Reload this Page >

Expat from Canada Moving To New Zealand

Expat from Canada Moving To New Zealand

Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Poundstreetcrea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expat from Canada Moving To New Zealand

Originally Posted by garethwm
Hi, may as well get this out into the open. Apart from hiring of locals over immigrants, what other things about what you read are you concerned about? I think in some cases, there is probably some truth that locals are prefered, maybe because they know the systems or whatever. I know of at least one Chinese doctor currently driving taxis in Auckland. On the other hand, I think unemloyment for immigrants is lower than the general population.
According to the blog most people live below poverty line, many expats feel trapped as cannot afford to leave, education is of poor qaulity, and even a 40 year migrant left in June happily back to UK which I'm sure will have a surprise when they return.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
I have heard and read a lot of doom and gloom from people who do not live here. I do live here (about ten minutes walk from what is left of Christchurch Cathedral) and can tell you that in the last 10 months the pace of the rebuild has accelerated noticeably.
If you are referring to a previous post of mine about the Xch rebuild, my own source is from folk that did & do still live there and who still own land actually within the CBD. However this is another topic and not for the OP. It was not doom and gloom . It was as per their view as investing ( choosing not to re-invest) businessmen .
I do agree though. The approved & financed projects that there is, are moving along nicely. Perhaps we should return to that topic in another thread.

All the OP needs to know is that there will be ongoing , sustainable work in his trade for a couple of years to get them here and then resident. After that, they will be free to move elsewhere in NZ if needs be.

think unemloyment for immigrants is lower than the general population
Maybe that is because the NZIS immigration policy is pegged at the moment to ensure skilled migrants have jobs to come to.

As you are coming from Calgary Poundstreetcrea , perhaps you could share what has turned your eyes to NZ rather than somewhere else in Canada.

It could be that as you are tradies , like us, you could choose to use Xchurch as a springboard to somewhere else in NZ , once you have residency. NZ is full of micro-climates but everywhere has access to the outdoors. Just like Europe , Canada, the UK etc. I do all the same type of outdoor stuff here that I did in the UK. It may be that Canada outdoor stuff is a little different because of the huge expanse of land but I think you choose your area to hopefully suit you the best you can.
It will all be about what you think you are looking for.

So what is it thats keeping you in NZ? Should you not only remain if you feel your standard of living is the equal or better than what you had? Why continue to suffer your low standard of living when there is a remedy available?
Which brings me neatly onto this.

Really?

As the OP may be an example of , where you move to may not be what you hoped for or wish. However, this person seems to have found an opportunity to consider another move. Not everyone is able to finance that & other factors come into play.

We do not walk in anyone else's shoes but our own. For many , as I read over and over and over again , all around the world here on BE & in real life, it simply isn't that easy to wind back and retrench. Family, work, money comes into play and that is just the start.

You should also have a chat in the Canada forum.
It may be that what you wish for is still on that land but away from Calgary.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean most expats or most people? Because most expats might be arguable if you were also going to include the oft exploited migrant workers* but if you're going to say most people then it's got to be statistically false because a poverty line is usually established in relation to the economic situation of those around you. If everyone is poor almost no one is in poverty etc.

*migrant worker being a person who moves to work temporarily in a foreign country for economic reasons and not as a disparaging term for an immigrant from a poorer/less developed nation.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:31 am
Just Joined

I love Christchurch and Canterbury

It's true that you do need to bear in mind local people will get preference over immigrant workers but if you take out racism and xenophobia as potential factors (which unfortunately is the case anywhere not just in NZ) this makes a lot of sense. You ideally want to hire to make sure people in your country are in work and people in your country are not going to get cold feet about emigrating or hit visa problems. Be prepared at the possibility you might have to move jobs after a couple of months once you have the NZ experience and you'll be fine.

Cost of living wise you seem realistic, stuff here is more expensive but you get used to it and learn where to go to get some decent bargains.

Housing, people are not lying when they say houses can be cold and draughty and damp. New builds (after the late 90s) are fine but older houses have issues with a capital I. Mostly because NZ labours under the delusion that it doesn't have proper winters. I suffered through my first few winters here before I gave up caring about having to pay more for power during June/July/August and have sucked it up. Much warmer and happier this year.

Christchurch is extremely well placed for outdoorsey stuff. Talk to PomChch she does a lot more than me but it's an awesome base to get out to the mountains etc.

The city did suffer very significant damage from the Earthquakes and this is still having a knock on impact on road closures/road works and housing. I have heard and read a lot of doom and gloom from people who do not live here. I do live here (about ten minutes walk from what is left of Christchurch Cathedral) and can tell you that in the last 10 months the pace of the rebuild has accelerated noticeably. I'm going to get fancy in a minute and try to post a panorama I took standing on Chch's main street which shows building work EVERYWHERE. Rents are also very slowly starting to come down as more rental stock becomes available once people no longer need to rent while their houses are fixed.

Day to day the city has everything you need to have a pretty good time of it. There are a good array of shops (though mostly for now in malls) cinemas, cafes, restaurants, bars etc. There are plenty of events going on to keep you interested. I don't get bored here
Thank you so much Laura x that's such great info. Calgary, is pretty price too an.average 3 bed house in a nice not great suburb is close to $700000 and up our grocery bill is over 800.00 fortnightly and even though I have never had a car accident in 17 years (touch wood) I still pay 370.00 per month in insurance. Only up side Internet is unlimited and fast! -40 winters are not fun and the average wage is $30.00 per hour which means 7 days a week 12 hour days to make ends meet . If it's better than that then I'm so game xxx
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:32 am
`

Originally Posted by Poundstreetcrea
According to the blog most people live below poverty line, many expats feel trapped as cannot afford to leave, education is of poor qaulity, and even a 40 year migrant left in June happily back to UK which I'm sure will have a surprise when they return.
Here is a simply piece of advice to you.

Stop reading whatever it is , if it is unsettling . Could you also not bring that onto BE. That is out of respect to the outside website and also to BE. Thanks.

Meanwhile. You can explore your N Z possibilities and as suggested, you can chat with those n Canada too.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Bevs in reply to your question it isn't just you who I've read (though I'm sorry I did bristle a bit at the non city comment) I have no desire to snipe and troll. I respect you too much and I am happy to accept that people have different opinions and perspectives to mine.

I think for me a large part of it is that this is my home and I feel quite protective and defensive of it. I don't like to see a place which has such value to me and I have worked so hard to explore and settle in dismissed out of hand by people (not meaning you) who can't see beyond the road cones. It's easy to look at what hasn't happened here and be very depressed about it. It's less easy to seek out the little flickers of hope and wonder that survived the quakes and are now flourishing and growing.

Back to the thread
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Calgary, and Canada is an amazing country! It has given me so many opportunities. Which I will be forever grateful. Cost of living is extremely extortionate, as many places are. But as you all can imagine and know it's challenging to raise kids.without grandparents, uncles, aunts, family. We have our Canadian family and by that I mean friends who have taken a relatives place. But I will never move back to the UK love to visit every known again but that's it. My brother lives in Perth WA. I know I couldn't live there so New Zealand was/is as close to Canadaian landscape. Apparently the people are friendly too.

Last edited by Poundstreetcrea; Jul 13th 2015 at 6:54 am.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poundstreetcrea
According to the blog most people live below poverty line, many expats feel trapped as cannot afford to leave, education is of poor qaulity ...
In that case, if that blog says that most people live below the poverty line, when at least 50% of the population are willingjy forking out $90 per month for sky television, then they have a weird definition of poverty. There are a lot of people who struggle, but no one in NZ needlessly lives in my understanding of the word poverty. There are people in real poverty in the favalas of Rio or the slums of Delhi that would do anything to live in Otara or Kaitaia, 2 of NZs poorest places.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:02 am
`

(though I'm sorry I did bristle a bit at the non city comment)
Ach. That is OK.

Remember that for some of us , it is perhaps mourning for what was lost & will not be ever retrieved.
"Non-city" is not my phrase. We knew that city Laura and knew it well. We considered moving there to be more 'central' & less out on a limb.

Gong completely off topic now and also for another discussion, I do think the way is not to be protective and certainly not defensive. Meet it all head on, cones and all.

It will rise Laura and for you it will maybe be a brave new world in a new way. For lots who looked to this as the only South Island city of any size and note , it remains a huge loss.

It doesn't mean we wouldn't wish to see it all there as a vibrant great city. It is just that it is not and it may not be so again for decades to come. These things do take time . Look to other cities worldwide.

For the OP. I still feel this is a good start if they do wish to come to NZ. The job offer is a window of opportunity.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:08 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
sorry but if we had landed up in ChCh when we come over I have no doubt we would no longer be here.
Been there, done that. We had written a list of things that had to be done to return to Britain e.g. book movers, book flights, give notice on our rented house etc.

Then my husband got a job offer that got us out of Christchurch and back to the North Island of New Zealand. The drive to my in-laws who live in Auckland is now only 6 to 8 hours - such fun.

His sister is married with children and he wanted to get to know his nephew and his nieces while they were still children. His eighty year old mother isn't getting any younger.

We've been here nearly four and a half years. New Zealand is nothing more than as expected IMO. I've never thought of it as being much different to Britain which is why I wasn't particularly interested in relocating here.

My husband is a New Zealander and was keen on coming to NZ. He said we could sell our house in Britain, move to NZ, buy a house outright, both get jobs and have more disposable income. Yeah, right.

In reality, we have a mortgage to service despite selling our house in Britain. He's got a permanent job but we are reliant on his income as I've struggled to find work ever since we've been here. I've ended up with temporary jobs that have been few and far between.

I've applied for hundreds of jobs over the years. On the rare occasion I get an interview I usually get turned down because the job went to someone in a similar role which is code for, 'we offered the job to the internal candidate'.

My self confidence and self worth has taken a real hiding because of all the employment rejections I've had.

I live in a small town, about 40,000 inhabitants. It's a nice but small town.

I can't live the rest of my life not in paid employment. I wouldn't rule out a return to Britain.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:12 am
Just Joined

In that case, if that blog says that most people live below the poverty line, when at least 50% of the population are willingjy forking out $90 per month for sky television, then they have a weird definition of poverty. There are a lot of people who struggle, but no one in NZ needlessly lives in my understanding of the word poverty. There are people in real poverty in the favalas of Rio or the slums of Delhi that would do anything to live in Otara or Kaitaia, 2 of NZs poorest places.
Haven't seen/watched sky I'n forever $90. Is a steel lol
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:22 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Snap Shot;116 He's got a permanent job but we are reliant on his income as I've struggled to find work ever since we've been here. I've ended up with temporary jobs that have been few and far between.

I've applied for hundreds of jobs over the years. On the rare occasion I get an interview I usually get turned down because the job went to someone in a similar role which is code for, 'we offered the job to the internal candidate'.

My self confidence and self worth has taken a real hiding because of all the employment rejections I've had.

I live in a small town, about 40,000 inhabitants. It's a nice but small town.

I can't live the rest of my life not in paid employment. I wouldn't rule out a return to Britain.[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry you have had such a crappie time. And on top of it live so close to your inlaws, 8 hours would be too close for me lol it's hard here to break into the job market, but an English accent after the Harry Potter films got you further than before the movie came out. I'm not kidding either! Immigrating is hard in any country, as the grass is never greener on the other side. But along with its perks it has its downside too you.always have to loom at the big picture ..could.you start your own.business?
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Here is a simply piece of advice to you.

Stop reading whatever it is , if it is unsettling . Could you also not bring that onto BE. That is out of respect to the outside website and also to BE. Thanks.

Meanwhile. You can explore your N Z possibilities and as suggested, you can chat with those n Canada too.
Just caught this,
After 17 years living and travelling every inch of this country, a citizen for 14 of those 17 years there is not much I could learn more about Canada, I would be happy to pass on info and help any prospective immigrant to Canada however. I thought the point of these types of forums was to assist with every aspect of immigration. The downs the highs as mentioned the grass is never greener on the other side and the more educated you are about a country and it's people the more successful your experience will be, that unfortunately includes the negative! As it is unrealistic information otherwise and you are setting people up to fail looking through rose coloured glasses wouldnt help a soul!
The blog I mentioned was a continuous barrage of negatively I came here to get realistic views as information on New zealand is hard to attain here unless you get the NZ govt promoting it, unrealistic information. I also mentioned them.as I needed answers to those questions to filter out the crap and the join the bandwagon comments, I plan to research the heck out of the place and if that means the job offer is declined then so.be it. Thanks to who responded I really appreciate the information!!! Have a fantastic day
Old Jul 13th 2015, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I expect every beneficiary in NZ has a Sky TV subscriptions, because that's the way it generally goes when it comes to prioritising use of benefit money and is by no means a measure of wealth. Go figure, how in all the shanty towns around the world you'll find homes with no running water or refrigeration yet there are satellite dishes and TVs blaring out, kids running around shouting out Manchester United and footballers names.

I agree with Mrs Fychan about the general downgrade in living standards, we're far from well off but we live in relative luxury to a lot of those around us and people that we work with. Many here are the 'working poor' living hand to mouth week to week and barely a few dollars a week away from dire straits; going without a lot of things we generally take for granted such as good food, heating, dental visits, proper health care. My office and a number of folks in it seem to be on a continual cycle of sickness, with constant barking and hacking coughs and no doubt due largely to diet and their living conditions.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

I agree with Mrs Fychan about the general downgrade in living standards, we're far from well off but we live in relative luxury to a lot of those around us and people that we work with. Many here are the 'working poor' living hand to mouth week to week and barely a few dollars a week away from dire straits; going without a lot of things we generally take for granted such as good food, heating, dental visits, proper health care. My office and a number of folks in it seem to be on a continual cycle of sickness, with constant barking and hacking coughs and no doubt due largely to diet and their living conditions.[/QUOTE]

It seems everyone had a better lifestyle, than I did in UK. I owned 50% of my house which at the time was rare for a 20 something. Had one kid, hubby was a skilled tradesman, and yet I was working poor, if someone needed clothing it went on credit that meant lower than to already stretched food budget until the clothes were paid off. I couldn't live like that especially as everyone on benefits (shouldn't generalize....most) had vacations every year. Sitting in paid accommodation but council. Now today, if you're a Romanian gypsy it seems you'll be just fine.
It's a struggle here too, it would be anywhere. Dental and optical are just not possible we don't have private health care coverage.
Car insurance is close to a mortgage payment and electric is a mortgage payment as its unregulated. But I can afford groceries and those on benefits are forced in 6 months to get work, in our province at least to take a lower paying job and they cut their benefits. Which I think is great! I don't have a holiday every year. Most do ... .Mexico, is the Spain of UK lol we camp in the mountains it's cheap and the kids love it which we have 3 more off. What industries are you talking about that pay so poorly compared to UK?
Thanks loving the feedback !
Appreciate it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.