bend over backwards to welcome them to their homes, parties, BBQs, drinkies nights out etc etc.......plus go out of their way to talk them when out in public...

Should all immigrants have a sticker to wear at all times identifying themselves as people who should be accepted as 'best friends'.......

Maybe a law should be passed that requires all Kiwis to make provision for adopting an immigrant and ensuring their social well being with other Kiwis, the pub, sports, friends etc etc........

WHAT A LOAD OF TOTAL TOSH.....

I often wonder how many of the moaners such as those at the above website and also here, used to fit in 'at home' in their respective 'home' nations. At least with the website being shown on the TV all the miserable people have somewhere to talk to each other.....

I've not felt at all ignored here in NZ and so far people have been incredibly friendly..........this could well be because as a family we get out there do things and actually talk TO people rather than just expect things to happen for us which is what many seem to expect.

I'm completely bemused by the people who say 'I can't make friends', 'No kiwis talk to me' etc etc...................
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by niseysOH
(you're excluded Avid)

(edit)

I've not felt at all ignored here in NZ and so far people have been incredibly friendly....
Of course I'm excluded...I'm one of the few people who would be on this message board complaining if the locals tried to make friends with me. I'm in no great rush to integrate but when it happens, it will happen...naturally and without thought.

As for people being friendly....well.....locals anywhere are full of smiles when rich people turn up and spend a bit of cash, isn't that what you mean. OH?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.