Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Expat from Canada Moving To New Zealand

Expat from Canada Moving To New Zealand

Old Jul 13th 2015, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Poundstreetcrea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat from Canada Moving To New Zealand

left England For Calgary Canada almost 17 years ago!
My husband has just been offered a job in Christchurch. In Construction (Drywaller and Taper)
I have been looking at blogs about New Zealand and they are painting a really poor picture of New Zealand, Its education system, Bulling of Children, Locals hiring locals over immigrants.
I know Calgary has its shallow people, and 'fakeness of its people' BUt any input would be really handy! Positive and negative ive done this once I know the missing home feelings, process, etc.
but any info would be great Thanks a million!
Old Jul 13th 2015, 12:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Expat from Canada Moving To New Zealand

I wouldn't call that a poor picture.

It simply means that New Zealand is a real place which has the same real issues as any other country. To say otherwise would be unrealistic.

My suggestion is that you investigate Christchurch and Canterbury and see if you feel it will be for you.

If you have schoolchildren, check out the local schools or ask here. Given your husband is a trade worker, check out his net earnings and do the sums. New Zealand is not a cheap place to live and you should ensure you can gain everything that you wish for from your NZ lifestyle.

Obviously you have done the emigrate thing once before so know the drill.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks BEVS x

I sure will look into everything, The blog /comments I found were not on this site, but I found myself reading between the lines, especially as I find once people jump on the bandwagon of Negative it sets of spiraling. But there were some legitimate comments made that were made for sure! What resonated were the hiring of locals over immigrants even if qualifications/experience were not on the same par in fact less. Calgary and Christchurch are on par for cost of living in fact id say Calgary was priced higher in some instances. Food especially! Costco is a must here! I think people have a view that Canada is cheap, which its far from. Landscape, seems like Canada rolled into two little islands Were are very out doorsey people camp/fish/hike and spend most spare time in the mountains.
I will look into schools etc. as we have 3 in the system.
Thanks a million for the help
Old Jul 13th 2015, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Canterbury is the best bit of the South Island and the South Island is the best bit of New Zealand, in fact the South Island is awesome and has all the good stuff, the North Island is OK but has all the bad stuff
Old Jul 13th 2015, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Canterbury is the best bit of the South Island and the South Island is the best bit of New Zealand, in fact the South Island is awesome and has all the good stuff, the North Island is OK but has all the bad stuff

Thanks, its so great to hear positive feedback! I think Canterbury is the place for us! Looking forward to exploring!
Old Jul 13th 2015, 2:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Poundstreetcrea
What resonated were the hiring of locals over immigrants even if qualifications/experience were not on the same par in fact less.
I think as your husband is a tradesman he may find himself a rung down the ladder a little just whilst he gets to grips with the NZ rules and regs and also the different ways of working in the trade.

Mind you , if he has been hired to work on a specific re-build contract , the employer will be getting him up to speed in no time as that suits the employer. The Canterbury shortages lists exists because there are not enough tradesmen for the area. Just be a little mindful over his rate of pay. It is normal here to bargain a little over the rate.

I would perhaps jostle with Woodlea over the best are of the South Island but that would be me being mischievous.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 3:29 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sorry but if we had landed up in ChCh when we come over I have no doubt we would no longer be here.
Although coming from a working class background in the UK I was not prepared for the standards of living here being so low and it is still something I struggle with on a daily basis.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
sorry but if we had landed up in ChCh when we come over I have no doubt we would no longer be here.
Although coming from a working class background in the UK I was not prepared for the standards of living here being so low and it is still something I struggle with on a daily basis.
Um ... I think this was what the enquirer was meaning. Lol. MrsFychan, you really need to start talking with your family about leaving NZ if those are your true feelings. Its not healthy to be so unhappy. I say that with the best of intentions and one persons opinion. You cant really get any more damning of the country than you have here.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poundstreetcrea
I sure will look into everything, The blog /comments I found were not on this site, but I found myself reading between the lines, especially as I find once people jump on the bandwagon of Negative it sets of spiraling. But there were some legitimate comments made that were made for sure! What resonated were the hiring of locals over immigrants
Hi, may as well get this out into the open. Apart from hiring of locals over immigrants, what other things about what you read are you concerned about? I think in some cases, there is probably some truth that locals are prefered, maybe because they know the systems or whatever. I know of at least one Chinese doctor currently driving taxis in Auckland. On the other hand, I think unemloyment for immigrants is lower than the general population.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 4:46 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I was passing on the fact that I was not prepared for the low standard of living compared to what I had in the UK and was not coming from a privileged background just a normal run of the mill working class family. I did my research and still shocked, valid point.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I love Christchurch and Canterbury

It's true that you do need to bear in mind local people will get preference over immigrant workers but if you take out racism and xenophobia as potential factors (which unfortunately is the case anywhere not just in NZ) this makes a lot of sense. You ideally want to hire to make sure people in your country are in work and people in your country are not going to get cold feet about emigrating or hit visa problems. Be prepared at the possibility you might have to move jobs after a couple of months once you have the NZ experience and you'll be fine.

Cost of living wise you seem realistic, stuff here is more expensive but you get used to it and learn where to go to get some decent bargains.

Housing, people are not lying when they say houses can be cold and draughty and damp. New builds (after the late 90s) are fine but older houses have issues with a capital I. Mostly because NZ labours under the delusion that it doesn't have proper winters. I suffered through my first few winters here before I gave up caring about having to pay more for power during June/July/August and have sucked it up. Much warmer and happier this year.

Christchurch is extremely well placed for outdoorsey stuff. Talk to PomChch she does a lot more than me but it's an awesome base to get out to the mountains etc.

The city did suffer very significant damage from the Earthquakes and this is still having a knock on impact on road closures/road works and housing. I have heard and read a lot of doom and gloom from people who do not live here. I do live here (about ten minutes walk from what is left of Christchurch Cathedral) and can tell you that in the last 10 months the pace of the rebuild has accelerated noticeably. I'm going to get fancy in a minute and try to post a panorama I took standing on Chch's main street which shows building work EVERYWHERE. Rents are also very slowly starting to come down as more rental stock becomes available once people no longer need to rent while their houses are fixed.

Day to day the city has everything you need to have a pretty good time of it. There are a good array of shops (though mostly for now in malls) cinemas, cafes, restaurants, bars etc. There are plenty of events going on to keep you interested. I don't get bored here
Old Jul 13th 2015, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I was passing on the fact that I was not prepared for the low standard of living compared to what I had in the UK and was not coming from a privileged background just a normal run of the mill working class family. I did my research and still shocked, valid point.
So what is it thats keeping you in NZ? Should you not only remain if you feel your standard of living is the equal or better than what you had? Why continue to suffer your low standard of living when there is a remedy available?
Old Jul 13th 2015, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by garethwm
So what is it thats keeping you in NZ? Should you not only remain if you feel your standard of living is the equal or better than what you had? Why continue to suffer your low standard of living when there is a remedy available?
personal reasons

back on topic
Old Jul 13th 2015, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Coincidentally on Lauras point of bargains, only this morning my partner picked up a new Acer computer, 500 Gb harddrive, Celeron processor for 449 dollars (200 pounds) from Noel Leemings.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
I think as your husband is a tradesman he may find himself a rung down the ladder a little just whilst he gets to grips with the NZ rules and regs and also the different ways of working in the trade.

Mind you , if he has been hired to work on a specific re-build contract , the employer will be getting him up to speed in no time as that suits the employer. The Canterbury shortages lists exists because there are not enough tradesmen for the area. Just be a little mindful over his rate of pay. It is normal here to bargain a little over the rate.

I would perhaps jostle with Woodlea over the best are of the South Island but that would be me being mischievous.

Thanks so much Bevs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.