British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Exhausted (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/exhausted-843906/)

moving2NZ2013 Sep 26th 2014 3:12 am

Exhausted

It's been a long and tough year. A lot of ups and downs. Moved here over a month ago with husband and two children just turned one and two. I'm enjoying being in nz. Been getting v tired lately But woke up today and just feel absolutely exhausted can't function properly . No energy atall.:blink:

Did anyone else have this?

MegMac Sep 26th 2014 3:54 am

Re: Exhausted

I'm feeling the same way. It has been a tough few months and I feel like I'm in recovery mode at the moment. Not sure how long recovery will take. Im hoping to get back to something resembling normal soon.

bearskin Sep 26th 2014 3:56 am

Might be depression? Your GP should be to able help, don't go it alone.

moving2NZ2013 Sep 26th 2014 4:20 am

Thx bearskin. I'm far from depressed I have been in the past but feel happier but just exhausted. But yeh I'll look out for signs.

A Rush And A Push Sep 26th 2014 4:23 am

I'm not surprised you're exhausted - when my kids were that age I was pretty much permanently tired and that was without the additional stresses and strains of moving to the other side of the world! Do you get any time to yourself - just to have a breather and take it all in?

Stormer999 Sep 26th 2014 8:04 am

World renown tonic........:drinkingwine::beer::drinkingwine::be er::drinkingwine::beer::drinkingbeer::drinkingbeer :

Wot problem :blink:

desperateBrit Sep 26th 2014 1:18 pm

im feeling awful today :( extreme exhaustion, i almost fell asleep eating my lunch at pizza express earlier. im finding this whole thing very very stressful. i hope it goes when we arrive but by the sounds of u it doesnt! i hope u feel better really soon :) xx

kshurey Sep 26th 2014 7:06 pm

Don't under estimate the effects of jet lag, it took me months to fully adjust. An old hippy told me that your body flies here but your soul walks.

MrsFychan Sep 26th 2014 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by kshurey (Post 11419811)
An old hippy told me that your body flies here but your soul walks.

oohhh like that - have some karma :thumbup:

BEVS Sep 26th 2014 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by kshurey (Post 11419811)
Don't under estimate the effects of jet lag, it took me months to fully adjust. An old hippy told me that your body flies here but your soul walks.

I like that too. I think that might be me. :p

Bo-Jangles Sep 26th 2014 11:51 pm

Gosh yes, it takes a good two weeks to properly get over the jet lag and on top of all that the long days of packing all your life up in the UK and busy, busy days when you first get here; it can be overwhelming. I remember being in the UK and desperate to get on the plane so I could sit down for 24 hours, but really that's only the start; once you get here you're back into it, running on adrenaline, not eating regular meals and constantly lost and trying to find things, sort housing, new jobs schools, money and whatever. It is bloody hard work and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I think we all suffer that end of term sort of sickness, when you do finally stop to take a breath - I was really sick for a while after we got here and had worst colds and flu of my life and had a total meltdown in a shop when I couldn't find something I wanted.

Get some rest and step away from the never ending list of stuff to do.

bearskin Sep 27th 2014 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11420006)
had a total meltdown in a shop when I couldn't find something I wanted.

That is fantastic. People should have meltdowns more often. :thumbsup:

Charismatic Sep 27th 2014 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11420006)
...had a total meltdown in a shop when I couldn't find something I wanted.

First world problems? :blink:

nzneville Sep 27th 2014 6:24 pm

You have probably been living on adrenalin for some time, and now that you are settling, the adrenalin rush has passed by. I get it from my voluntary work, and suddenly, when there is a lull, I feel utterly exhausted for a few days. I long for a few days to just simply relax, but then the adrenalin kicks in again and off I go.
Try and take at least a few hours out of your schedule, and try to do something that you really want to do - a spa bath perhaps if you can find one, just a little time for yourself, maybe even a walk in a park somewhere and enjoy the beauty of New Zealand.

Evolve2013 Sep 27th 2014 7:26 pm

Perfectly normal with a huge move and 2 young children. All the stress of moving and all the emotional stuff that goes with leaving your loved ones. It is very early days for you and you need to be kind to yourself. I had the same levels of exhaustion and decided to avoid drs. but visited an excellent health food shop (Tauranga) and she recommended Q10 and Spirulina. It certainly worked for me. Perhaps you could give it a try too.