Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Expat Backlash

The Expat Backlash

Old Nov 8th 2008, 7:11 am

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future
Default The Expat Backlash

How many expats know of fellow Brits (or even a kiwis) who have left NZ to move to overseas?

Does NZ live up to the high expectations offered by the various sales seminars aimed at enticing one to these distant shores?

Out of all the expats I have heard of, I think that the plight of new migrant teachers is the one which baffles me the most. Why do they struggle to find work, especially when they are actively enticed here? What can NZ do about it?

Do you think that more and more Expats are slowly wising up to the ways of NZ? Would you recommend it to your nearest and dearest, knowing what you know?

Or, are you, like Genesis, happy as a sandboy - despite being bitten on the arse by Kiwi-ism (ISM = I, SELF, ME).

Your thoughts, please.
BTW - this thread is aimed at people who have lived in NZ for some time (a number of years)
Old Nov 8th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Expat Backlash

Originally Posted by Jokerman
How many expats know of fellow Brits (or even a kiwis) who have left NZ to move to overseas?
Not Brits but I know a few kiwis - we are adventurous people who like to see and live in the world before returning home to NZ

Does NZ live up to the high expectations offered by the various sales seminars aimed at enticing one to these distant shores?
Absolutely

Would you recommend it to your nearest and dearest, knowing what you know?
Absolutely

Or, are you, like Genesis, happy as a sandboy - despite being bitten on the arse by Kiwi-ism (ISM = I, SELF, ME).

Your thoughts, please.
BTW - this thread is aimed at people who have lived in NZ for some time (a number of years)
Been here 12 years in two sessions so far and plan to stay for good
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Not Brits but I know a few kiwis - we are adventurous people who like to see and live in the world before returning home to NZ

Absolutely

Absolutely

Been here 12 years in two sessions so far and plan to stay for good
I understand that NZ has one of the biggest populations living overseas on a percentage basis in the world.
The figure given was 10% living on a permanent basis outside of NZ.Most living in Australia where ofcourse has easy access for NZ citizens.
Second highest level go to UK.
Please note this does not include the young Kiwis on their year in London and tour of Europe who by and large return when their time is up.
Most immigrant Kiwis cite low wages and enhanced standard of living for reasons of why they left.
Also a number of people use immigration to NZ as a back door entry to Australia once they have aquired NZ citizenship.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching 'A Place in the Sun' last night and it featured a couple who had retired to NZ about 3 years ago. The guy was perfectly happy but the wife wanted to move back to Nottingham to be near family (she's missing out watching nieces and nephews growing up!). He wanted to move to the Algarve if they had to come back. Anyway, the Algarve won and they are leaving NZ - (obviously ok to watch said nephews and nieces from a short distance lol!).
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Your thoughts, please.
BTW - this thread is aimed at people who have lived in NZ for some time (a number of years)[/QUOTE]

My thoughts then. Yes I know a kiwi family that moved to the home counties ..they returned to NZ VERY swiftly!! I have been here well over 3 years and have a large social circle of varied nationalities..all seem happy and NONE are doing the off. Of course we all know that about 500 a week are..and why not. NZ is a very, very ...how can I say...strange place. I would not want to spend an eon here. I guess I am lucky, came in the autumn of my life, well travelled, kids late in life..seen lots, done a bit, been to many countries and this is the 3rd I have lived and worked in. I want to rest my hat. Tasmania has a remote appeal but I doubt I'll do an international move..as for my kids..I love them dearly but fully expect them to get out there and see it all. That means leaving NZ for a while..maybe for ever.

On a final note as I said before re my £56k debacle with Hanover..had I stayed in the UK my house would have gone down by that amount..and it will one day probably be worth the £56k back again. Likewise hopefully overtime we will get most or a large portion of our wedge back..apparently!!

I do not blame NZ as a country in any way atall re the above. Shit happens. No one made me invest it. My choice, my mistake. Humans err, of course I am pissed off...£56k by anyones standards is big money..especially when your overdraft is slowly getting fatter and fatter!!!

I just wish the govt.of the day perchance had stepped in a bit sooner..apparently theres stuff they could have done...but again a few people are to blame not a whole country!!!

Still love it here, content as ever..even in the midst of all the countries woes.

I maybe a happy clapper but I am honest. I often bark on about ALL NZ.s problems and I do not make it out to be a perfect country (cos it aint) and I am honest about not everyone likes the place. I love it but I am not protective about it.

I personally welcome all the negative views on NZ..by God it has its fair share aye. I too understand why people hate it. Its a REALLY strange place. I often ask those thinking of coming... why not give Ozzy a serious thought too..it may well suit y'all better. Ramble over.

Last edited by Genesis; Nov 8th 2008 at 6:47 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in NZ for eight years a long time ago. We still have family in NZ so visit a bit I also have friends there.

However that said two of my closest friends are Kiwis and they live here in Aus near me.

Would we return no.

Locally trained teachers here in Aus have a struggle getting a job despite the fact that they say there is a shortage and I guess its no different in NZ.

Actually my friends and I were discussing NZ the other day and they said they did not like the Maori nationalism and this was coming from someone who is part Maori and has rights there. They said they felt that was why people were leaving. Both said why could it not return to how it used to be when everyone got along.